BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-27-2008, 11:49 PM   #1
jps
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: JB 128i Coupe

Comparing 128i sport pack vs non sport pack

Very curious about a couple things regarding the differences between a Canadian 128i with and without the sports package.

1. I can't seem to find both of them at my local dealer to see them side by side and compare the looks of them. I'm wondering how different they look since they have different size wheels, tires, and height of suspension. Comments and pics would be awesome.

2. How much will the sport package increase performace/handling with larger, staggered wheel sizing and stiffer, lower suspension. I will not be using it at the track, but I do like to drive hard every chance I get.

These questions are killing me! It isn't the price of the sports package at all, it is the fact that my gf cannot sit in the sports seats that come with the sports package (severe back issues and the bolsters are actually worse for her).

Thank you soo much in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2008, 12:39 AM   #2
baka
Rep
Drives:

i was in the same boat as you before, but i ended up ordering an 135, the sport seats are comfy but if you say that the bolsters are bad for your gf then i guess you should get it without sport pack, for 2500 you are getting rims, suspension, and seats. Rims and suspension you can go with aftermarket. as far as looks, i think the biggest diff is 128 and 135, 17" and 18" would be that much of a difference.
      08-28-2008, 11:51 AM   #3
1Ronnie
Ronnie
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 Sedona 128i

Everyone says that Sports is mandatory, especially if you drive hard, I certainly don't agree. I wanted a luxury car, that's comfortable to drive and fun. I have a non-Sports 128, and am more than happy with the drive, and am certainly happy with the wheel size compared to the 16"s I had on my 323i. I decided to spend my extra on the Leather, Audio, Premium, and Comfort Access, and am so pleased I did!!

Pics are here:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=71

But certainly ... focus on your priorities, enjoy what you get !!
      08-30-2008, 08:22 PM   #4
ryguy85
1erHammer
Rep
Drives:

i have the 128 with sport pkg, i also test drove it with out sport, and while it still drove great. i enjoyed the sportier feel. its not a huge huge difference in regular driving, but once you put a little force into corners, or harder acceleration you can tell the difference. Alot of people like the look of the 18's too.

not only that but theres also the sport seats which are awesome.

in the end its all preference. but if you want a bit more of the drive feel of a 135 then the sports pkg is awesome for that.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 01:45 AM   #5
Yuzi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy85 View Post
i have the 128 with sport pkg, i also test drove it with out sport, and while it still drove great. i enjoyed the sportier feel. its not a huge huge difference in regular driving, but once you put a little force into corners, or harder acceleration you can tell the difference. Alot of people like the look of the 18's too.

not only that but theres also the sport seats which are awesome.

in the end its all preference. but if you want a bit more of the drive feel of a 135 then the sports pkg is awesome for that.
hi bro

128i | Jet Black | Premium package | Sport package | 18" Style 263 | 6MT | Injen Intake | BMS PowerBox |SOLD
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 10:41 AM   #6
ryguy85
1erHammer
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuzi View Post
hi bro
nice option choices on the 128 man. haha
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 11:16 AM   #7
Qube
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E39 540 :: 09 STi

If you took an onramp harder with the non-sport, you'd notice.

"it is the fact that my gf cannot sit in the sports seats that come with the sports package (severe back issues and the bolsters are actually worse for her)."

That's a decider, no? Some nice Boston Leather would be good for her
      09-02-2008, 11:52 PM   #8
jps
Private
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the responses thus far.

I'm likely to special order the sports package without the seats (yes, I know...) in Sedona Red however, I can not find a Canadian pic of a Sedona Red 128 sport package anywhere. I would like to see the colour option with the specific 18 inch rims. My dealer of coarse only has that colour in a non-sport 128 or a 135.

Do any of you have a pic of this?? (I plan on posting on the pic forum as well but I thought I migh have better luck here in the Canadian site since our 128 18's are unique to us.)
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 10:33 AM   #9
ryguy85
1erHammer
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps View Post
Thanks for the responses thus far.

I'm likely to special order the sports package without the seats (yes, I know...) in Sedona Red however, I can not find a Canadian pic of a Sedona Red 128 sport package anywhere. I would like to see the colour option with the specific 18 inch rims. My dealer of coarse only has that colour in a non-sport 128 or a 135.

Do any of you have a pic of this?? (I plan on posting on the pic forum as well but I thought I migh have better luck here in the Canadian site since our 128 18's are unique to us.)
its certainly hard to find pics of specific 128i colours with sport package. here is a link to some pics i took but its in jb.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10917
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 11:01 AM   #10
MI128
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35I M-Sport

Garage List
2008 BMW 128  [0.00]
I have the non-sport package in Sedona Red with the 18' 264 Style Rims. I didn't want the sport package put I think the size of the 17's are to small for the wheel well. This a post of my car a little bit ago.. http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14290 You should be able to see the gap with the nonsport.
      09-03-2008, 08:26 PM   #11
jps
Private
Canada
Rep

Thanks guys...

Unfortunately, after long debate and returning to the dealership to see sedona red in all different lighting situations, I no longer think it is the colour for me.

The Canadian 128i coupe with the 18's from the sports package really look great in jet black. Anyone have pics of this car in different colours (looking mainly for side profile shots)?

I'm loosing soo much sleep trying to decide exactly what I want!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 09:32 PM   #12
j8smith
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i coupe

Here is one of my montego 128 with sport and premium
      05-16-2009, 05:00 PM   #13
YvetteJ
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: Jet e82

^ that's not sport isn't it???
and it looks like e90......
correct me if i am wrong..because it looks exactly like my e90 non sport....
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2009, 07:58 PM   #14
dalrx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 530i

All I can say is thank god I got the sport pack than the reg 17`s and non sport. I drove both. Sport pack you corner and handles much better, 18`s fit and look much better than the 17`s.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 02:03 AM   #15
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps View Post
Thanks guys...

Unfortunately, after long debate and returning to the dealership to see sedona red in all different lighting situations, I no longer think it is the colour for me.

The Canadian 128i coupe with the 18's from the sports package really look great in jet black. Anyone have pics of this car in different colours (looking mainly for side profile shots)?

I'm loosing soo much sleep trying to decide exactly what I want!
Trust me, Sedona Red is a very nice colour. I'd know, I got one! But it's all good tho, go with something that'll make you smile everything u see it

For a Canadian 128i, I'd say 100% get the sports package. I saw one with and without and without question, it feels and looks better both inside and out. If you are a big fan of nice looking rims, get the sports.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #16
jps
Private
Canada
Rep

TKDboi...
not sure if that pic is of sports seats or not but you're right in saying it isn't a pic of a 1-series.

Rest of you...
This is a thread from August '08. Thank you for your input regarding sports package and colour. I have been driving my special-ordered sports package, comfort access, manual, jet black 128i coupe since December and am very happy.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 12:37 AM   #17
ndlesswaltz
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i

I am an another guy who is considering to get sports pkg.
But this is only because it felt so comfortable when I tried Z4 at the auto show.
I think 1 series might be different.

I don't really like the look of 18' and don't really think sport suspension will do much for my driving since I drive really carefully.
So in conclusion, I am going to pay $2K for just the seat which I don't really know about.

Could you please comment on the comfort level of sports seat and the normal seat?
and why girls hate sport seat?
I was guessing sports seat would help you on the long distance drive since it supports your side.
I have a sports seat in my impreza, but I am sure it is no where near the BMW.

If I confused anyone, my question is does sports seat really worth $2K?
I will try it tomorrow or the day after, but I want to know the long term analysis.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 02:01 AM   #18
YvetteJ
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: Jet e82

it does worth $2k....
really.. you willl regret not getting the sport package....
I just picked up my 128i sport package... and I am happy w/ it
I had e90 w/ non sport.... I always regreted it.....
wheels/suspension/sport seat... worth the $2k
btw, mine is Jet black as well...... shit it's hot! real black.....
      05-20-2009, 09:42 AM   #19
Onlooker
Canada
Rep
Drives: Nil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndlesswaltz View Post
I am an another guy who is considering to get sports pkg.
But this is only because it felt so comfortable when I tried Z4 at the auto show.
I think 1 series might be different.

I don't really like the look of 18' and don't really think sport suspension will do much for my driving since I drive really carefully.
So in conclusion, I am going to pay $2K for just the seat which I don't really know about.

Could you please comment on the comfort level of sports seat and the normal seat?
and why girls hate sport seat?
I was guessing sports seat would help you on the long distance drive since it supports your side.
I have a sports seat in my impreza, but I am sure it is no where near the BMW.

If I confused anyone, my question is does sports seat really worth $2K?
I will try it tomorrow or the day after, but I want to know the long term analysis.

Thank you.
If, as you say, you do not like the larger wheels and wider tires and you drive really carefully, then I recommend that you do not get the Sport Package. The regular seats are comfortable and should be just fine on long journeys.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 10:24 AM   #20
ndlesswaltz
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i

Thanks Onlooker!
I still think you are the expert on 1 series! ^0^
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 05:33 PM   #21
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

here's my input on the subject of sports seats or not to sports seats. I test drove non sports seats first time around, they were decent but couldn't get the perfect fit for my back and there just wasn't enough hug support on my lower back. With the sport seats. I can adjust the lumbar (lower back/side cushion area) to perfectly fit my body and on those long drives, I've not felt any pain from that area, I normally get tired or feel slight discomfort during long drives. U can also adjust the distance of ur leg support of your hamstrings (I forgot the technical term for that seat feature). That may help if you are a fairly tall individual.

The overall feel between sport and non sport isn't that big of a difference to me at least. you'll get a better feel and handling on the car without losing all that much comfort. Couldn't you just say to the dealer that you do not want the larger wheels but keep the sports suspension and sports seats. I'm sure that it is possible.

Last edited by Garduna; 05-20-2009 at 07:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 06:23 PM   #22
jps
Private
Canada
Rep

I agree with Onlooker; however, if you really want them maybe there are some for sale from people who are putting in aftermarket seats for the track?
You really just have to test drive both of them back to back (no punn intended)
Appreciate 0