BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-03-2014, 11:09 AM   #23
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by InControl View Post
Power has nothing to do with a balanced chassis. Not to be offensive but I don't get you. I'm a fan of the n52 and you have taken it to another level with all the mods yet it took you long time to run a dyno and now show no interest in 0-60 or 1/4 runs.

If you don't want to do it just simply say so.

ESS SC is coming out soon and it would be interesting how the numbers compare to a well tuned n52. To be clear, I don't mean to sound pushy but it would be cool to see your gains over stock and how it holds vs SC.
You don't seem to understand that some people don't give a flying f**k about 0-60 or 1/4 mile times or that the ability to mash a peddle, to them, is not as important as how the car handles and drives as a whole.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 11:36 AM   #24
MarkkyyMan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i

This went off topic quickly.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 11:40 AM   #25
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkkyyMan View Post
This went off topic quickly.
I agree. Sorry for digressing.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 12:16 PM   #26
InControl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 328i coupe

Quote:
Power has nothing to do with a balanced chassis. Not to be offensive but I don't get you. I'm a fan of the n52 and you have taken it to another level with all the mods yet it took you long time to run a dyno and now show no interest in 0-60 or 1/4 runs.

ESS SC is coming out soon and it would be interesting how the numbers compare to a well tuned n52. To be clear, I don't mean to sound pushy but it would be cool to see your gains over stock and how it holds vs SC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
You don't seem to understand that some people don't give a flying f**k about 0-60 or 1/4 mile times or that the ability to mash a peddle, to them, is not as important as how the car handles and drives as a whole.
Looks like you don't get that this is not your thread and no one cares about your opinions about others - not relevant

FYI. You cannot isolate how a car handles/drives from 0-60 or 1/4 times. It may not be the priority but it's still very relevant to overall performance/handling of the car. Noone expects to see faster runs than a n54 or n55, just some stats dude
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 02:10 PM   #27
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:

Power has everything to do with a balanced chassis. Ignoring the 128i, the S2000 or a base Cayman are perfect examples of cars that have vastly more grip and competency than they do power, and as a result ultimately feel boring to drive as you never feel on the edge. As a counter example, the Z3 and Miata feel close to the limit at traffic speeds, given their primitive suspension setups and narrow tires.

When I changed the tires from awful run-flats to Michelin Pilot SuperSports(same tires used on the Ferrari 599 and a pile of other super cars), and swapped the suspension over to the M3 setup with TCK DAs, the car was massively more competent than the engine. As such, power levels had to be raised to match.

None of this was done for competition purposes or to have a "better" car than someone else. My personal driving enjoyment was/is the only focus. I participate on the forum to share technical know-how and my approach to car modifications. It's really that simple.

ESS will be faster. If it's not, they have a serious problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
Spot on.
      09-03-2014, 03:47 PM   #28
InControl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post

When I changed the tires from awful run-flats to Michelin Pilot SuperSports(same tires used on the Ferrari 599 and a pile of other super cars), and swapped the suspension over to the M3 setup with TCK DAs, the car was massively more competent than the engine. As such, power levels had to be raised to match.
I find your posts informative. Some are misses though, such as "power levels had to be raised to match (the suspension)". Your car would have performed the same way had you not increased the power. Your braking, cornering and so on would have been the same. Since you did some power mods, I think you meant to say, it was appropriate (natural) to bump up the power. Agreed!

Not sure about 128's but my 328i coupe comes with the same suspension as the 335i base, thus suspension is up to the task. Regardless of the mods, every car has limits and it's wise to test them in the right circumstances.

FYI. I don't care if you run or not the 1/4 mile, it would be cool though to see your mods and the results. To each their own
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 04:27 PM   #29
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6SPD E82

Quote:

When I changed the tires from awful run-flats to Michelin Pilot SuperSports(same tires used on the Ferrari 599 and a pile of other super cars),

Spot on.
Why man. PSS suck for performance. They are a good DD tire but not for a hard core junkie.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 05:23 PM   #30
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobeballer96 View Post
Why man. PSS suck for performance. They are a good DD tire but not for a hard core junkie.
Do you have PSS tires? Have you driven a car with PSS tires? You've undoubtedly seen posts where others report tire damage from track use of PSS tires. I do not know what to make of those reports but I intend to use mine in an autocross when my schedule allows and expect them to perform well. Maybe they won't. But when you see them on cars well into six figures, making the sort of comments you made above just seems ignorant. They are really nice tires. Maybe not for track use but most of us rarely get a chance to drive on a track.
      09-03-2014, 06:54 PM   #31
MarkkyyMan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i

Quote:
Isn't Stigs car a DD?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 07:17 PM   #32
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Do you have PSS tires? Have you driven a car es? You've undoubtedly seen posts where others report tire damage from track use of PSS tires. I do not know what to make of those reports but I intend to use mine in an autocross when my schedule allows and expect them to perform well. Maybe they won't. But when you see them on cars well into six figures, making the sort of comments you made above just seems ignorant. They are really nice tires. Maybe not for track use but most of us rarely get a chance to drive on a track.
Some people don't just daily drive, and want something that is more aggressive for weekends.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 09:33 PM   #33
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Do you have PSS tires? Have you driven a car with PSS tires? You've undoubtedly seen posts where others report tire damage from track use of PSS tires. I do not know what to make of those reports but I intend to use mine in an autocross when my schedule allows and expect them to perform well. Maybe they won't. But when you see them on cars well into six figures, making the sort of comments you made above just seems ignorant. They are really nice tires. Maybe not for track use but most of us rarely get a chance to drive on a track.
Yes driven in them on a m3 and 128i and a 2013GTR. On the street they all said it was good for street but on track they switch over to better compounds like Michelin Cups. for Autocross I wouldn't consider pss at all. You want a good compound like the RS3 or Z11, BFG rivals, Re11s that's going to heat up in that short time span and as well stick.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 06:49 AM   #34
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I find your posts informative. Some are misses though, such as "power levels had to be raised to match (the suspension)". Your car would have performed the same way had you not increased the power. Your braking, cornering and so on would have been the same. Since you did some power mods, I think you meant to say, it was appropriate (natural) to bump up the power. Agreed!
You are really missing the point and I'm not sure how to lay it out more clearly to you.

Quote:
It's a daily driver. It's a daily driver. It's a daily driver. It's a daily driver. It's a daily driver. It's a daily driver. It's a daily driver. It's a daily driver.

The tires are perfect for hard steet use, which is good as that is exactly what they are subjected to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkkyyMan View Post
Isn't Stigs car a DD?
Yes.
      09-04-2014, 08:38 AM   #35
InControl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You are really missing the point and I'm not sure how to lay it out more clearly to you.

It's a daily driver. It's a daily driver. It's a daily driver. It's a daily driver. It's a daily driver. It's a daily driver. It's a daily driver. It's a daily driver.

The tires are perfect for hard steet use, which is good as that is exactly what they are subjected to.

Yes.
It's all good. This thread should return to 1/4 mile runs.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 02:12 AM   #36
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep

There's been delay in shipping for my car to Nc from Germany. But once it gets here I'll take her to the track for giggles with the crew and see what she runs. I have sticky tires, and disa too so we should see.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 12:55 PM   #37
Rated-M3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '98 M3, '10 128i

Quote:

Yes.
I would agree, but not to say they are junk. I was impressed with their grip and response but they are definitely not on par with the Dunlop ZIs and ZIIs I've had in my E36. It's a different level tire so that's expected. The main thing is, I am confident enough in them that my wife would not get in any dangerous situations with the RWD on the street. We swap on Michelin snow tires in the winter when temps get below the optimal for summer tires.

That said here's an AutoX video in my wife's car with square 235/40/18 PSS, stock sports suspension. I wasn't used to the car still propelling forward after braking due to the automatic transmission, which caused me to overshoot corner entry all day. I guess I'm used to the stronger force of deceleration from the engine braking in my E36. Other than that, the tires were soooooo much better than the stock tire sized Hankook V12s that were on their before.

[u2b]http://youtu.be/0ltvtv4wl1Q[/u2b]

Meh, here's the link: link
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 01:30 PM   #38
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Embedded for you:

09-06-2014, 05:26 PM   #39
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

The only autocross I've run since buying my bimmer is at the BMW performance center. When we are there, there is at least one instructor from the school there. They give "fun rides" in M cars, M3s, M5s or M6s. Usually there are a couple instructors using M3s and M5s (so they have 4 doors for passengers). What sort of tires do you think they use? They are stock tires so it would be PSS. The instructors drive the course with 3 passengers on-board about as quickly (within 5 seconds) as the fastest cars in the autocross. Their tires wear out quickly but don't loose chunks.

I'm not saying that the incidents reported didn't happen. But I am saying that at least on this track, it is possible to drive very quickly on PSS tires. I won't be as fast but I still plan to try mine.