BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-24-2009, 04:08 PM   #1
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

E90 328i LCI from a 135i Msport owner

I was handed the key to a 328i LCI sedan today from my dealer. You are not going to expect the same N52 bashing from me as some other N54 owners have. Please take a break and read the next thread if that sort of bashing fancies you.

Power: The car has adequate power when the pedal is down. Missing is the raw power and the urgency of the N54 however the speedo keeps climbing upwards until I left my foot off.

Exterior
: This is where the car shines. Prior to the face lift I would never considered the E90. I love the new creased hood when parked next to an A6 with a plain and flat hood the E90 stood out and made the A6 looked dated, circa early 2000s. And the much needed head lamp and the tail light refresh accented BMW's sportiness and personally were what I thought the weakest point of the old E90. They added sharpness and elegance at the same time.

Interior: Remained more or less much the same since I last drove an E90. I noticed the aluminum accent on the head lamp knob and the fancier designed front cup holder now hugs my coffee cup much better.

Drive: I seriously thought I was in a car offered by another brand. Without the sports package, low profile tires, and manual, the E90 feels like and drives like a luxury car. In the 135i I am always immersed in driving, avoiding jarring impacts from potholes, calculating the next gear based from traffic, signals and maintaining the balance between desire to accelerate and fuel efficiency. In the E90 I felt tranquility, for better or worse I enjoyed the scenery outside my window. The supple suspension and fat tires soak up the road imperfections well and leaves me a little bored to explore the interior while I am on the road.

Overall the new e90 is a good car. Not a car I would buy because fast cars ranked higher on my preference and for those who are considering an IS250, A4, or C class the refreshed E90 is a good choice out of the group, although I think most cars in group all drive pretty much the same.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Update: I hate that automatic. Too sluggish in D mode and too unpredictable, nonlinear in DS mode with linear throttle applied. Power comes weak then surges with a glob of power even though throttle level remained constant. Love my manual. I need to try the PDK.

Last edited by Robert; 08-24-2009 at 11:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 10:00 PM   #3
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i AW Sport

My observations of the refreshed 3 series exactly mirror yours. A very pleasant car, attractive, comfortable, automatic transmission sucks.

Fastness: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252727
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 10:02 PM   #4
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport

+1.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 10:17 PM   #5
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Update: I hate that automatic. Too sluggish in D mode and too unpredictable, nonlinear in DS mode when accelerating with moderate throttle applied. Power comes weak then surges with a glob of power even though no throttle level remained constant. Love my manual. I need to try the PDK.
The 328i with sport pkg. is the one to have. It transforms the car even with the great new look of the refresh. It now compares favorably with the new A4, except for the 3's interior, which is still rather dull and stark in comparison to Audi.
I seriously considered the 328i Msport along with the 135i. Either car was within a few dollars on a lease. The 328i was loaded with about the same luxury add ons maybe a bit more as I had included the Logic7 audio in the price, and the Msport pkg with different front bumper and rear end.
The Msport 328i is a beautiful car and drives as good if not better than my 135i, that's what was making my decision hard.
The 3 simply has a better sorted suspension as BMW has been tuning that car for a long time. The 1 is relatively new to BMW, and as we all know, the suspension is currently a work in progress, not quite there yet.

With the manual trans and sport suspension the 328i is a fantastic BMW.
It's feels as fast as the previous gen 330i but with a more solid feel.
With that setup, the engine and overall chassis really begs to be driven hard as the engine revs so easily and freely.

I took a chance on the 135i and really love the overall power, but I still wish for the sport suspension setup of the 3.
Appreciate 0