BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-03-2010, 04:29 PM   #67
ronster
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmat View Post
Mine was installed yesterday. My car feels the same as yours !
943 pump?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 08:42 PM   #68
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad@PSI MOTORS View Post
I did find out thought that the morons in the CA Air Resources Board and our great state let the Ethanol be increased from 10 to 15% recently. I swear to god these people are pluckin idiots that should no more be in charge of a Legoland then our state.

So how would that explain the high failure rates in Europe and Australia? Stop blaming this BS on the US government, and put the blame where it belong......on BMW management. They've got a substandard product that's failing in the field, and they refuse to deal with it, and that's the bottom line. The ethonal limits in the US don't have a damn thing to do with this, and you people need to give that shit a rest.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 10:47 PM   #69
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

Amen. Every other auto manu seems to be able to make pumps that work. Regardless of the fuel(s). Why can't BMW? If it was a gas pedal that was failing, they'd have fixed it 3 years ago.
      03-03-2010, 11:26 PM   #70
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
So how would that explain the high failure rates in Europe and Australia? Stop blaming this BS on the US government, and put the blame where it belong......on BMW management. They've got a substandard product that's failing in the field, and they refuse to deal with it, and that's the bottom line. The ethonal limits in the US don't have a damn thing to do with this, and you people need to give that shit a rest.
Agree 100%. The ethanol factor has been discredited- failure rates in europe are similar to ours in the US, even without the corn fed gas. Also, there are places in the US where the ethanol content is low, yet people still have these failures.

From my own experience, one pump failed in FOUR WEEKS. That's not some long term effect of 10-15% ethanol... that's a more serious design flaw (either in the engine design or in the pumps themselves).
135i // M-Sports Package // RR Oil Catch Can // Black Kidneys // iCarbon Hood // Alum Pedals // KW v2 Coilovers // Vorshlag Camber Plates // Hotchkis Sway Bar // Wheel Studs. Best mod ever? Tires. 255's in front, 275's in back.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 11:45 PM   #71
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad@PSI MOTORS View Post
Yes I know 2 people locally that have had the 943 installed within the last 2 weeks and they are already getting long cranks and throwing 2FBF's and 2AAF. So no such luck. I did find out thought that the morons in the CA Air Resources Board and our great state let the Ethanol be increased from 10 to 15% recently. I swear to god these people are pluckin idiots that should no more be in charge of a Legoland then our state.
The pumps only JUST came out like 2-3 weeks ago. So you're saying, their dealers stocked them, installed them, and they are already getting long cranks within a couple weeks?

I mean, I have no reason not to believe you, but man- I guess I was expecting to hear of the first ones going out in like a month or so.

Let's keep this thread open for others reporting 943 failures.
135i // M-Sports Package // RR Oil Catch Can // Black Kidneys // iCarbon Hood // Alum Pedals // KW v2 Coilovers // Vorshlag Camber Plates // Hotchkis Sway Bar // Wheel Studs. Best mod ever? Tires. 255's in front, 275's in back.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #72
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

Happened to stop by the dealer yesterday. My salesman mentioned that in the past 2 weeks, 2 2010 1ers were in for fuel pumps. One had a couple thousand miles and the other had about 6 thousand. NOT GOOD. I'm just about to hit 2K on mine. This crap pisses me off.
      03-10-2010, 10:14 AM   #73
ronnyek
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Evo MR Touring

I would really really like to get my hands on one of these HPFPs good or bad, any model number... BMW apparently cant fix it, I'll build one and sell.

Yes thats right, I'll put engineering into it myself and put money into it myself so I dont have to try and start my car and have it crank and crank and crank in front of people. Doesnt exactly make bmws look that quality if its hard to start them every time.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #74
AlBel1214
Major
Rep
Drives: past 135i, now c6, future M3??

I am waiting for the first confirmed 943 failure...

-----LS3 C6-----
z51 suspension, NPP dual mode exhaust(wild2mild),20% tint, zr1 replica wheels, gloss black fender stripes
R.I.P SGM 135i w/ some mods
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #75
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

What happened to the mythic aftermarket pump that had been developed/tested, etc. and was "soon" going to be available?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 02:15 PM   #76
akak1997
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 @ 135mph

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
What happened to the mythic aftermarket pump that had been developed/tested, etc. and was "soon" going to be available?
The unicorn stole it and hid it under the rainbow.

After that big thread of bashing I guess CP-e probably gave up on it...
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #77
Judge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Could the N55 be BMW's solution? I always wondered why the N54's sucessor would put out the same numbers performance wise. Maybe they just decided to extend our warranties, replace the engine for next gen models and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 02:47 PM   #78
DBFIU
Crack Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Could the N55 be BMW's solution? I always wondered why the N54's sucessor would put out the same numbers performance wise. Maybe they just decided to extend our warranties, replace the engine for next gen models and call it a day.
It costs a lot more money to develop a new engine combination then to redesign a pump. For goodness sakes, a pump, it's not that hard.

I honestly dont think BMW made the N55 because of the HPFP failure, thats like killing a fly with a sledgehammer. Overkill.

If this werE toyota, you bet they would have a new pump out. In record time too. And with a free wash and wax, because toyota gives a shit about their reputation.

Last edited by DBFIU; 03-10-2010 at 02:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 05:04 PM   #79
ronnyek
Captain
United_States
Rep

uhh the n55 is no different than the turbo configuration is it?

As a side note, after months (at least 3) of ~10 second cranks I decided to scan my car and found a bunch of 2fbf codes... called up my dealer and they told me today that its all programming. All they will do for me is program my car.

Fucking BMW... never buying another. I am fine with a defective product but dicking me around like I dont know anything about cars... and having to deal with the fact that the car doesnt want to run, or that I get to deal with potentially sluggish running conditions because the fp's cant maintain pressure is complete and utter bs.

No check engine light? Sorry nothign we can do... yes, but that doesnt mean no check engine light means no problems.

I'm ready to capitalize on BMW and their inabilities to apparently do things right. Anyone has an old broke pump or even a working pump... please PM me.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 04:10 PM   #80
sbefar01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1er

I guess i will just continue to replace 2 pumps a year like I have, almost like an oil change, oh well, with a few goodies . . . its an awesome car nevertheless.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 04:19 PM   #81
ronnyek
Captain
United_States
Rep

I like my car very much, but the repairs to only repair again is getting REAL REAL REAL old... especially since my car likes to limp along for months and months and months before it actually errors or shows check engine light.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 04:32 PM   #82
Judge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbefar01 View Post
I guess i will just continue to replace 2 pumps a year like I have, almost like an oil change, oh well, with a few goodies . . . its an awesome car nevertheless.
I'm with you except HPFP replacements aren't like oil changes which are scheduled and controlled. The HPFP meltdown happens randomly and without warning. For me (*knocks on wood), that could be on a 430-foot high four-lane bridge over the Gulf of Mexico.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #83
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

On the note of the car limping around for several weeks prior to a failure, I wonder if BMW knew about the problem before the motors even went into production and therefore programmed the ECUs to "accept" a certain level of errors before a code will get thrown. This could be why they are so adamant about the light showing up on the dash before replacing it.

If the light shows up = X number of errors have occurred and therefore is a pump that will fail.

Anyone want to plug their computer in to their OBD port and see if any if/then statements written in there? LOL.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 05:17 PM   #84
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

i have NEVER double posted before as i just posted this on the other HPFP thread......but this issue is so sensitive i will post it twice and a moderator can feel free to delete if deemed.

My car had issues tuesday this week and..
indeed...i just had my update wednesday and i was told by the service advisor that there has been quite a few updates on the ECU and BMW feels this last one is the best so far...it was there opinion that the issues with the fuel pump are software related AND WAS TOLD THAT ALL CARS THAT RECENTLY HAVE HAD THE NEW SOFTWARE UPDATE, NOT 1 HAS COME BACK YET......so will see..
the updated DME Software W/Version 2.7..installed this week....
This BMW pump or software issue is un-acceptable IMO, and BMW is taking a good stance in getting to the bottom of it and giving us the care that is needed, but again IMO they should step up to the plate 110% till this issue is cleared up and that might be putting some more fuel pumps in cars that might not need them with the updated flash, but at least they are sending the message that they are doing "EVERYTHING" THEY COULD....IT'S TO LATE WHEN YOU BREAKDOWN... I did not witness the issue this week as my son was driving the car but... in 35 years of driving i never had a car pop,shake,vibrate go into limp mode throw a CEL, 2 months after i owned it .....the Final good thing that came of it, on the drive home from the dealer being fairly aggressive,,,,it was so much fun that i seemed to forget for a bit all these issues, this car is a blast...and i imagine after a tune and the boost turned up it will be ?????....My gut feeling on this is that it may be both a software and pump issue...but i am leaning more to the software side of it...

Coming from another platform MazdaSpeed3 that also had issues with there HPFP only after HP/TQ reached a certain output, but stock there was not failures like this...CP-E had a great upgraded pump for the car..
But with everything else aftermarket....warranty issues....and with these type of failures moding your engine with aftermarket products is slightly riskyyyy till this pump/software issue is cleared up?? I learned my lesson....

Last edited by IZAGLO; 03-12-2010 at 05:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #85
crex
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i, Jeep wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZAGLO View Post
i have NEVER double posted before as i just posted this on the other HPFP thread......but this issue is so sensitive i will post it twice and a moderator can feel free to delete if deemed.

My car had issues tuesday this week and..
indeed...i just had my update wednesday and i was told by the service advisor that there has been quite a few updates on the ECU and BMW feels this last one is the best so far...it was there opinion that the issues with the fuel pump are software related AND WAS TOLD THAT ALL CARS THAT RECENTLY HAVE HAD THE NEW SOFTWARE UPDATE, NOT 1 HAS COME BACK YET......so will see..
the updated DME Software W/Version 2.7..installed this week....
This BMW pump or software issue is un-acceptable IMO, and BMW is taking a good stance in getting to the bottom of it and giving us the care that is needed, but again IMO they should step up to the plate 110% till this issue is cleared up and that might be putting some more fuel pumps in cars that might not need them with the updated flash, but at least they are sending the message that they are doing "EVERYTHING" THEY COULD....IT'S TO LATE WHEN YOU BREAKDOWN... I did not witness the issue this week as my son was driving the car but... in 35 years of driving i never had a car pop,shake,vibrate go into limp mode throw a CEL, 2 months after i owned it .....the Final good thing that came of it, on the drive home from the dealer being fairly aggressive,,,,it was so much fun that i seemed to forget for a bit all these issues, this car is a blast...and i imagine after a tune and the boost turned up it will be ?????....My gut feeling on this is that it may be both a software and pump issue...but i am leaning more to the software side of it...

Coming from another platform MazdaSpeed3 that also had issues with there HPFP only after HP/TQ reached a certain output, but stock there was not failures like this...CP-E had a great upgraded pump for the car..
But with everything else aftermarket....warranty issues....and with these type of failures moding your engine with aftermarket products is slightly riskyyyy till this pump/software issue is cleared up?? I learned my lesson....
Thanks for the post/info.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2010, 03:08 AM   #86
ronnyek
Captain
United_States
Rep

Well... my SA told me he had like 10 pumps (943's) and BMW took them back out of their stock. I went in there very hesitant that their supposed software "fix" was going to do me any good, as I am a software engineer and know that software USUALLY doesnt fix hardware thats broke.

I'll update with the software updates and the procedures performed... but basically the car is much more pleasant. Do I think they fixed it? No, but I think they definately made the car more pleasant to drive until its a complete failure.

If I had to guess the software update runs the low pressure pump full blast when you unlock or proximity for Comfort access cars... that way HPFP will have an easier time pressurinzing when you TRY to start it... it still takes a few rotations, but were talking like 1-2 vs the ~10 it was before. Also, I think they set boost targets to kick in at lower rpms, and possibly higher boost... when I am cruising on the fwy at 75 in 6th gear, and gently roll on the gas, it gets up and goes great.

I would say I am happy with this, until they have a REAL fixed pump.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2010, 05:55 AM   #87
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyek View Post
If I had to guess the software update runs the low pressure pump full blast when you unlock or proximity for Comfort access cars... that way HPFP will have an easier time pressurinzing when you TRY to start it...
I had the same thought! After another HPFP replacement (with the 943 pump) last week, I thought I heard something when I unlock the doors in the morning. It sounds like something actually begins running before I hit the ignition button.

Has anyone else noticed this change, or was it always like that?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2010, 06:17 AM   #88
ronnyek
Captain
United_States
Rep

yes, it DEFINAETLY sounds much louder... I seem to remember when I FIRST got my car, it was very audible fuel pump sound when I go to unlock... then for a year or so, nothing. I dont think I am out of the blue as I know I have a bunk pump... but at least I'll be able to enjoy car a bit until the pump goes
Appreciate 0