BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-03-2021, 07:07 AM   #1
Miltonworks
Miltonworks
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Fan keeps running

Morning all. Ok I replaced my thermostat, water pump, radiator and a bunch of hoses. Car seemed fine at first, maybe 600 miles but now fan continues to run with barely any heat. It's like the thermostat is stuck open...the GD brand new thermostat. Does anyone have any other ideas before I tear it all back apart? 😥
Appreciate 1
28vert6.00
      11-03-2021, 08:01 AM   #2
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I'd go through the manual bleed procedure to ensure your water pump is actually working. I had a brand new dealer sourced water pump that was bad out of the box. Had to get a replacement put in after the mechanic went through the manual bleed procedure with the pressure cap off of the coolant reservoir and saw only a weak coolant stream.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 06:20 PM   #3
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Don't happen to have a JB4 or something installed with maybe max cool mode engaged by accident?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 06:33 AM   #4
Miltonworks
Miltonworks
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Thanks guys. I checked the stream and it looks pretty good. Great idea to do the bleed procedure again just to be sure. I do have the jb4 and will double check the max cool. Ran the kid to school this morning and it was frosty. Let car idle for about 10 minutes and checked temps with jb4. Heater seemed to work fine. Both oil and water came to temp and no fan. Then on the drive home the fan comes on. Not driving hard and 27 degrees outside. Weird. I put in a Pure stage 1 turbo at the same time as water pump and thermostat but wouldn't guess that would have anything to do with it.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 08:14 PM   #5
Dalecan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Aston V8VS, F85 X5M, TVR, 128i

Could be faulty thermostat switch, the one beside the oil filter housing.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 12:28 PM   #6
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltonworks View Post
Thanks guys. I checked the stream and it looks pretty good. Great idea to do the bleed procedure again just to be sure. I do have the jb4 and will double check the max cool. Ran the kid to school this morning and it was frosty. Let car idle for about 10 minutes and checked temps with jb4. Heater seemed to work fine. Both oil and water came to temp and no fan. Then on the drive home the fan comes on. Not driving hard and 27 degrees outside. Weird. I put in a Pure stage 1 turbo at the same time as water pump and thermostat but wouldn't guess that would have anything to do with it.
That is the dilemma whenever you make several upgrade/changes at the same time. If something does go awry, then you can't be sure which modification caused it.
Appreciate 0