BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-21-2016, 09:04 PM   #1
Diamondblackcars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i M Sport Coupe

DIY Blocked Washer Jets & Washer Bottle Clean

Long story short you need to clean the filters as it is unlikely that you will have a blocked water jet or hose.

There are two very good videos on YouTube that show how to do this job, “see below for the links”.

After watching both of the videos I removed my washer bottle to clean the filters on the ends of the washer pumps and I thought it may help to upload a couple of photos to show the dirt on the filters.

Washing the bottle out alone with a garden hose while the bottle is still on the car will not solve the problem.

I didn’t need to clean out the hoses or the jets as we blew smoke from a cigarette down one of the hoses and it came straight out like a Performance Exhaust.

You only really need a peg to put on your nose and a bit of string and a tooth brush.

The gel that builds up in the bottle smells disgusting and joking aside that is why you may need a peg for your nose and maybe a bucket to vomit in, trust me it is that bad.

The piece of string is to tie on the end of the indicator wire so that you can pull the wire back through the whole in the wing when you replace the washer bottle.

The toothbrush was handy to gently clean the filters with.

The only other thing you may need are some spare Expanding rivets that hold the inner wing to the outer wing, you could actually do the job and hope that you don’t lose them all in the process as they get stuck in the bottom of the wing.

You are likely to lose only one of the three Expanding rivets so you could put the car back together and buy a replacement after finishing the job.

Bmw 1 series blocked washer jets fixed solved

BMW 3 Series Windshield and Headlight Washer Pump DIY Pump Replacement

The part numbers if needed

"61 67 8 374 382" "61678374382" Strainer for wash pump for head lamp cleaning device.

"67 12 8 377 430" "67128377430" washer pump for head lamp cleaning device.

“61 66 7 006 063” “61667006063” Strainer for the washer pump.

"67 12 7 302 589" "67127302589" Washer pump.

1' E82 135i Reserv.,windshield/headlight washer syst
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=61_1879

5mm diameter Expanding rivets "51161881149" "51 16 1 881 149"

5mm diameter Expanding rivets "51161881149" "51 16 1 881 149"
Appreciate 2
ErvGotti123.50
Dackelone10511.00
      11-23-2016, 11:25 PM   #2
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Yay, another DIY! Thanks for posting!

ianc
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2016, 12:04 AM   #3
JBT2
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Great pics, many thanks. I will probably have to do this one day.

Just for the record though, I've been clearing the washer system (usual problem with gunk on the pump filters) on my recently acquired 135i. I used this as a "try before bottle removal" method:

1. Got a 1.5 metre length of 10 mm OD clear plastic tube and carefully fed it to the bottom of the washer bottle - it took a couple of attempts.

2. Syphoned out the bottle into a bucket and then refilled with about 2-3 litres of clean, very warm water.

3. Blew hard down the tube a few times to try to agitate the stuff in the bottom of the bottle and around the filters and immediately syphoned that out.

4. Repeated this about 10 times until only clear water came out.

Refilled the system with clean water and it has been working fine for the last few days.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 01:44 AM   #4
Diamondblackcars
Lieutenant
Rep

I originally tried a similar thing with the garden hose connected to the hot water tap until it ran clear, I had removed the wheel and the inner wheel arch and disconnected the filler hose from the washer bottle so we could put the garden hose straight into the washer bottle while it was still attached to the car.

It cleared the tank of the gunge but it only really worked for a week or so.

I then found the 2nd video for the 3 Series which was really helpful, the chap who has uploaded the video for the 3 series did not mention the indicator light which is connected the washer bottle.
The cable for the indicator light runs down the back of the washer bottle and has to be clipped back on afterwards.

I took the bottle completely of my car so that I could wash it out in my kitchen sink.

I have edited the photo below to show how small the wholes are on the filters, the other photo is the filter that is in my kettle and I stuck a pin in one of the wholes to give you idea of how small the wholes actually are.

The white filter is about the same size as a dust cap on a tyre valve.

My only other concern was that there seems to be two M6 hex bolts that may fix the back of the washer bottle to the car, when you watch the 3 series video you will see that when he undid the 10mm bolt on the front of the bottle the bottle falls out on its own accord.

I sent a message to the person who uploaded the video with my concerns about the two M6 hex bolts that may fix the back of the washer bottle to the car but he did not reply.

#02 SELF-LOCKING HEX BOLT M6 X 2 “07146961201”
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=61_1879

When we put the bottle back on the car the bottle located on the two lugs at the back of the bottle with ease and the 10mm bolt on the front of the bottle went back as easy as it came of., I would get someone to help guide the indicator wire back through the whole in the wing to make life easier as it could possible get snagged in the process.

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 01:55 AM   #5
JBT2
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondblackcars View Post
I originally tried a similar thing with the garden hose connected to the hot water tap until it ran clear, I had removed the wheel and the inner wheel arch and disconnected the filler hose from the washer bottle so we could put the garden hose straight into the washer bottle while it was still attached to the car.
D'oh! That was going to be plan B....
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2016, 02:52 AM   #6
Diamondblackcars
Lieutenant
Rep

We have to thank Dackelone and ilikebmxbikes for this photo that I have stolen.

I don't know how to search this website that well, luckily Dackelone provided me with the link to ilikebmxbikes thread that has the only photo of a washer bottle that I have ever seem on a 1 series with the wing of the car

Ilikebmxbikes 135i build (1M Conversion + S65 V8)
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...8#post13327988
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 05:42 PM   #7
Diamondblackcars
Lieutenant
Rep

I have managed to find a photo of a Windshield cleaning container fitted to a 1 series

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 02:28 AM   #8
JBT2
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Perfect Diamondblackcars! Just the photos I was after.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 01:34 AM   #9
JBT2
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Well, my windscreen washer stopped squirting again. Headlight washer was fine. So, bit the bullet and took out the bottle and pumps etc. with the assistance of the DIY info above.

Windscreen washer pump filter was covered in brownish goo but the headlight washer pump filter was pretty clean - probably because it is a few centimeters higher in the bottle and all the gunk settles to the bottom around the other pump.

One point on the top DIY video - the large "rivet" under the sill is actually a plastic screw sort of thing and is a torx 27. So unscrew it rather than pulling it off. I also managed to find the three expanding rivet pins so could reuse them.

I put it all back together, filled with demineralised water and now both washers blast the water out. Maybe it'll be good for another 8 years....
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 03:03 AM   #10
Diamondblackcars
Lieutenant
Rep

I think my brother used a flat head screwdriver to get the Torx out

I am glad you sorted it, how long did it take you to do the job roughly?

Do you think that it is a fair assesment to say that anyone who is confident enough to jack a car up and take a wheel off there car could do this job?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 03:13 AM   #11
JBT2
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Yes, a flat head would work if you don't have any torx handy.

Taking it slowly after returning stuffed from a full morning out (0530 - 1300 and 300+km) on a BMW Club breakfast run, it took me about 3 hours, including a coffee break and medical attention to self inflicted cuts to my left hand.

And yes, sounds daunting but is quite easy with the video help and photos you have posted.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 03:27 AM   #12
Diamondblackcars
Lieutenant
Rep

Did you use the out of date First aid kit in your boot or did you forget that it is in there?

You Aussies are a tough old bunch so I expect you used some insulation tape
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 03:38 AM   #13
JBT2
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Fortunately the missus had restocked the household first aid kit, so I didn't have to use any of my precious insulation tape.

Before and after photos of my filters:

Last edited by JBT2; 12-04-2016 at 04:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 01:24 PM   #14
Diamondblackcars
Lieutenant
Rep

The first aid kit in my boot expired in 2013 and my plasters that I keep in the house expired in 2001

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 01:40 PM   #15
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Just to add to this thread. I really believe if you only use the OE washer fluid, this should not happen, unless someone can prove me wrong of course.
Appreciate 1
nazali1264.50
      12-07-2016, 05:49 PM   #16
Diamondblackcars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Just to add to this thread. I really believe if you only use the OE washer fluid, this should not happen, unless someone can prove me wrong of course.
I think the jury is still out on this one, a lot of people say that the BMW Washer Fluid causes the problem.

I have used BMW Washer Fluid since the car was new in 2008 and my washer bottle was swimming in a white jelly like lump of mould that smelt that bad that it could make you vomit.

I only do about 2k miles a year so that may have something to do with it, I am quite sure that my washer bottle was only filled for the first time after two years at my first condition based service which was in 2010.

I have cleaned and dried out two bottles this evening and I have put 10ml of Fairy Washing up liquid in one and BMW Screen Wash in the other, I also cleaned out the syringe so that there was no contamination.

I used filtered water as well as that is what I always use in the washer bottle on the car.

I will update this thread in 6 months and a year to see which bottle lasts better.

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 06:00 PM   #17
JBT2
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

I'm just using demineralised water in mine and will continue to do so until we see the results of your experiment. Maybe my pump filters will start to show signs of blocking again by then....
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 12:52 AM   #18
Diamondblackcars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT2 View Post
I'm just using demineralised water in mine and will continue to do so until we see the results of your experiment. Maybe my pump filters will start to show signs of blocking again by then....
Nothing has happened yet, I wonder if I should leave the bottles outside to replicate the weather.

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 04:33 AM   #19
JBT2
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Maybe keep them in a warm dark place - like where the washer bottle lives.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 04:59 AM   #20
Diamondblackcars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT2 View Post
Maybe keep them in a warm dark place - like where the washer bottle lives.
Have you ever noticed how hot the top front edge of the wing/fender gets after driving your car, I noticed it one night when it was cold out and my headlights had steamed up.

The heat is coming from the engine and the wing isn’t hot enough to burn your hand but it would heat the water bottle if the heat travels through the back of the engine bay to the inner wing.

I have come to realise that we will never stop the headlights steaming up as the headlights there self’s get hot, I actually turn my headlights of before I go through the car wash as a swear they steam up more if the lights are left on.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 06:23 AM   #21
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondblackcars View Post
Have you ever noticed how hot the top front edge of the wing/fender gets after driving your car, I noticed it one night when it was cold out and my headlights had steamed up.

The heat is coming from the engine and the wing isn’t hot enough to burn your hand but it would heat the water bottle if the heat travels through the back of the engine bay to the inner wing.

I have come to realise that we will never stop the headlights steaming up as the headlights there self’s get hot, I actually turn my headlights of before I go through the car wash as a swear they steam up more if the lights are left on.
Have you changed your Angel Eye bulbs or headlight bulbs? A lot of guys don't get the back covers back on "fully" and then they get condensation inside the headlights. Then the headlights or ballast or FM3 module fails. $$$$ This is the main reason why I have never changed my AE.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 12:01 PM   #22
Diamondblackcars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Have you changed your Angel Eye bulbs or headlight bulbs? A lot of guys don't get the back covers back on "fully" and then they get condensation inside the headlights. Then the headlights or ballast or FM3 module fails. $$$$ This is the main reason why I have never changed my AE.
I always check that they are on correctly and I get my brother to double check as well and I have thought about buying some new covers as they come with gaskets.

I have put it down to the air on the inside being a different temperture to the outside like on a house, I assumed it was normal for Angel Eyes when I bought the car so I never asked BMW about it early on.
I have taken the backs of on a sunny day and I have even tried a hair dryer from the front.

On the night time they are worse and then they clear during the day, I keep an eye on the headlights especially in the winter and if the water starts to run down the inside I will dry them out.

We shoud call then Angel Eye Tears
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00