BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-13-2017, 03:42 PM   #23
berns
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
Yeah they're very similar builds besides dampers and aero. I saw that one Hoonigan video of your 335 at Laguna, how much better is the 135 on track?

I have an E90 and somewhat considered swapping my parts over to it because the M3 aero body parts swap over so easy but I would gain some weight. Im sure the longer wheel base is helpful.
E90 is way easier to drive fast, it's a lot more stable. It's heavy, though, so I'd only consider it as a track car if you were removing a ton of weight from it.

I wanted a fun car, 2 doors, 3000-ish pounds and good power. The 135i is way more fun to drive at the limit. 10000000% satisfied with my decision.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 04:47 PM   #24
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by berns View Post
Quote:
Yeah they're very similar builds besides dampers and aero. I saw that one Hoonigan video of your 335 at Laguna, how much better is the 135 on track?

I have an E90 and somewhat considered swapping my parts over to it because the M3 aero body parts swap over so easy but I would gain some weight. Im sure the longer wheel base is helpful.
E90 is way easier to drive fast, it's a lot more stable. It's heavy, though, so I'd only consider it as a track car if you were removing a ton of weight from it.

I wanted a fun car, 2 doors, 3000-ish pounds and good power. The 135i is way more fun to drive at the limit. 10000000% satisfied with my decision.
Yeah it's a blast on technical tracks, you should bring it up to Thunderhill West. It's a blast, kinda like glorified auto-x
      11-14-2017, 09:08 AM   #25
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Are you planning on posting more details about how you did your oil cooler setup? I refuse to pay the mark up on what’s available so I plan to install one myself at some point. The main thing holding me back is the lack of free time to come up with a mounting solution. Would be awesome to see how you did yours.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 09:35 AM   #26
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Love the build berns ! Should have stuck with the E90, but I suppose the E82 will do
Appreciate 1
berns1557.00
      11-14-2017, 09:52 AM   #27
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
Are you planning on posting more details about how you did your oil cooler setup? I refuse to pay the mark up on what’s available so I plan to install one myself at some point. The main thing holding me back is the lack of free time to come up with a mounting solution. Would be awesome to see how you did yours.
So I just built one for a friend, pickup one of the universal OFH AN10 mounts online ($20 on eBay) - AN10 lines and a setrab core (30-40 row). Hook it up and you've got your oil cooler.

You're in the bay area right?
      11-14-2017, 12:14 PM   #28
berns
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'm happy to post up details once I build it! Currently I have all the parts, minus the mounting brackets, which look pretty easy to make. I think I'll sandwich into the crash bar / frame rail.

I don't think 1 core is enough. These cars need two cores, and they only real way I've seen them perform well over time is to run in sequence rather than in parallel.

I will say, however, the stock oil cooler, radiator, and intercooler worked fine for me in time attack fashion, where I'd do 2-3 hot laps, 1 cool down, and repeat. Temps were mild at 74* at Buttonwillow. But can't believe how solid and consistent the car was with an OTS MHD Stage 2 91 tune, few gallons of race gas, exhaust, inlets, charge pipe.
Appreciate 1
Bimmer TV125.00
      11-14-2017, 12:15 PM   #29
berns
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
Love the build berns ! Should have stuck with the E90, but I suppose the E82 will do
Haha, thanks dude!! I know, I know. But I'm so happy with this thing. Nice to be in a small car.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 01:59 PM   #30
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by berns View Post
I'm happy to post up details once I build it! Currently I have all the parts, minus the mounting brackets, which look pretty easy to make. I think I'll sandwich into the crash bar / frame rail.

I don't think 1 core is enough. These cars need two cores, and they only real way I've seen them perform well over time is to run in sequence rather than in parallel.

I will say, however, the stock oil cooler, radiator, and intercooler worked fine for me in time attack fashion, where I'd do 2-3 hot laps, 1 cool down, and repeat. Temps were mild at 74* at Buttonwillow. But can't believe how solid and consistent the car was with an OTS MHD Stage 2 91 tune, few gallons of race gas, exhaust, inlets, charge pipe.
Awesome. I am hoping I can get away with one cooler combined with my CSF radiator. If not then I will add a second.

You lucked out with the 74* temperature! I went there last year and it was about 90 degrees, stock ppk flash, stock oil cooler and radiator, and I could barely finish one lap without oil temps starting to go into the 280 range! And I can tell you I was not going nearly as fast as you haha. My car is DCT though so a little more strain on coolant which may have impacted oil temps.

Looking forward to your updates and progress.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 09:02 PM   #31
mike082802
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 135

nice build and nice driving. how do you like the clubsports? you like them better than say MCS,AST, or JRZ?

i need to do an oil cooler as well to go along with the csf radiator. i might start with a single just to replace the stock with either a setrab, mocal, or might cheap out and do CX racing.

also how do you like those tires?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 11:24 PM   #32
berns
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Awesome. I am hoping I can get away with one cooler combined with my CSF radiator. If not then I will add a second.

You lucked out with the 74* temperature! I went there last year and it was about 90 degrees, stock ppk flash, stock oil cooler and radiator, and I could barely finish one lap without oil temps starting to go into the 280 range! And I can tell you I was not going nearly as fast as you haha. My car is DCT though so a little more strain on coolant which may have impacted oil temps.

Looking forward to your updates and progress.
The CSF radiator is awesome... Mine should be here next week. Had one on my E90 as well and it was bulletproof, even when IAT's and Oil Temps were way over the limit.
This is over 8 laps at Laguna Seca, pushing it every lap, not like Time Attack.

Thanks for the good words and I'll do my best to keep it up!

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 11:35 PM   #33
berns
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike082802 View Post
nice build and nice driving. how do you like the clubsports? you like them better than say MCS,AST, or JRZ?

i need to do an oil cooler as well to go along with the csf radiator. i might start with a single just to replace the stock with either a setrab, mocal, or might cheap out and do CX racing.

also how do you like those tires?

thanks
Thanks man, really enjoying driving lately and getting way more into racing.

I have had a long relationship with KW and have run Clubsports on many of my last cars. Saab 92x-Aero, E46 M3, Evo IX MR... I may send in my front struts for a rebuild and take the car to its limit with this suspension setup. I don't have any direct experience with AST, Moton, MCS, but in the future I might try a full true coilover AST / Moton kit. We'll see.

Saw this today. Looks like incredible value if it works. I've heard good things. Someone should try it out. I'm tempted to, since it's like 1/3 the cost of what I spent on my home brew kit. https://fasterbypinnacle.com/product...il-cooler-kit/

Tires are pretty good so far. Tons of grip. They do get a little slippery once they're hot, so not good if you like to overdrive. They seem to wear really nicely, way better than my old RE71R's, but those had more grip for sure.
Appreciate 1
Bimmer TV125.00
      11-15-2017, 07:33 AM   #34
mabrahams
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 M-Sport 28i

Berns,

When you install the CSF radiator; you plan on keeping the stock electronic fan or going with a different setup?

Advan makes some nice oil cooler kits as well: https://www.advanperformanceeuro.com.au/products
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 09:34 AM   #35
berns
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrahams View Post
Berns,

When you install the CSF radiator; you plan on keeping the stock electronic fan or going with a different setup?

Advan makes some nice oil cooler kits as well: https://www.advanperformanceeuro.com.au/products
Stock fan setup never caused an issue for me, and in the past, removing the stock fans on my e46 never worked out well. I do think space will be at a premium now since I'm running the thicker CSF radiator, VRSF stock location inlets and their 7.5" race core. We'll see what works.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 02:26 PM   #36
mike082802
Major
Rep

i saw the pinacle oil cooler, was wondering who he uses for cores. for his fmic i think he uses csf cores. and i never really liked the idea of blocking the radiator. even the guys i spoke to who race and build cars for nasa and scca didn't like the idea of blocking the radiator, even if i am running the csf radiator. for the inlets i read somewhere that the 335is or 1m radiator fan is 850w and slimmer. i have stock location inlets and the csf radiaor that ben sittingin the box since may and i an a little worried about real estate. i mean a 19 row setrab is 175$ and would fit nicely in the stock location. thinking of running that or like i said a mocal, earls or cx.

so you have a good hookup with kw hence the loyalty. i know some guys love them but most of the serious track guys go jrz, mcs, or penske. i have AST and they look at them as lower teir. they serve me well though.

i can see you needing dual coolers though, you drive hard, even my buddy has a 135 race car with a single 25 row mocal and he had to dial back the tune a lot one race day because he was running too hot and limping.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 04:58 PM   #37
berns
Captain
Rep

Quote:
i saw the pinacle oil cooler, was wondering who he uses for cores. for his fmic i think he uses csf cores. and i never really liked the idea of blocking the radiator. even the guys i spoke to who race and build cars for nasa and scca didn't like the idea of blocking the radiator, even if i am running the csf radiator. for the inlets i read somewhere that the 335is or 1m radiator fan is 850w and slimmer. i have stock location inlets and the csf radiaor that ben sittingin the box since may and i an a little worried about real estate. i mean a 19 row setrab is 175$ and would fit nicely in the stock location. thinking of running that or like i said a mocal, earls or cx.

so you have a good hookup with kw hence the loyalty. i know some guys love them but most of the serious track guys go jrz, mcs, or penske. i have AST and they look at them as lower teir. they serve me well though.

i can see you needing dual coolers though, you drive hard, even my buddy has a 135 race car with a single 25 row mocal and he had to dial back the tune a lot one race day because he was running too hot and limping.
I mean, sure you can start with one core. Easy enough to add one. I'd just rather only do this once, so I'm going all out from the start and hopefully it holds up!

Agreed on most of the serious track guys liking the big dollar remote resevoir stuff -- I'm sure it's for good reason. I have a lot to learn about suspension tuning, and driving too, so I think if I can master this setup and learn enough about making the right changes, I'll better utilize and appreciate something better in the future. Running 2:00 without aero off the bat at Buttonwillow has me thinking they're at least doing an OK job for now. I'm going to swap in some 8k springs up front, I think the 6k's are too soft. And I'm on the lookout for an e92 M3 rear sway bar, because having just the M3 front feels wrong.

Thanks for the info on the 1M fan. I'll see if I can pick one up.

PS -- as for the radiator. I think good cores will flow enough not to impede airflow too much, but only testing can tell. If I hadn't already bought everything, I'd try out the Pinacle unit.
Appreciate 1
Bimmer TV125.00
      11-15-2017, 06:29 PM   #38
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: faster than he should...

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
While ya'll are on about oil coolers and racing, can I ask about the oil pan, and if any additional baffles are considered a good thing, or even required?

Google doesn't seem to offer much about stock configuration, and as always aftermarket says that anything but aftermarket will be starvation central if you even think about high g anything....
X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's, now with new turbo & ewg
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 07:20 PM   #39
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1and1 View Post
While ya'll are on about oil coolers and racing, can I ask about the oil pan, and if any additional baffles are considered a good thing, or even required?

Google doesn't seem to offer much about stock configuration, and as always aftermarket says that anything but aftermarket will be starvation central if you even think about high g anything....
VAC sells one that you weld in. Haven't heard issues about oil starvation on the N54 though.

On the suspension topic I'm thinking about being different and going with Bilsteins Revalved by PSI or their clubsport setup. They're bulletproof monotubes and are often overlooked.
      11-15-2017, 07:31 PM   #40
berns
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1and1 View Post

I also haven't seen any examples of oil starvation, but then again, so many track dudes aren't on the forums. It's a nice piece of mind and relatively cheap, but it's annoying to do. I think I'll run without it until my oil pan gasket needs replacing.
Appreciate 1
1and11851.50
      11-15-2017, 09:02 PM   #41
mike082802
Major
Rep

berns- the clubsports are doing a great job, you are obviously a good driver, i just seen a few on the forums coming up lately for sale from guys stepping up to mcs or jrz. for me i dont know enough about suspension and at my driver level a good single adjustable setup is good enough. i will say one thing i had koni yellows and bmw perf springs and the ast4100 with 7k/12k were much more comfortable. i had 7k up front and dropped down to 6k and i think they are a tad soft and will probably go back to 7k or 8k. i had an e93 m3 front sway and replaced it with a set of eibach front and rear which are 27mm and 16 mm solid but also swapped out my whole suspension and did rsfb at the same time so its hard to tell and really haven't had enough time to play around.

spxx
i know one shop that revalves the bilsteins here in NY, Anze suspension for some of the porsche guys but i would assume you are looking at whatever the bilsteins cost $150? and then add at least 200 possibly 300 or more for the revalve, i mean just a rebuild with changing oil is 200, adding shims and revalving and dynoing and readjusting has to be expensive. at that point your close to 500 a corner, might as well just buy a nice set. i think at the track one of the guys was saying 575 or so a corner for penskes he was having developed for his new M2.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 09:33 PM   #42
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
berns- the clubsports are doing a great job, you are obviously a good driver, i just seen a few on the forums coming up lately for sale from guys stepping up to mcs or jrz. for me i dont know enough about suspension and at my driver level a good single adjustable setup is good enough. i will say one thing i had koni yellows and bmw perf springs and the ast4100 with 7k/12k were much more comfortable. i had 7k up front and dropped down to 6k and i think they are a tad soft and will probably go back to 7k or 8k. i had an e93 m3 front sway and replaced it with a set of eibach front and rear which are 27mm and 16 mm solid but also swapped out my whole suspension and did rsfb at the same time so its hard to tell and really haven't had enough time to play around.

spxx
i know one shop that revalves the bilsteins here in NY, Anze suspension for some of the porsche guys but i would assume you are looking at whatever the bilsteins cost $150? and then add at least 200 possibly 300 or more for the revalve, i mean just a rebuild with changing oil is 200, adding shims and revalving and dynoing and readjusting has to be expensive. at that point your close to 500 a corner, might as well just buy a nice set. i think at the track one of the guys was saying 575 or so a corner for penskes he was having developed for his new M2.
Yeah I feel like MCS/Moton/AST has done a great job at marketing to the sports car racing series - they're on a pedestal and in my fairly uninformed opinion I think overrated. Same goes for KWs, I will probably go with Ohlins or Bilstein next.
      11-15-2017, 09:58 PM   #43
spxxx
Boost
Rep

How is the M3 steering rack vs stock? I do find myself being annoyed with the longer ratio + understeer on sharp turns and having to reposition hands occasionally
      11-15-2017, 10:18 PM   #44
berns
Captain
Rep

Quote:
How is the M3 steering rack vs stock? I do find myself being annoyed with the longer ratio + understeer on sharp turns and having to reposition hands occasionally
I mean, watch the in-car vid for an example of why the M3 rack is fucking worth every penny. Steering is definitely heavier, but response is perfect to me. Not a fun swap to do yourself but not too bad. Need to make sure the rack is centered, that's the hard part.
Appreciate 1
Bimmer TV125.00