BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-28-2008, 01:33 PM   #1
AtomiK
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Around

Questions about ordering a 135i

Hey guys,

First, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Stephen and I am a 20 year old college student. I am looking to purchase a 135i because I was offered an internship that pays great.

Here are my questions:
-If I order a 2009 135i, what is the approximate time it takes from placement of the order to delivery of the car?
-When I order the car, do I have to make a down payment and pay for all the fees associated with titles and tags?
-I'm thinking of financing it, so would I start making payments once the order is made?
-What is the likelihood that I can get a 135i at invoice price?

Thanks for your time.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 01:38 PM   #2
amurph182
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

just to confirm...you've gotten an internship that either

A) pays enough for you pay for the car outright
or
B) lasts so long that you will be employed by them for the entire time you are paying off the car

Dude...don't bite off more than you can chew. 20 is pretty young to be screwing up your credit or being car-poor while your friends are living it up.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 01:44 PM   #3
AtomiK
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amurph182 View Post
just to confirm...you've gotten an internship that either

A) pays enough for you pay for the car outright
or
B) lasts so long that you will be employed by them for the entire time you are paying off the car

Dude...don't bite off more than you can chew. 20 is pretty young to be screwing up your credit or being car-poor while your friends are living it up.
The internship will last long enough so I can pay off the car. I also have a part-time job on the side for the social life. I don't know how I do it, but after all that work, I still manage to have somewhat of a social life.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 01:55 PM   #4
amurph182
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomiK View Post
The internship will last long enough so I can pay off the car. I also have a part-time job on the side for the social life. I don't know how I do it, but after all that work, I still manage to have somewhat of a social life.
well, in that case, have fun!

Can't speak to the wait time for the car, but:

-when you order you'll put down a deposit, usually $1000-2000. That deposit simply goes towards the purchase price of the car and is a way for you to show that you're intending to buy the car you're ordering. Taxes, tags, etc, are simply added in to the total price of the purchase. Car is $40k and taxes, tags, fees are 1000? You owe them $41k. Simple as that. You pay for the car, minus the deposit you already put down, on delivery.

-you don't start making payments until delivery. When you pick up the car, you're going to sign some paperwork. Among those things are the financing documents. As soon as those get processed, your payment schedule begins. If you're preapproved by a bank for the loan, you'll fill out what is basically a blank check from your bank (up to a fixed amount) and sign it over to the dealer. If the dealer (BMW) is financing it, then you'll have some stuff to sign from them.

-the likelihood of getting it at invoice is small. MAYBE a 2008, and an even smaller chance of a 2009. Plenty of people DO get it at invoice, but that's usually because of some circumstances where a dealer needs to move the car. You can absolutely get it well below MSRP, though, if you just shop around a bit. You can probably get it at only a little bit above invoice if you really put some effort into it. But AT or below invoice? Like I said, not unless they really need to move the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 01:57 PM   #5
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

You usually put down a small amount at time of order $500-$1000. Technically you only purchase the car when the car arrives, therefore you do not start making any payments until the car arrives and you actually sign the paperwork at that time.

You will not get the car at invoice.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 02:07 PM   #6
AtomiK
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

amurph182 and stevenc22,

Thanks for your prompt responses. I have another quick question, I was thinking of ordering one with zero options. Do you think the dealers will say that I have to get options on it or will they let me have my way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeak View Post
what about school?
I work hard and I'm doing pretty well in school, that is how I got the internship.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 02:17 PM   #7
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

When ordering the car, you choose the options you want. I do recommend the USB option and the Sports package though.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 05:58 PM   #8
amurph182
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
amurph182 and stevenc22,

Thanks for your prompt responses. I have another quick question, I was thinking of ordering one with zero options. Do you think the dealers will say that I have to get options on it or will they let me have my way?

I work hard and I'm doing pretty well in school, that is how I got the internship.
what's your major?

as stevenc22 said, if you're ordering the car, you get it however you want.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 12:57 AM   #9
AtomiK
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amurph182 View Post
what's your major?
Accounting.

I also have another question. Since you guys have said that invoice price is almost impossible, would it be possible to shave $1,000 to $1,500 of MSRP? Thanks again for all of your guys' help.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 01:17 AM   #10
selflove
Where's my title?
Rep
Drives: M3

Invoice price may be impossible, but some dealers will go for $500 over invoice if you're good at negotiating. I ordered one for $500 over invoice (plus MACO and training fee), but it took about 2 weeks since I started submitting offers before a dealer finally went with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 02:30 AM   #11
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

Quote:
Accounting.

I also have another question. Since you guys have said that invoice price is almost impossible, would it be possible to shave $1,000 to $1,500 of MSRP? Thanks again for all of your guys' help.
Search up the "Robert Payne" method. You should be able to get a car between 500-1000 over invoice. Btw order the sport package at least. It is very worth it after have driven the car. :biggrin:

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 09:02 AM   #12
AtomiK
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by selflove View Post
Invoice price may be impossible, but some dealers will go for $500 over invoice if you're good at negotiating. I ordered one for $500 over invoice (plus MACO and training fee), but it took about 2 weeks since I started submitting offers before a dealer finally went with it.
What the MACO and training fees for? Also, how much do they add on top of the titles and licensing fees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinzftw View Post
Search up the "Robert Payne" method. You should be able to get a car between 500-1000 over invoice. Btw order the sport package at least. It is very worth it after have driven the car. :biggrin:
I've looked at it and I don't know if it is worth it. I don't think I need the M steering wheel. However, if the seats are just that much more comfortable, I might be down for it.
Appreciate 0