BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
07'335iAlpine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i M-Sport

Help Please!

Had a very rainy week here and i just noticed condensation in my driver side headlight it looks nasty and it is bugging me very much. I can't understand why this would happen just now. I installed Lux h8 v3's and they were perfectly fine for a long while about 1 month now. Now all of a sudden I'm seeing condensation. before anyone says check to see if the back caps are on tight; They are i made sure of this after the install so that i wouldn't have this problem now a month later I'm having this problem. My car has 40,000 miles on the odometer i know it would be covered under warranty but i have lux's installed and i know they will not replace them for me since these are installed. I could take them out and replace the regular halogen bulbs but while i was installing last month i accidentally stepped on one of the bulbs so I'm left with one stock halogen. And to top it off i just had my taillights blacked out along with the headlights blacked out on the edges. ill post some pics, any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Help please.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
07'335iAlpine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Anyone?

?????..........
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
As PITA this may sound... take the cover off and look at the seal around it. You may have installed it correctly, but the rubber around it may be damaged or not properly seated when you placed it back on.

Try that.
      12-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
07'335iAlpine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Is the rubber seal actually around the headlight assembly itself or is it attached to the back cap. Cause my passenger side headlight is not showing any signs of condensation whatsoever, so this is bugging the hell outta me.

Thanks for any help guys.
Jacob
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 06:42 PM   #5
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07'335iAlpine View Post
Is the rubber seal actually around the headlight assembly itself or is it attached to the back cap. Cause my passenger side headlight is not showing any signs of condensation whatsoever, so this is bugging the hell outta me.

Thanks for any help guys.
Jacob
I am pretty sure its in the back of the cap. Take it off and have a look at it to make sure everything is OK on the driver side.
      12-12-2011, 11:29 PM   #6
djpeetur
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

check to see if the bottom notches on the cap are installed correctly
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 01:14 AM   #7
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Sorry to hear that. I know it's no comfort but the seal has been compromised to a degree and you just have to find the location. I've installed upgrades too and I know it is a PITA b/c there is no room for hands down there.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 01:27 AM   #8
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

i feel your pain i hope this doesnt happen to me!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 11:00 AM   #9
07'335iAlpine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Well guys i took it off and put it back on and i thought i fixed it.....so i washed my car lol, and its back. The seal in the back of the cap is intact......im beginning to think its something. but i will check to see if the notches are going in all the way at the bottom. At this moment this is my only hope although when i put the back cover back on it does feel like its not seating right cause it doesn't just press up against the light on its own the bottom where the notches does but up top i have to press it in place then put the wire holders in place. and it feels tight but as one said before it may be the bottom notches. This is really bugging me though cause when i initially did the lux upgrade they were fine no condensation getting in at all completely airtight.i just noticed this after i got my car back from the body shop that did my lights. I'm beginning to think something else may be causing this like a crack or something where its not visible to me since the light is installed back in its place. THIS REALLY SUCKS guys hope none of you have to deal with this same issue. thanks for any and all help.

Thanks,
Jacob
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 11:37 AM   #10
07'335iAlpine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Ok after wash.....

After the wash i took the back cap off and inspected for any cracks on the cap itself and to see if the seal itself is worn or torn anywhere. Answer: SEAL IS PERFECT. nothing wrong with it or the back cap. I left the back cap off so that the inside of the light would dry up and it did. I just went outside to reinstall the back cap and it went in perfectly no trouble at all notched at bottom went in and it seated right both on top and bottom no force needed as earlier. Im hoping this fixed it, if not i got another major problem that had nothing to do with the back cap. PRAY FOR ME GUYS. i don't want to deal with this shit very frustrating as i just got my car back and was really happy with the work they did. Heres some pics of that. Let me know what y'all think, Be Nice.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 01:26 PM   #11
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Stupid caps are such a PITA!
      12-13-2011, 03:39 PM   #12
Salazar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Black 135i

It's your LUX V3's... Sell them to me for $50 shipped

VMR v715 | Rieger Eyelids| ST Coils | Custom Tint | 3D Design | Custom Quad
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 05:54 PM   #13
1-2MANY
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

That sucks bro. You may want to just buy some regular halogens and install them and bring it to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 06:33 PM   #14
07'335iAlpine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Adaptive headlight failure error symbol just came on its not the back caps something more serious. I think I see what it might be but im doubting thats the prob ill post pics for u guys tonight. Im so pissed so much bad luck with this cari havent even been able to enjoy my tune. Such a high payment an insurance to have it in the shop all the time. And im goin to put halogens back in but I had the Ambers turn signals blacked out like storm crows thinking they try an say thats the reason. Wish me luck guys. Thanks for all the interest in my broken,driver headlamp.

Jacob
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 09:12 PM   #15
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
That sucks. Keep us posted and hopefully you can get this sorted out.
      12-14-2011, 07:14 PM   #16
07'335iAlpine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Well this adaptive headlights symbol is bugging the hell outta me i really got to get this resolved soon. but i suppose it won't be till after christmas. I guess i can be grateful that at least my car is running. On another note i got a SES light today...... just my luck. can't wait to have my car running as it should. Does anyone know what where i can get the stock angel eye bulbs for cheap at or what is the part number and what is it called. DAYTIME RUNNING LAMPS? or BI-Xenon bulb?
THanks,
Jacob
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 11:19 PM   #17
denfion
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Well this adaptive headlights symbol is bugging the hell outta me i really got to get this resolved soon. but i suppose it won't be till after christmas. I guess i can be grateful that at least my car is running. On another note i got a SES light today...... just my luck. can't wait to have my car running as it should. Does anyone know what where i can get the stock angel eye bulbs for cheap at or what is the part number and what is it called. DAYTIME RUNNING LAMPS? or BI-Xenon bulb?
THanks,
Jacob
Ok first thing first. The stock bulb for your angel eyes is H8 and you can get it from any car accessories shop, don't buy any bulb with blue tint on it if you want to show it as stock bulb.

The water issue in the headlight has happened on me before on my RX8 (the tail light actually). To be honest I have never touched the tail light, not even changing any bulbs, and I didn't even know there is water inside until one day when I was driving in a rainy day, I got flashed by someone and yelled at me that my tail light is full of water !!!

The best you can do is change the LUX back to stock bulb and get it checked by dealer. I don't think they will be saying your headlight has tinted black which caused the condensation, otherwise ask them to explain how ! (But I think you can just wipe off the tint by some sort of chemical, can't u?)

The water can get inside the headlight not through the seals only, sometimes there are tiny cracks on the plastic which are not visible and water just got in through that. It will be a big hassle to check because the removal of the entire headlight is involved.
      12-14-2011, 11:44 PM   #18
1-2MANY
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

This happened to me last wknd as the xenons failed. I put the stock bulbs in( had Lux) and brought it back to dealer. They replaced everything with no questions asked.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 12:08 AM   #19
denfion
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Why there is a water condensation issue with BMW when most of the Japanese car don't even use any cap on their headlight without any problem? Design fault?
      12-15-2011, 12:20 AM   #20
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by denfion View Post
Why there is a water condensation issue with BMW when most of the Japanese car don't even use any cap on their headlight without any problem? Design fault?
Specially designed BMW Xenons and if they somehow break they can replace certain parts by taking off the cap?

Idk. Seems some lights have seal issues.
      12-15-2011, 01:22 PM   #21
07'335iAlpine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by denfion View Post
Ok first thing first. The stock bulb for your angel eyes is H8 and you can get it from any car accessories shop, don't buy any bulb with blue tint on it if you want to show it as stock bulb.

The water issue in the headlight has happened on me before on my RX8 (the tail light actually). To be honest I have never touched the tail light, not even changing any bulbs, and I didn't even know there is water inside until one day when I was driving in a rainy day, I got flashed by someone and yelled at me that my tail light is full of water !!!

The best you can do is change the LUX back to stock bulb and get it checked by dealer. I don't think they will be saying your headlight has tinted black which caused the condensation, otherwise ask them to explain how ! (But I think you can just wipe off the tint by some sort of chemical, can't u?)

The water can get inside the headlight not through the seals only, sometimes there are tiny cracks on the plastic which are not visible and water just got in through that. It will be a big hassle to check because the removal of the entire headlight is involved.
As i said before, in my earlier post i know its not the backcap for fact.....there is an issue somewhere else on the headlamp. Denfion is completely right, i had an idea of what i thought it was as i said i just haven't had time to post pictures so that a few of you other could check to see if your light is heading in the same direction. after some inspection of the light i noticed what looks to be like stress cracks very small and very unnoticeable but they are there. The other headlamp which looks to be fine has the same things happening to a lesser extent i guess they haven't made it all the way through like the driver headlight did. This however seems to have happened with time perhaps and I'm thinking it found its breaking point here recently when i got the car back as they are fixing the road right in front of my house. it is white rock and very very rough and bumpy. I guess the car didn't like that no matter how slow i went. Im going to get my hands on a stock bulb and take it in to see what the dealer says I'm hoping they don't give me hassle they have before and its the only BMW in Corpus Christi. others are more than 2 hours away.

Thanks,
Jacob
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 03:45 PM   #22
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
As i said before, in my earlier post i know its not the backcap for fact.....there is an issue somewhere else on the headlamp. Denfion is completely right, i had an idea of what i thought it was as i said i just haven't had time to post pictures so that a few of you other could check to see if your light is heading in the same direction. after some inspection of the light i noticed what looks to be like stress cracks very small and very unnoticeable but they are there. The other headlamp which looks to be fine has the same things happening to a lesser extent i guess they haven't made it all the way through like the driver headlight did. This however seems to have happened with time perhaps and I'm thinking it found its breaking point here recently when i got the car back as they are fixing the road right in front of my house. it is white rock and very very rough and bumpy. I guess the car didn't like that no matter how slow i went. Im going to get my hands on a stock bulb and take it in to see what the dealer says I'm hoping they don't give me hassle they have before and its the only BMW in Corpus Christi. others are more than 2 hours away.

Thanks,
Jacob
Considering there are multiple stress cracks, I would assume it takes more than taking off your headlight to create them. Hopefully they will be lenient on the already modified headlight "tint" that you had applied to the side...

But I assume you can work with them on some kind of agreement. Usually dealer's will be forgiving the first time around. Just be careful as headlights are ridiculously expensive.