BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-18-2018, 06:47 AM   #1
rowsdower
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport

Indy pricing

I have a 2011 128i in the Dallas area and I try to do most maintenance myself. I have an oil pan gasket leak and a set of headers to install and really don’t have that much time to do these jobs, and each is quite involved. Since I do my own maintenance I don’t have a great idea of what is reasonable pricing. A local indy shop quoted me just over $1k to install headers which seems a bit high. Can anyone confirm if this is in the ballpark of what I should expect? They also won’t give me a price on the gasket until I bring the car in. I guess I figured they would have a rate table or something where they could give me a ballpark cost. I’m a bit skeptical that they would need to diagnose this - I’ve been pretty clear what is leaking and what I want them to replace, so I’m not sure why I can’t get a price over the phone.

So what’s the reaction from those who pay indys regularly - am I being taken for a ride here or is this normal?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 08:14 AM   #2
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
I paid $650 to have headers installed, but it was in 2015 in NC, so not apples to apples. I don't think there is really a "going rate" for these things that is hard and fast, but $1000 does seem high. It could be that they're quoting high as a buffer, or that they don't really know what's involved. Is this a performance-oriented shop? I have had about 50/50 luck with indys: some are really good about mods, a few will even accept customer-supplied aftermarket parts. Others are really by the book and more interested in repair of BMWs to OE standard (i.e., not into tuning). Those places seem to discourage would-be modders with high quotes, rather than come outright and say what they mean, in my experience.

RE: the oil pan gasket, I think they just don't want to quote a price for a repair when they haven't even seen the car yet. Yes, you know what the problem is and you've told them, but they still need to do their diagnostic work in order to do the job right and be able to stand behind the repair. I feel like they could've given you a ballpark rough estimate, but really, even that takes time to research and write up (unless they're very familiar with the particulars) so maybe they didn't want to bother for a maybe customer, when they probably have work right in front of them. Just theorizing.

Maybe call around a few more places. DFW is big enough that you ought to be spoiled for choice, I would think.
      01-18-2018, 09:02 AM   #3
printerror
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i 6MT

Is that $1k including the cost of the header? Otherwise, it's only a dozen or so bolts. I've done headers on straight six BMWs before, it's shockingly easy. 90% of the job is removing stuff that's in the way.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 10:27 AM   #4
Suhb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i Coupe 6-Speed

I did the headers job like four times now. First time took me like 17 hours in the blistering cold of winter, and at mostly at night. Second third and fourth time I did it, took me like 6-8 hours. Oil pan gasket was like 650 labor. Did the engine mounts and oil sensor gasket too while they were in there.
      01-19-2018, 08:50 AM   #5
rowsdower
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the replies guys, these are all good points for me to think about. In truth, the headers are not necessary... I may sell them if it's going to cost me another grand to get them put on.

The oil pan gasket is another story - it must be done. From what I'm reading on the forum it's a 4 hour job for an experienced shop mechanic, so I would expect under $500 for an indy. I may drop it off at this shop and see what they quote me, but if it's going to be another grand I'll DIY it.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 08:53 AM   #6
rowsdower
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by printerror View Post
Is that $1k including the cost of the header? Otherwise, it's only a dozen or so bolts. I've done headers on straight six BMWs before, it's shockingly easy. 90% of the job is removing stuff that's in the way.
$1k for labor only. As Suhb said, it's a pretty big job on this car. It's 16 hard to get at bolts and with the age of our cars all the studs are now rusted. Difficult?
No. Time consuming? Yes. At least for your average DIYer like me on jack stands...
Appreciate 0