BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-04-2020, 11:20 AM   #1
Campose82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw 135i

HELP!! Rear end clunking noise

Hey there fellow car enthusiast. I need help with a clunking noise i keep getting from the rear of the car. Ive read thru all the forums i could find regarding rear end clunking but couldnt find anything. Hopefully someone here can help.
First started hearing this a couple weeks ago. When coming to a stop and when leaving from a stop. But not all the time just sometimes. Now im starting to hear this over bumps going at slow speeds. Cant hear this at high speeds just slow speeds.
Got under the car today and checked all suspension nut and bolts everything is tight nothing seems to be loose or rubbing on anything. I have upgraded m3 subframe bushings. But thats about it for the rear. Please help its getting extremely annoying.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 12:02 PM   #2
BMWGuy4852
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i M-Sport

It's in the suspension probably the subframe is loose due to poor installation of bushings. Likely not torqued down properly. It could also be a bad shock. With a shock, you'll need to remove it to check it out, check compression damping.
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2020, 04:03 PM   #3
Campose82
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGuy4852 View Post
It's in the suspension probably the subframe is loose due to poor installation of bushings. Likely not torqued down properly. It could also be a bad shock. With a shock, you'll need to remove it to check it out, check compression damping.
No, as i mentioned did a nut and bolt check and everything is torqued down properly. Shocks are newish with about 18k miles on them. Both shocks and subframe bushings have been on the car for a while now and car just started with the clunking noise. I was thinking something with the brakes since it does the noise when coming to a stop? Idk what though thanks for the help
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 06:51 PM   #4
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

diff bushings
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 07:05 AM   #5
BMWGuy4852
Banned
Rep

I'd bet money those subframe bushing are the problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 10:38 AM   #6
Campose82
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'd bet money those subframe bushing are the problem.
How come?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 07:30 AM   #7
BMWGuy4852
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campose82 View Post
How come?
Because you installed them would be my best guess. Also, I doubt that you spent the time to understand the BMW engineering decisions behind the chassis tuning.

Car forums are notorious for people making all sorts of mindless "upgrades" to their cars for no good reasons. In general, one guy does something and brags about how wonderful it was and then the herd instinct takes over, LOL!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 11:35 AM   #8
Campose82
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
How come?
Because you installed them would be my best guess. Also, I doubt that you spent the time to understand the BMW engineering decisions behind the chassis tuning.

Car forums are notorious for people making all sorts of mindless "upgrades" to their cars for no good reasons. In general, one guy does something and brags about how wonderful it was and then the herd instinct takes over, LOL!
Because i installed them isnt a reason? Plenty of people do the install themselves. Subframe bushings wouldnt be making noise if they are torqued down properly which they are. I was asking for help not negativity, thanks. You should look into the "mindless upgrades" for m3 subframe bushings, truly transformed the rear end. Thanks
Appreciate 2
Esteban43728.50
Almuliman483.50
      10-06-2020, 04:43 PM   #9
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Check out this thread, some ideas were thrown around, and symptoms sound similar to yours:
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630664
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 05:52 PM   #10
Campose82
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
Check out this thread, some ideas were thrown around, and symptoms sound similar to yours:
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630664
Thank you! Ill take a look at my retaining clips on rear calipers. Hopefully that solves it! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 04:06 AM   #11
Skotcoop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01

Probably the rear diff bushing. Vehicular DIY just posted a video about it on youtube. Great channel.
      10-22-2020, 07:58 AM   #12
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440iGC F36

Quote:
Quote:
How come?

If you think rear subframe bushings are a mindless upgrade on an E82 then you've got no business even posting here. It's one of the best upgrades you can do. It's also pretty easy to do correctly and the torque on the four bolts is pretty easy to verify.

OP have you emptied your entire car out and driven around? Check your battery and make sure it's secure and that area is free of any objects.
      10-22-2020, 09:03 AM   #13
BMWGuy4852
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE82 View Post
If you think rear subframe bushings are a mindless upgrade on an E82 then you've got no business even posting here. It's one of the best upgrades you can do. It's also pretty easy to do correctly and the torque on the four bolts is pretty easy to verify.

OP have you emptied your entire car out and driven around? Check your battery and make sure it's secure and that area is free of any objects.
And of course, you are an authority on the subject of so called suspension upgrades, LOL! We should read your book on the subject, the title? BTW, where would you banish me to? The Fiat 500 forum?

A few observations of modified cars plying the roads, the most popular are suspension "improvements". Cosmetics is the reason for most of them. The second is the availability of aftermarket parts and the dismal level of skill required to do them.

If any of these junior mechanics knew anything about suspensions, they leave things alone. At best, all they should do is R&R worn parts.

As far as replacing the bushings, you should do a comparison of the suspension system between the two cars. You can't just mindlessly replace parts thinking you'll get some sort of improvement. BTW, I doubt you could even identify the change you are seeking. Finally, when you tinker with suspension, you need to do a complete 4-wheel alignment on the car to uncover mistakes.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 09:15 AM   #14
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

My two cents worth on the value of upgrades - much of the taut feeling you expect from a BMW comes from runflat tires. It appears BMW designed the suspension around runflats. When you change to 'regular' tires the suspension upgrades are somewhat necessary if you want to have a nice handling car.
      10-22-2020, 09:41 AM   #15
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And of course, you are an authority on the subject of so called suspension upgrades, LOL! We should read your book on the subject, the title? BTW, where would you banish me to? The Fiat 500 forum?

A few observations of modified cars plying the roads, the most popular are suspension "improvements". Cosmetics is the reason for most of them. The second is the availability of aftermarket parts and the dismal level of skill required to do them.

If any of these junior mechanics knew anything about suspensions, they leave things alone. At best, all they should do is R&R worn parts.

As far as replacing the bushings, you should do a comparison of the suspension system between the two cars. You can't just mindlessly replace parts thinking you'll get some sort of improvement. BTW, I doubt you could even identify the change you are seeking. Finally, when you tinker with suspension, you need to do a complete 4-wheel alignment on the car to uncover mistakes.
Are you fucking kidding me? What an immature response from an obvious douche bag. I suppose you've authored books on the subject of the E82 suspension? Or are you just a massive hypocrite?

The subframe bushings on E9X/E82 non-M cars are extremely soft. Have you ever taken this car apart? I've basically had my entire car in pieces over the past few years. Every system. You can move the center part of the bushing near to it's maximum extents BY HAND.

The difference between poly or M3 bushings and stock is extremely noticeable. The rear end wiggles a ton over bumps especially on power with the stock bushings. No such wiggle without them. I've even had mine out at Barber MSP where the car performed amazingly with poly RSFB. If you don't notice an improvement after a bushing swap, then you need to go buy yourself a V6 Corolla.

You're very new here and probably new to the E82. You've got no business commenting like this acting like a know-it-all when this car has been around for well over a decade. The weaknesses of the car are very well known and documented. How it responds to modifications is extremely well known and documented.

You SHOULD get an alignment after the modification, but the entire suspension is carried and controlled off the subframe so toe and camber will remain unchanged. There is a slight chance at generating a thrust angle. After doing any suspension work (other than just rear shocks) an alignment is ALWAYS a good idea and required most of the time.
      10-22-2020, 09:44 AM   #16
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thank you! Ill take a look at my retaining clips on rear calipers. Hopefully that solves it! Thanks.
Hey OP, any luck trying to get this figured out?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 10:15 AM   #17
Campose82
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hey OP, any luck trying to get this figured out?
Not yet unfortunately. Brakes are all good as expected from my recent overhaul. Emptied out car completely and had rear seats down, went for a drive. I came to conclusion its the diff bushings. I will order up and try to tackle the install soon i will update when installed. Meanwhile lets get some popcorn and enjoy the show we got here!!! Lol
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 10:34 AM   #18
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Not yet unfortunately. Brakes are all good as expected from my recent overhaul. Emptied out car completely and had rear seats down, went for a drive. I came to conclusion its the diff bushings. I will order up and try to tackle the install soon i will update when installed. Meanwhile lets get some popcorn and enjoy the show we got here!!! Lol
I was trying to diffuse the show!! lol.

I wonder if I should replace my diff bushings too. I always thought my rear end clunking was from my TC Kline Coilover setup, especially since a lot of people had confirmed a signature "Koni Clunk" (TCK's shocks are just custom valved Koni), and when I got it installed even, the shop that installed it noticed it on their own first drive and called TC Kline about it to check what they thought, and they also mentioned noise was normal.

But now you got me thinking about it. I'll add it to my list.

Replace DCT Temp/RPM Sensor
Replace bearings/bushings in DCT pump
Replace/upgrade flywheel
Replace Rod Bearings(?)
Replace diff bushings

My real issue is this stupid DCT temp warning I keep getting, but if I'm going to do that, I might as well knock out as many "related" things I can while the car is under the knife lol.

Also, yes, the show was quite entertaining, but it's a pissing match at this point. Not many people besides fe1rx are really going to take the time to gather data. With the data we do have, there are indications of improvements to be made. The only real results anybody is going to get out of it is felt in the driving dynamics, and that can be very opinion orientated sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 10:52 AM   #19
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I wonder if I should replace my diff bushings too. I always thought my rear end clunking was from my TC Kline Coilover setup, especially since a lot of people had confirmed a signature "Koni Clunk" (TCK's shocks are just custom valved Koni), and when I got it installed even, the shop that installed it noticed it on their own first drive and called TC Kline about it to check what they thought, and they also mentioned noise was normal.

Replace/upgrade flywheel
Replace Rod Bearings(?)
Replace diff bushings

My real issue is this stupid DCT temp warning I keep getting, but if I'm going to do that, I might as well knock out as many "related" things I can while the car is under the knife lol.

Also, yes, the show was quite entertaining, but it's a pissing match at this point. Not many people besides fe1rx are really going to take the time to gather data. With the data we do have, there are indications of improvements to be made. The only real results anybody is going to get out of it is felt in the driving dynamics, and that can be very opinion orientated sometimes.
Why rod bearings on an N54/55?

Real tired of people like that guy coming is so hot and being condescending.
      10-22-2020, 11:03 AM   #20
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
That guy's not new here. He's a troll who's been around for years. He's been banned 3 times (that I know of) and keeps coming back with a new name. If you know what to look for, he's easy to spot. He loves to start shit and piss people off.

Appreciate 1
Suprgnat2317.00
      10-22-2020, 11:04 AM   #21
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Replace/upgrade flywheel
Replace Rod Bearings(?)
Replace diff bushings

Why rod bearings on an N54/55?

Have started to hear of issues with rod bearing on higher mileage cars. Personally, my theory is long oil change intervals, or maybe simply following BMW's recommended 15k mile interval, a recommendation which some people think was only made because they also started offering free maintenance with the purchase.

My car is at 106k miles, no issues so far, no evidence of bearing wear in my previous look sample but that one was only after 500 miles or so. I'll be taking another sample this time after 6k miles. I'll probably base my decision on that, but being that a ton of shit has to come apart to get the transmission out anyways, might make sense to just replace anyways, idk
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 11:23 AM   #22
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:

Sorry, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Signed, actual BMW suspension specialist.
Appreciate 8
Esteban43728.50
N54Yankee2707.00
gjm1202183.00
WDE82814.50
ShocknAwe3232.50
dtla1827.50
Almuliman483.50