BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-10-2019, 12:22 PM   #1
Mineral///M4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW ///M4 Coupe

Misfire Cylinder 5

Please help steer me in the right direction. I have a misfire cylinder 5. Typically it is the injector, spark plug or the coil pack. I had a mechanic change out my injector. It solved the problem for a few days. Two days ago I had the coil pack & spark plug changed. This morning my check engine came on w/ misfire cylinder 5. What am I missing? The car is up to date on all services and always runs really strong. I have all the popular mods done including RB Turbo next gens plus tune.

2009 135i N54
AT

Thank you,
b
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 01:18 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

First move the coil pack(to another good cylinder!). IF miss fire continues, move the spark plug. IF miss fire continues... could be carbon buildup. More than 50K miles? You need a carbon cleaning.

What level injector did he update with? Index #12 is the latest I believe. Also... you should always replace the injectors in batches of three. Because there are two banks(as far as the DME see's things). So your mechanic should have replaced at least three injectors in not all six. Did he code the new injector to the DME ? Does he even know how too ? These are the types of questions one should ask of anyone who "thinks" they are qualified to work on our cars.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 01:56 PM   #3
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Test to see if the wastegate actuators hold vacuum.

I've read through lots of old threads about #5 being the odd man out, first bearing to go, first cylinder to knock hardest one to figure out whats going on, some calling it false knock, etc.
I've also seen a good many threads about the actuator for the rear turbo going bad. Mine is bad.
But I never see anyone make the correlation. IMO the engine wants to run smooth and even. When the exhaust velocity/flow is in an imbalance bank to bank that can't happen.

So that's my best theory.

To test it all you have to do is grab a vacuum gun and draw it up. If it holds, it's good. If not, it's bad.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 09:19 PM   #4
Mineral///M4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW ///M4 Coupe

Between doing the walnut blasting & coding #5 injector fixed my issue. Just in time for all this cold air.
Appreciate 0