BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-01-2023, 05:07 PM   #1
3nigma
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i Convertible (N54)

Exhaust Hanger to Bell Housing bolt torque?

Hello everyone,

I am a new member with a "new to me" 2009 135i manual convertible. Love the car and I am doing my first mod - installing catless downpipes .

I am at the part of the install where I removed the original downpipes and I just removed the "exhaust hanger" that attaches to the manual transmission bell housing. I attached a picture of the bracket, the bolts that the bracket attaches to on the bell housing (arrows point to the two bolts that are e20 head bolts) and a picture of the top of the bolt to the message.

I can't tell if these two bolts are needed for the bell housing, or if they just attach the bracket (ie - can I just remove them). If they are needed to secure the bell housing, does anyone know the torque values and part #'s?

I've been searching for the better part of an hour, so appologies if this has already been covereed, I just can't seem to find details on it. Thank you in advance for help on this!
Attached Images

Last edited by 3nigma; 01-01-2023 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: I attached the wrong picture of the bell housing bolts
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 02:18 PM   #2
Snertz
H O O N
United_States
Rep
Drives: ein M!

They're needed, they hold the bellhousing on. The original bolts are torque to yield aluminum and single use only, they must be replaced once removed.

Replacement aluminum bolts are PN 23000417164, however these have been superseded by steel bolt PN 23001222894 which are reusable.

Al bolt torque is 25 Nm + 130 °, steel bolt torque is 66 Nm

U WOT M8?
Appreciate 0