BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-24-2017, 07:54 AM   #89
AndyW
Supreme Galactic Commander (one galaxy over...)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E93, '12 E82, '13 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsADSM View Post
Where that would actually mount to? How is it collecting air exactly? Also FWIW while the outlets may be 3" I can't imagine that flows any better than a 2" or 2.5" pipe just based on design, it necks down considerably and looks like it flows into a pretty nasty 180 degree "turn".

FWIW I'm trying to get through some more testing of my duct solution and once I do I will sell my primary ducts for cheaper than that as well.
Looks like it velcros to the frame. I agree it is restrictive but I think the idea is that it lets you use "standard" 3" components and avoid any rubbing issues.

'12 E82-PS2,Stoptechs,Clubsports+M3 bits,Accusump,Wagner DP+EVO III FMIC,ERCP,BMS Intake,Mason Strut Bar,Wedge Tune
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 08:52 AM   #90
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
They are pricey, but I wonder if these will work on the 135 also, so you can effectively use 3" ducting?

http://www.hardmotorsport.com/hard-m...-duct-bmw-e9x/
I am not sure why anyone would even bother with these after seeing what whatsadsm showed what he is planning to offer. I mean, custom made for the 1er, bolts up to factory locations, and puts air at the center of the rotor.
Appreciate 1
AndyW665.50
      08-24-2017, 10:58 AM   #91
bNks334
Major
Rep
Drives: '11 135i (N55)

3" does flow better than 2.5," but no one here is endurance racing lol... diminishing returns imo

2.5" is nice because it fits well. I can't imagine trying to squeeze 3" piping through a 1-series. 2.5" seems perfect.
Appreciate 1
AndyW665.50
      08-24-2017, 11:31 AM   #92
WhatsADSM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Looks like it velcros to the frame. I agree it is restrictive but I think the idea is that it lets you use "standard" 3" components and avoid any rubbing issues.
Yea I see its purpose now. Looks like it is used along with a bunch of other components. And its purpose is to crunch down along the frame rail to allow for more movement of ducting without contact.

With that said on the 1 series there are quite a few of us that have setups that have the hose enter the wheel well from the inside and therefore there is no need for this part at all. You simply route under the (chassis side) tension rod mount, and cut away a very small amount of the plastic underbody shield. Then its really just a matter of how you run the hose. If you want the most robust setup you actually do a longer run that snakes around a few components and then comes up and around towards the backing plate.

I run 2.5" hose that way, and I run my setup 24/7 and I have never made any contact with the hose. Lock to lock is no problem on the street with my street setup. I also never had any contact at when on track with my wider wheel/tire setup but I would have to verify if you truly wanted lock-to-lock performance with large R-comps.

So in a nut shell while it may serve some purpose on a E9x, its a very expensive solution to a problem that doesn't really exist for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bNks334 View Post
3" does flow better than 2.5," but no one here is endurance racing lol... diminishing returns imo

2.5" is nice because it fits well. I can't imagine trying to squeeze 3" piping through a 1-series. 2.5" seems perfect.
Agreed. 2.5" is the perfect size, and FWIW its just as easy for me to source locally as 3".

Last edited by WhatsADSM; 08-24-2017 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 2
AndyW665.50
      08-24-2017, 10:21 PM   #93
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
I am not sure why anyone would even bother with these after seeing what whatsadsm showed what he is planning to offer. I mean, custom made for the 1er, bolts up to factory locations, and puts air at the center of the rotor.
I missed this...need to go back through the thread. A turnkey solution would be nice!

'12 E82-PS2,Stoptechs,Clubsports+M3 bits,Accusump,Wagner DP+EVO III FMIC,ERCP,BMS Intake,Mason Strut Bar,Wedge Tune
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 10:23 PM   #94
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsADSM View Post
So in a nut shell while it may serve some purpose on a E9x, its a very expensive solution to a problem that doesn't really exist for us.
Good advice all. Will go back and read your posts on your setup.

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 09:17 PM   #95
AndyW
United_States
Rep

So, how hot do we think the dust guard gets? Thinking of going the "cheapo" route and getting this plastic flange to mount to the dust guard...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0035Y7DAI..._nAEUzbJ7FJ3XZ
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 11:51 PM   #96
WhatsADSM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So, how hot do we think the dust guard gets? Thinking of going the "cheapo" route and getting this plastic flange to mount to the dust guard...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0035Y7DAI..._nAEUzbJ7FJ3XZ
I would be a little skeptical of ABS. Depending on the arrangement of mounting I was able to get some minor warping of Polycarbonate flanges under extreme track duty. If the mountung is done properly to relieve pressure while hot it's doable with PC... However PC has a heat resistance that is significantly better than ABS.

You have a PM.

Last edited by WhatsADSM; 09-21-2017 at 11:25 PM..
Appreciate 1
AndyW665.50
      07-10-2018, 05:02 PM   #97
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Msport 6MT

Bump. Can anyone post some links to 2.5" mounts to attach to the brake shield?

Looking to run 2.5" ducting on my F30 due to seized calipers last track session. Tomorrow I'm going to see if the stock brake ducts have those covers on which I will remove and assess the area to see how to do the routing and hold the hose in place. I will most likely connect the hose to the stock duct up front with zip ties, route around and connect it to the metal mount on the shield. Thanks!

Apex SM-10/DWS06+ | 400m/X-ice Xi3 | Injen Exhaust | Stoptech SS Lines | 335 Front Brakes
Hawk HPS 5.0 | RBF600 | ER Charge Pipes | Wagner Evo Comp 2 FMIC
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 07:47 AM   #98
dmytro98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 128i coupe

Thought I might revive this thread and add my current plan for brake ducts.

The 1m style bumper I bought was the slim style which didn't come with any sort of fake vent for the very side holes so before I had it painted I cut them out with the plan of making them functional.

I started out by getting measurements of the space I had to work with and made a cardboard version to test fit. I also ordered 2-inch high temp tubing along with 2-inch aluminum flanges I plan on riveting onto my dust shields.

I was originally planning on making them out of some sort of plastic or aluminum sheets but then I found out my friend has a 3d printer I can use so that is the current plan. Below is the current design which isn't perfect since this is my first time doing any cad work but it should get the job done.
I'm not exactly how I want to mount these since if I mount to the bumper it would make it very annoying to remove the bumper but mounting them to the chassis will be much more difficult.

Any feedback is appreciated for improvements
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 05:05 PM   #99
houtan
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Nice work. Be sure to post once you have everything installed. Would love to see how it turns out. I have slowly started to get into 3d printing and trying to learn fusion 360. It’s been slow for me but what you came up with looks awesome.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 03:10 PM   #100
dmytro98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 128i coupe

I finally managed to get everything finished.

Printing
Having never messed with 3d printing it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I used a creality ender 3 printer with black PLA filament. The first side I did, I forgot to add any support around where the tubing connects, but it's a close enough shape that I was able to get a decent seal. The second side turned out perfectly. Each side took about 24 hours to print on default settings.

Installation to Bumper
Once I got to trying to mount them to the bumper I realized I made the front just a few mm too narrow so I had to shave down the inside a little to get them to fit over the cutout in the bumper. Even shaving it down it was still tight but with some JB quick weld, it stayed on with no problem. Once it set they're not coming off. I also just used some hot glue around it to get a better seal. It's not pretty from the inside but you'll never see it so I'm happy with it. From the front, it looks much better than just seeing my fender liner.

Installing Hose
I bought 12ft of high temp 1 ply hose and immediately regretted it. When I bought it I didn't know that 1 ply hose has the metal casing exposed on the inside and is not held on with any adhesive so if you kink the tubing the metal support gets all jacked up and doesn't hold its shape. I'm gonna replace it with some 2-ply hose but for now, it works. I ended up cutting a small portion of the heat shield and using some small nuts and screws to hold on to the aluminum flange to the heat shield. To actually mount the hose I used a combination of hose clamps and metal zip ties. With 17x8.5 et40 and 245 40 I'm able to turn lock to lock with no issues.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0