BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-02-2017, 08:42 AM   #155
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i N55 DCT

Dack, thanks for the detailed pics! I was able to bolt up the flange correctly and repair the threads last weekend.

I'm still working on getting my poorly joined Y pipe welded. I need to figure out how to replace the downpipe studs as mine are severely rusted, before I attempt to uninstall everything. I may use stainless M8x32 bolts with the copper nuts but I’m still trying to see if I can find the original bolts that tap in.

On another note, I think I have figured out the ideal setup for those N55 guys looking to go the PE route and control drone.

I would like to coin this setup as the “ACTIVE PE MOD” to make things simple for those referencing this idea haha!

The PE Y pipe does drone a bit while cruising but sounds great overall with N55 mids. This seems to be more of an issue for the DCT guys as it’s harder to keep the car outside of the RPMs that moan and drone.

The solution I prefer is to use the ExhaustMeister flapper control in conjunction with a PE modded muffler.

The advantages are that you can retain the stock black chrome tips without having to make them work the hard way and you have a fully functioning exhaust flapper valve! Also all you would need is the Y pipe and a good welder to help mimic the PE muffler (straight pipe for the flapped side).

While cruising, the ExhaustMeister allows you to open and close the flapper on demand by pressing the garage door buttons on your rear-view mirror. This shuts the drone up to an acceptable level while cruising.

I may be one of a handful of guys running this setup, possibly the only one.

Interestingly, my car came with the PE Y pipe and stock muffler. I’m assuming the previous owner sold the muffler but didn’t bother with the Y pipe. He also had a really bad exhaust shop assemble everything with shit parts and methods, hence all the repairs.

Keep in mind there are two style stock mufflers for our cars. One designed for the N54 (internal Y bend perforated) and another for the N55 (internal Y bend not perforated). The Y section here is not to be confused with the “Y” pipe. This is the section INSIDE the muffler. With my setup I simply wrapped the pipe with the three larger holes to make the flapped pipe a straight pipe. My muffler is identical to the PE muffler aside from the added benefit of having a flapper valve to quite things down on demand.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      05-02-2017, 07:04 PM   #156
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

dandandan Another way to reduce drone is to lay down some dyna-matt sound deadening under the trunk liner floor - in and around the com/mulf box area. A lot of 1M owners did this to reduce drone... and it should also work for any 135i driver too. I remember one 1M onwer who used a small pillow to reduce the noise coming thru the trunk floor area!!

For me... the PE makes my 135i sound so special. I love the sound! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that music that comes out of exhaust. I still get complements on my exhaust. But I have a manual and a N54. I friend of mine with a N55 dct has a 200 cell AR high flow cat... with his stock exhaust and damn does his car sound great coming out of the hair pin turns in the Alps on your Alpine adventures.

I've only gotten one negative comment from a non-car guy at my work... he always asks me when I'm gonna get that hole in my exhaust fixed... and I just chuckle.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 03:35 AM   #157
d k
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWless for few weeks

Catless dp or catless mid pipes?

Hello

Id like to do one or the other to my N54 and cant decide which...

Im sure the catless dp is better performance but the cattless mid (n55) pipes sound pretty good.

Im hesitant in removing both cats in case aimget pulled over so Im thinking of dong on ore another.

Whats the thinking of the brain trust here?

David
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 07:53 AM   #158
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by d k View Post
Hello

Id like to do one or the other to my N54 and cant decide which...

Im sure the catless dp is better performance but the cattless mid (n55) pipes sound pretty good.

Im hesitant in removing both cats in case aimget pulled over so Im thinking of dong on ore another.

Whats the thinking of the brain trust here?

David

I would not do either.

You have to ask yourself what IS the end goal ?

For me it was a nice-r sound from the exhaust - and putting N55 catless mids on my N54 did not achieve that! The N55 mids just increased the loudness of the car(under WOT)... and in fact I felt like it hurt low end throttle/torque under 3K rpms. One of the reasons I went back to stock setup. After driving around with the N55 mids... I pretty much bit the bullet and ordered a BMW Performance Exhaust. I reinstalled the N54 mid pipe(with the secondary cats) and installed the PE's resonator delete. I am so happy with the results.

The N55's were a $450 waste of money and time. I just should have gone with the $850 PE to begin with.

Perhaps IF I had to do it all over again... I might do just a resonator delete on the stock N54 exhaust system. IF I had a N55 135i, I would upgrade the main cat to a higher flowing 200 cell cat/downpipe - a friend's 135i sounds so good with this setup. But the PE really achieved what I was after... a GREAT sounding exhaust, even when driving slowly thru a village. And during WOT it just sounds AWESOME!

But I am totally happy with my PE. Very happy indeed. Just the other night I was driving down a long downhill sweeper and hearing those pops and gurgles never gets old. I LOVE my PE!! I am constantly getting complements from other drivers about my PE.

Here is me driving around Southern Bavaria with my PE...
Appreciate 1
jemfff12.00
      06-04-2017, 01:46 AM   #159
d k
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Man I miss living in Europe ...

Did you re tune or re flash at all?
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      06-04-2017, 01:48 AM   #160
d k
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

My end goal is more power, less weight and then good sound.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      06-04-2017, 12:13 PM   #161
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Man I miss living in Europe ...

Did you re tune or re flash at all?
Nope, never. I have had this tune since about 40K kms. My car has almost 140K kms on it now. Never so much as a hick up or engine check light. A flash tune is the only way to go IMHO.

Quote:
My end goal is more power, less weight and then good sound.
Hate to break you the news... no exhaust system will increase the HP on our cars. The PE has the other two criteria's checked off.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 03:55 PM   #162
d k
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Nope, never. I have had this tune since about 40K kms. My car has almost 140K kms on it now. Never so much as a hick up or engine check light. A flash tune is the only way to go IMHO.

Hate to break you the news... no exhaust system will increase the HP on our cars. The PE has the other two criteria's checked off.

Dack
I thought th Berk exh increases by quite a bit?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 06:08 PM   #163
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
I thought th Berk exh increases by quite a bit?
They can "claim" a few Hp... but the truth is none of them make any power that you can feel by the seat of your pants. The aftermarket world does just that... make claims. You shouldn't fall for that game.

When I installed the N55 mids on my N54... it felt to me that I was down on torque under 3K rpms. Only a little bit but enough for me to notice.

I remember when the PE came out... someone said that the PE actually lost 5 Hp. I don't really care(or know IF that's true) because the PE is music to my ears. I just love it. Heck some people can't even feel the 22 Hp that the PPK makes!

Dack
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2022, 12:46 AM   #164
uzone02
Rep
Drives: BMW E82 135i

nice one !

I'm gonna do the full de-cat for my N54

Is it gonna loss more low-end torque ?
Appreciate 0