BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-28-2017, 09:55 AM   #1
Slow N54
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

Bay Area suspensions

Anyone in the Bay Area with TCK or Ohlins coils willing to give a quick ride to someone interested in feeling the characteristics of the suspension? Will trade for $/Beer/Food

I'm currently on H&R coils and looking to upgrade but am torn between TCK and Ohlins for my daily. Read great things about both and want to feel what they're like (if possible) before pulling the trigger.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 12:57 PM   #2
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow N54 View Post
Anyone in the Bay Area with TCK or Ohlins coils willing to give a quick ride to someone interested in feeling the characteristics of the suspension? Will trade for $/Beer/Food

I'm currently on H&R coils and looking to upgrade but am torn between TCK and Ohlins for my daily. Read great things about both and want to feel what they're like (if possible) before pulling the trigger.
Why not ST XTA with custom swift springs? Do you need dual adjustment?

I'm in the bay area with this setup - #400/#700 swift springs and the XTA come with the KW clubsport camber plates. They're built in the same plant as the KW V3 and use all KW parts - unless you live in the snow/salt these are perfect for a dual duty car.
      07-31-2017, 01:01 PM   #3
Slow N54
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
Why not ST XTA with custom swift springs? Do you need dual adjustment?...They're built in the same plant as the KW V3 and use all KW parts - unless you live in the snow/salt these are perfect for a dual duty car.
I don't need dual adjustment and won't be tracking/autoXing the car frequently enough for it to matter, was planning on single adjustment.

That's a good point, I never even looked at ST XTAs but feel like I need to now.

The main reason I was considering the TCK coils was that they're Koni-based, more common quicker/cheaper to rebuild when it'll be required in the next few years. There's a lot of hype around the Ohlins and people claiming the valving is fantastic for on-street use as well as track but really, most of my time is spent commuting and some spirited driving around the fun roads we have in the Bay Area so that's not necessary.

Thank you for the input!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 01:02 PM   #4
Slow N54
Rep

Any chance you'd be willing to trade some beer / food or a little cash for a ride sometime so I can see what the ST XTAs+Swift springs ride like?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 01:57 PM   #5
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow N54 View Post
Any chance you'd be willing to trade some beer / food or a little cash for a ride sometime so I can see what the ST XTAs+Swift springs ride like?
No problem, I'm running swift springs so it's probably not an apples to apples comparison to stock XTAs. I'm in San Jose if you'd like to ride around though!
      07-31-2017, 08:08 PM   #6
Slow N54
Rep

PM sent!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 04:53 PM   #7
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Ive run both Ohlins AND ST coilovers.

The Ohlins were more money, and offered some adjustment, and the spring rates were not OK for my 135 (IMO) so I changed the rates a little in the rear.
Ohlins are NICE STUFF! Believe everything you hear about them!

ST coilovers are made by KW, and can be compared directly to KW V1 and V2 as far as I know, just the difference in outer shock case material (only an issue if you live in areas of high corrosion) and the ST's are a LOT less money, but made by KW, a reputable company.

I ran the ST's on my BRZ, and what I liked was that the spring rates that came with the ST's were softer than all the other aftermarket kits, stiffer than stock, but softer than any of the others. I messed my other cars up by going too hard on the springs on a street car, ruining the ride.
Appreciate 1
Rundskop148.00
      08-23-2017, 12:38 PM   #8
Slow N54
Rep

Thank you for the input!

This is the kind of info I'm looking for, appreciate the willingness to help.

Spxxx graciously offered a ride in his 135 so I'll get to experience the XTA+Swift springs first-hand.
Appreciate 0