BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-11-2008, 08:35 PM   #1
digital12
Private
Rep
Drives:

Winter Setup

Hi All,

I haven't posted anything in a long time. I thought I would post my winter setup which I purchased in November

Also my Summer package which I really miss right now....LOL

Snow Tires Goodyear Ice Grip/Winter... Yes I went with the orginal BMW package I also got a discount. Even the guy in service said " you got a deal didn't you"....LOL

They are not too bad... On Monday we had a little snowstorm nothing major here in Toronto. I decided to give them a little test...LOL

On the Gardner just East of Jarivs I decided to see how they would handle on packed snow, well not too bad, I did give it a little gas and the backend of the car did get a little lose.

Then again I was in DS mode... I love to drive the car this way.

Turning onto COXWELL it was fun I had a big smile on my face when I let the backend an slide a bit. I did the same on Eastern AVE again.

I did notice if you drive the car in DS mode with paddle shifters it is easier to make it slide vs regular mode.

Let's say.............. lots of fun....LOL

BTW if you happen to be in The Beaches I run the Bell store their and I also run the Queen St West location just east of SPADINA. Come by and say Hi would be nice to meet other 135 owner's

The Beaches really love their BMW'S. I've seen 4 or 5 135's, and lots of other BMW'S

If I don't post again this year, have a save and happy holiday.

Pictures below

Thanks

Guido

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 09:22 PM   #2
tarrant
Canada
Rep
Drives: LMB 135i Coupe w/MPremComf

Hey, so how are the tires doing now? The photo was obviously taken a while ago, as the environment isn't grey and lacking leaves like now.

FYI, I just picked up my 135i 5 days ago, with summer tires, and slipped a couple of times where there was slush on the ground ... installed my tirerack Dunlop SP Wintersport 3D's on Saturday, and no slips since then, even on icy roads. I'm not pushing the car hard yet, though.

Still, I should say that my car is a bit muddy already, I suppose from the wet roads, but your car in the photos is pristine and pretty. You had just washed it?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 09:46 PM   #3
digital12
Private
Rep
Drives:

Hey, Tires are doing better...

I learn fast... Just don't put the car in DS MODE when their is snow on the ground or slush...

Tork starts lower....LOL

Wow... How do you like the car?, which dealership did you buy from?

Glad to see you got some winter rubber and rims, I bet you had a hell of a ride with the summer tires.

Yes I washed the car before I took the pictures, In the summer I was washing it once a week...

I don't drive it all the time. I have my old car as a daily driver during the winter.... I will only take it out if their is not now or slush on the roads.

But... boy do I miss the car when I don't drive it...

BTW if you happen to be in the Beaches I'm the manager at the Bell Store stop by and say hi.... I also manage the 320 Queen Wet locations as well, just east of Spadina.. Both locations are corporate....

Take Care

Guido
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 10:59 PM   #4
tarrant
Canada
Rep

I got my car at Budd's BMW in Oakville, although I live in the Weston area. Both are opposite sides of the world from the Beaches :-)

The summer tires weren't a huge deal -- I made sure to pick up the car on the +6 degrees day last week, and didn't drive it much after that except to install the tires.

I love the car. It's no nonsense, lots of power, sufficient luxury, and even supports passengers if it has to (tested out 4 people on the weekend and it did fine). At the same time, I don't feel it's really ostentacious when I park it in a grocery store parking lot -- I was worried it would look like a crazy sports car and invite people to scratch or steal it. It's a really good balance.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 06:02 AM   #5
ZIPNBYE
Let's save military ranks for those who earn it!
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...on the Ragged Edge

Garage List
What did you pay for the BMW setup? My dealer quoted $3,200!!! I went elsewhere.
2011 BMW 1-series M Coupe (#205/220) -- Valencia Orange (sold)
2009 BMW 135i M-Sport Coupe -- Space Grey (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 10:31 AM   #6
Bahuba
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MR 2014 M235i

CDN$2100 taxes/shipping/brokerage included @ tire rack - 225 18s Dunlop SP M3s all around. I'm luv'in this setup. Snow/ice handling is good, dry road handling is excellent. Very little compromise from the summer setup. Actually quieter and smoother than summers'.

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 11:03 AM   #7
ZIPNBYE
Canada
Rep

Garage List
My wheel setup is $757 US from TireRack to my door, and my tires are $1,000 Can (Nokian Hakkapeliitta from KalTire). Wheels will be here tomorrow, and I'll (finally!) have the car on the road by Friday.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 08:16 PM   #8
tarrant
Canada
Rep

Similar to @Bahuba for me. Tires and wheels from tirerack (called Gil), around $2000. I also have Dunlops. Installation was $100 at OK Tire.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 01:25 PM   #9
pit1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahuba View Post
CDN$2100 taxes/shipping/brokerage included @ tire rack - 225 18s Dunlop SP M3s all around. I'm luv'in this setup. Snow/ice handling is good, dry road handling is excellent. Very little compromise from the summer setup. Actually quieter and smoother than summers'.
I've the same tire setup with 215 17s. Have you noticed a decrease in wet traction? Had the car out last night. It was a balmy 60 deg F and raining hard. I lost traction even under moderate straight-line acceleration. Even merging only a concrete highway at 50MPH, 3rd gear, DSC constantly pulled back. It's more predictable than the summers were, but certainly just as slippery as the summers were in cold/wet conditions. I hope snow is a different story.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 01:48 PM   #10
Bahuba
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit1 View Post
I've the same tire setup with 215 17s. Have you noticed a decrease in wet traction? Had the car out last night. It was a balmy 60 deg F and raining hard. I lost traction even under moderate straight-line acceleration. Even merging only a concrete highway at 50MPH, 3rd gear, DSC constantly pulled back. It's more predictable than the summers were, but certainly just as slippery as the summers were in cold/wet conditions. I hope snow is a different story.
60 deg F! There's your problem.

It's been in the teens to twenties (F) here so I can't comment. I do recall the traction blinky going off a bit when I initially installed the tires but I attributed that to the fact they weren't broken in. No problems lately with dry/wet conditions. Snow traction will depend on the kind and depth of snow. Like any RWD car with winters it is good but you cannot compare it to a AWD car with high clearance.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 02:26 PM   #11
Bahuba
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit1 View Post
I'll ask the obvious, the Dunlops are directional tires, were they installed correctly?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 03:17 PM   #12
pit1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Quote:
60 deg F! There's your problem.
Yeah yeah, I know, a fluke Indian summer. And tonight they're calling for icy conditions. But that's DC news for you, freaking out over a flurry.

Quote:
I'll ask the obvious, the Dunlops are directional tires, were they installed correctly?
Believe me, I've checked that a million times. Installed them myself, so, I'll be sure to check just once more.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 06:39 PM   #13
digital12
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPNBYE View Post
What did you pay for the BMW setup? My dealer quoted $3,200!!! I went elsewhere.
Hi There,

I paid just under $3000.00 including installation and BMW tire toats...

I wanted the orginal Equipment....

Thank

Guido
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 09:01 PM   #14
ZIPNBYE
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Yikes! OEM wheels...mmmm....always expensive. But, so long as you're happy, you need not please anybody else. They are nice looking wheels, but just not my cup of tea (more than just due to the money).
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2009, 09:22 AM   #15
babu88
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 28i

Any recommendation tire shop in Toronto? I plan to get a set of winter tires/wheels for my 128i coupe.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 02:21 PM   #16
looking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

^^
Tire23 -seems to be the cheapest (they also do a good job) but, cash only unless you want to add 3% onto their price. http://www.tires23.com/

Steelcase tire - Comparable to tire23 - a bit more expensive but they're not cash only. These guys also seem to be more informative. http://www.steelcasetires.ca/

Both do a great job and most car groups seem to go to these guys. Tire23 is iin Mississauga and Steelcase is in Markham.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 12:35 PM   #17
jotapeh
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona Red 128i

Garage List
2008 128i  [0.00]
Anyone else find that the Goodyear Eagle DU-GW3 installed with a BMW Approved Winter Tire Package blow? Just got a deal on a package from BMW Toronto and they seem brutal in even light snow here.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 01:15 PM   #18
ZIPNBYE
Canada
Rep

Garage List
They're runflats...of course they blow!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 01:41 PM   #19
jotapeh
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
My first car w/ runflats... I didn't know. I was wondering why my Civic felt like a genius in snow compared to the 1er. AH well.

My dealer had said it's not possible to get non-runflats on the 1. I'm guessing that was a major crock. Wish I had found this website beforehand..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 06:11 PM   #20
looking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
I would normally agree with this statement however, I read somewhere, that run-flat are actually better for winters because, the stiff sidewalls increase contact to the road. If the tires aren't performing really well than in this case maybe i'ts just the tires and not the fact they're run-flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotapeh View Post
My first car w/ runflats... I didn't know. I was wondering why my Civic felt like a genius in snow compared to the 1er. AH well.

My dealer had said it's not possible to get non-runflats on the 1. I'm guessing that was a major crock. Wish I had found this website beforehand..
Your dealer is BS...crap like that is why people have no faith in dealerships...You could always sell them next yr and get better tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 08:06 PM   #21
jotapeh
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 128i  [0.00]
Yeah I think I will end up selling them. I'm out of $$ to do it this year otherwise I would definitely go for it now. The treads on these things are just tiny.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 08:40 PM   #22
ZIPNBYE
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
I would normally agree with this statement however, I read somewhere, that run-flat are actually better for winters because, the stiff sidewalls increase contact to the road.
:bangdesk:
Contact patch is dependant upon the weight of the car (on each tire) and tire pressure. Two tires of different size, at the same pressure, on the same car, will have the same contact patch. Pressure = weight/area...or square-inch area = psi / lbs. Wide tires will give a widthwise rectangular to square patch, while narrower tires will give a square to lengthwise rectangular patch.

Read the "Fat or Thin? A question of contact patches and grip" section on page 2 of the Tire Bible website (about 40% down the page) -- complete with a pictoral view of two different tires with the same contact patch area.

Runflats' stiff sidewalls are exactly the wrong thing to have in a winter tire, for they allow the tire to deflect / deform that much less than a standard tire, thereby preventing it from adapting to changing road surface contours (slush, frozen ruts, etc...), ultimately providing less grip.

The ideal tire pressure, for winter, is a little lower than summertime, though most companies will dissuade you from doing this from a point of view of their own (misplaced...thank you to the over-litigated US) liability's sake. Ice racers, in rubber-to-ice classes (no studs), will run significantly lower pressures (common to lose a bead-seal), and vehicles prepped for loose surfaces (dessert, mud, significant snow) will run big tires with little pressure...to maximize contact patch.

It's simple physics.

So, whatever website you read, is misdirecting you. I hope that the above helped.
Appreciate 0