BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-27-2018, 05:33 PM   #23
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head View Post
I know this is an old thread, but thank you Dack, the 125i i am picking up is a 2012 and never had a map update and has a 128GH HDD. It has the CIC so i need to check which one i have (premium, motion or move) and basically upgrade it for €39,99.
No problem. If you have any trouble getting an update... I have a few friends in the Munich area that can hook you up with new maps if needed. Just shoot me a pm.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 11:13 PM   #24
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

The biggest problem with the Navigation system in the 1-Series, even the later years, is that it really really SUCKS. The display itself is dimly lit (I adjusted it to maximum brightness in my recently sold 2013 135i and it still was hard to read in most lighting conditions), the unit is an eyesore, and disrupts the simplicity of the top dash line to window interface. The voice prompts are often too little, too late. For the record, I did update the mapping in my 2013 135i Coupe, with the aid of a forum sponsor, about a year ago, and it was not that expensive (~$50) and the update went well. But the unit itself still sucked, bigtime.

I have a several year old Garmin Nuvi that I use from time to time in my other cars which don't have a Nav unit (other than my 2016 Golf R, which has one, which is far superior to the one I had in my 135i coupe). This Garmin Nuvi, although dated, is hugely better than the POS that was in my 135i coupe.

Neither of my remaining 1-Series cars (1M and 135is Convertible) have Nav, for which I am thankful. If I still had a 1-Series car with Nav, I'd probably update it, but the better solution would be to remove it from the car (if feasible) and then if you needed a GPS, go buy a proper freestanding one.
      01-28-2018, 05:12 AM   #25
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: E30 325i 4-Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
No problem. If you have any trouble getting an update... I have a few friends in the Munich area that can hook you up with new maps if needed. Just shoot me a pm.

Dackel
Thank you, appreciated once again i will contact you when i am ready.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 08:21 AM   #26
YearOneOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 135i mineral grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dat128 View Post
how do you get the screen to display whats on the phone?
I did a write up just over a year ago on installing the Bimmertech rear view camera retrofit with the SmartView box:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1207855

You'll see a picture in that thread where I was mirroring the Bimmerpost webpage on my Android phone to my nav screen. Absolutely love the system. I used at various times this week while I was out visiting clients and was able to get around the stupidity that is DC Metro traffic.
You love dc/nova traffic don't lie!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 09:25 PM   #27
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
The biggest problem with the Navigation system in the 1-Series, even the later years, is that it really really SUCKS. The display itself is dimly lit (I adjusted it to maximum brightness in my recently sold 2013 135i and it still was hard to read in most lighting conditions), the unit is an eyesore, and disrupts the simplicity of the top dash line to window interface. The voice prompts are often too little, too late. For the record, I did update the mapping in my 2013 135i Coupe, with the aid of a forum sponsor, about a year ago, and it was not that expensive (~$50) and the update went well. But the unit itself still sucked, bigtime.

I have a several year old Garmin Nuvi that I use from time to time in my other cars which don't have a Nav unit (other than my 2016 Golf R, which has one, which is far superior to the one I had in my 135i coupe). This Garmin Nuvi, although dated, is hugely better than the POS that was in my 135i coupe.

Neither of my remaining 1-Series cars (1M and 135is Convertible) have Nav, for which I am thankful. If I still had a 1-Series car with Nav, I'd probably update it, but the better solution would be to remove it from the car (if feasible) and then if you needed a GPS, go buy a proper freestanding one.
You think this sucks, try a 2016 Audi Q5 Nav. Truly pathetic!
      02-14-2018, 01:35 PM   #28
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep

Ordered and updated the maps to 2018. It was more or less painless, except leaving the car running for two hours. A couple tips:

* The company is in Spain, so watch your credit card. Mine flagged.
* Being that they are in Spain, there is a time lag for communications, which includes giving you the download link. For me is has been around 8 hours.
* The download needs a zip file decompresser WINRAR or 7-ZIP program to extract the file. It pays to download it in advance.
For the actual upload, you have to take a picture of your screen when you start with the first folder and send it to them for a code to update the maps. This takes up to 8 hours, plus lag time for communications.
* Lastly, you need to have 4 8GB USBs to do this, one for each folder. Otherwise you will take over 2 hours for the update, with the engine running, while you upload each folder separately from your computer. It can be done with one, but it takes a long time to upload, erase the file, upload a file to the USB and upload it to the car. There are 4 files to do this with.

Otherwise, for $39, it is a good deal.
      02-14-2018, 07:05 PM   #29
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Ordered and updated the maps to 2018. It was more or less painless, except leaving the car running for two hours. A couple tips:

* The company is in Spain, so watch your credit card. Mine flagged.
* Being that they are in Spain, there is a time lag for communications, which includes giving you the download link. For me is has been around 8 hours.
* The download needs a zip file decompresser WINRAR or 7-ZIP program to extract the file. It pays to download it in advance.
For the actual upload, you have to take a picture of your screen when you start with the first folder and send it to them for a code to update the maps. This takes up to 8 hours, plus lag time for communications.
* Lastly, you need to have 4 8GB USBs to do this, one for each folder. Otherwise you will take over 2 hours for the update, with the engine running, while you upload each folder separately from your computer. It can be done with one, but it takes a long time to upload, erase the file, upload a file to the USB and upload it to the car. There are 4 files to do this with.

Otherwise, for $39, it is a good deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post

Just fiddled with mine on my way back home after picking my 125i.

Did you notice that there are two brightness settings that effect the screen? One if accessed using the BC and one in the iDrive for Control Display Brightness? Had that thing lite up so bright it was distracting me, had to turn it down.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 07:42 PM   #30
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post

Dackel
I would be interested as well, I'll shoot you a pm.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 08:11 PM   #31
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just fiddled with mine on my way back home after picking my 125i.

Did you notice that there are two brightness settings that effect the screen? One if accessed using the BC and one in the iDrive for Control Display Brightness? Had that thing lite up so bright it was distracting me, had to turn it down.
What is a BC?
      02-14-2018, 08:26 PM   #32
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
What is a BC?
Yeah i wanna know too.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 01:18 AM   #33
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep

BC = Board Computer.

You can access the dash brightness settings from there (the toggle on the left side of the steering column) and the "Control display" settings in the iDrive.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      02-15-2018, 08:28 AM   #34
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BC = Board Computer.

You can access the dash brightness settings from there (the toggle on the left side of the steering column) and the "Control display" settings in the iDrive.
Thanks, I will check that out.
      02-15-2018, 10:04 AM   #35
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I will check that out.
There is also two settings in the navigation itself.

One is for night mode, which darkens the screen (i am guessing you are familiar with this) and there is another box labeled "Grey mode/traffic mode" which just greys out everything and it becomes really hard to see. I turned off that "grey mode" and it is brighter than my phone.

Try that as well.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      02-15-2018, 10:33 AM   #36
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep

Quote:

One is for night mode, which darkens the screen (i am guessing you are familiar with this) and there is another box labeled "Grey mode/traffic mode" which just greys out everything and it becomes really hard to see. I turned off that "grey mode" and it is brighter than my phone.

Try that as well.
I was aware of those, and I agree. Gray mode is stupid!
      02-15-2018, 02:08 PM   #37
luv135i
Major
Rep
Drives: White

I updated mine for the second time to the 2018 maps with a lifetime code I got from an ebay vendor for $19. It came with the 2017 maps last year but I updated with 2018 maps that I got from the torrent sites. Its easier if you have 2 usbs so one is updating in the car and the other is being file transferred from your computer so you can just switch them back and forth.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2018, 02:29 PM   #38
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv135i View Post
I updated mine for the second time to the 2018 maps with a lifetime code I got from an ebay vendor for $19. It came with the 2017 maps last year but I updated with 2018 maps that I got from the torrent sites. Its easier if you have 2 usbs so one is updating in the car and the other is being file transferred from your computer so you can just switch them back and forth.
Definitely at least two.

I tend to avoid Torrent. They rip off my videos, and some of the download stuff is loaded with virus'.
      02-15-2018, 03:05 PM   #39
luv135i
Major
Rep
Drives: White

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv135i View Post
Definitely at least two.

I tend to avoid Torrent. They rip off my videos, and some of the download stuff is loaded with virus'.
Thats true. Alot of the vendors that include maps with their codes point you to the torrent site to download the maps haha
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 03:45 PM   #40
DNT13X1
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1

Just uploaded the ‘19 maps from Bimmermap.com. Fast and friendly turn around with Nick. Piece of cake, and the download/upload process was much faster than in the past. Only one file to deal with and one thumb drive upload. No going back and forth. Up and running perfectly. Thanks Nick!
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2018, 02:13 PM   #41
SamelCamel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135is

Quote:

Try that as well.

Uh, our navigation has a day and night mode? I've always assumed it didn't adjust automatically for day and night? Can someone enlighten me?

-Sam
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 02:50 PM   #42
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamelCamel View Post
Uh, our navigation has a day and night mode? I've always assumed it didn't adjust automatically for day and night? Can someone enlighten me?

-Sam
I really dug deep into mine, i could not find any auto mode for day and night, but i had an option to activate night mode or deactivate it. I hot keyed it to the radio button.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 07:21 AM   #43
bobdavisnpf
Hapless Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E88 135i, '89 E30 vert

Hot keying to the radio button seems like a clever workaround. Are there instructions available on how to do this?
      09-16-2019, 03:35 PM   #44
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

I have no idea what's going on with my 2012 135i's CIC system. It won't recognize any USB format with the maps loaded onto it. I can see the USB key gets power so the port isn't dead. Strange enough the same USB key with the same maps and formatting work in my 2012 M3.

Any idea why my E82 isn't recognizing the USB key? I'm using NA Premium 2019 single USB method...

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0