BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-15-2018, 12:47 PM   #23
Stubbie Blue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer23rm View Post
anyone else see this? it is pricey at around $900, which in South African Rands is A LOT.

but so much want.

https://www.alpine-electronics.co.za...nits/ilx-f903d

I've seen the Alpine Halo9 iLX-F309 but at $900, it's too expensive for me. The Joying headunit was $300, has Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, and also runs the Android 8 OS so you can run pretty much any Android app directly on it.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 04:26 PM   #24
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie Blue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer23rm View Post
anyone else see this? it is pricey at around $900, which in South African Rands is A LOT.

but so much want.

https://www.alpine-electronics.co.za/p/Products/head-units/ilx-f903d

I've seen the Alpine Halo9 iLX-F309 but at $900, it's too expensive for me. The Joying headunit was $300, has Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, and also runs the Android 8 OS so you can run pretty much any Android app directly on it.
Wait the $300 unit has CarPlay? I wish there was a detailed video of an installed unit
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 05:46 PM   #25
Stubbie Blue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post
Wait the $300 unit has CarPlay? I wish there was a detailed video of an installed unit
Yes Joying does actually have YouTube videos under this channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFr...JJOR7c3zWiloVA

Appreciate 1
      11-29-2018, 09:59 AM   #26
shia_is_my_spirit_animal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Sparkling Graphite 135i

Hey Stubbie-

After a disastrous experience with the Xtrons unit - it cooked itself once properly wired - I'm going to follow in your footsteps. I got the Joying unit and it looks like a quality piece of equipment. I'm just waiting for the Metra din plate to come in so I can install.

One question - did you relocate your OE headunit or leave it out? If you removed it entirely, did you end up with the SOS error message in the OBC? Further, if you had that issue were you able to code it out?

Thanks!
      11-29-2018, 04:36 PM   #27
Stubbie Blue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shia_is_my_spirit_animal View Post
Hey Stubbie-

After a disastrous experience with the Xtrons unit - it cooked itself once properly wired - I'm going to follow in your footsteps. I got the Joying unit and it looks like a quality piece of equipment. I'm just waiting for the Metra din plate to come in so I can install.

One question - did you relocate your OE headunit or leave it out? If you removed it entirely, did you end up with the SOS error message in the OBC? Further, if you had that issue were you able to code it out?

Thanks!
I removed the original headunit, and the PAC RadioPRO RP4.2-BM21 interfaces with the car to prevent any SOS errors. It also gives you warning chimes, PDC and steering wheel controls.
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2018, 05:58 PM   #28
shia_is_my_spirit_animal
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hey Stubbie-

Thanks!
I removed the original headunit, and the PAC RadioPRO RP4.2-BM21 interfaces with the car to prevent any SOS errors. It also gives you warning chimes, PDC and steering wheel controls.
Quote:
Quote:
Hey Stubbie-

Thanks!
Perfect, I wasn't sure if the RadioPRO would prevent the errors. Can't tell you how glad I am you blazed this trail for us.
      12-15-2018, 12:51 PM   #29
shia_is_my_spirit_animal
United_States
Rep

Stubbie, can you help me with steering wheel programming? I have the RadioPro set to Pioneer/Other, and I am in the steering wheel controls menu but it doesn't seem to be recognizing the steering wheel inputs. Above each column of buttons are little numerical displays that show 255 and intermittently change to 254. Wondering if I have a loose wire? But I can't find programming instructions.
      12-15-2018, 06:18 PM   #30
Stubbie Blue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Stubbie, can you help me with steering wheel programming? I have the RadioPro set to Pioneer/Other, and I am in the steering wheel controls menu but it doesn't seem to be recognizing the steering wheel inputs. Above each column of buttons are little numerical displays that show 255 and intermittently change to 254. Wondering if I have a loose wire? But I can't find programming instructions.
Make sure the DIP switches are set on the RadioPro before you power it up. If you try to change it while it is on, it won't work properly. Just unplug the power wires, set the switches and plug it back in to restart it.

Leave the RadioPro on the default Pioneer programming in the beginning to test it, and you can customize it later. When you press a button on the steering wheel the red light on the RadioPro should come on. Then on the Joying SWC screen, some of the numbers should change to like 50 or something, and you can assign it to a function while still holding down the button.

If that doesn't work, check the wire (blue/yellow from RadioPro to brown wire of Joying) or try restarting the Joying headunit (swipe down from top and the middle icon I think).
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2018, 07:00 PM   #31
shia_is_my_spirit_animal
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Make sure the DIP switches are set on the RadioPro before you power it up. If you try to change it while it is on, it won't work properly. Just unplug the power wires, set the switches and plug it back in to restart it.

Leave the RadioPro on the default Pioneer programming in the beginning to test it, and you can customize it later. When you press a button on the steering wheel the red light on the RadioPro should come on. Then on the Joying SWC screen, some of the numbers should change to like 50 or something, and you can assign it to a function while still holding down the button.

If that doesn't work, check the wire (blue/yellow from RadioPro to brown wire of Joying) or try restarting the Joying headunit (swipe down from top and the middle icon I think).
Ok, I'll try that in the order you suggested. I am beginning to wonder if I wired the wrong brown and blue/yellow wires together.
      01-06-2019, 02:35 PM   #32
shia_is_my_spirit_animal
United_States
Rep

Bumping again and giving more props to Stubbie on this one - thanks for your suggestion! I had it wired right but I think the RadioPRO just needed a reset. Did that and was able to program steering wheel function immediately!

Now, a new issue. External bluetooth microphone stopped working. Figured I pinched the wire somewhere when installing. Removed it only to find that not only does it look fine but a replacement microphone also does not work. Internal microphone works as long as the external is disconnected but callers tell me they hear a lot of echo. Any ideas?
      01-06-2019, 08:05 PM   #33
Stubbie Blue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Bumping again and giving more props to Stubbie on this one - thanks for your suggestion! I had it wired right but I think the RadioPRO just needed a reset. Did that and was able to program steering wheel function immediately!

Now, a new issue. External bluetooth microphone stopped working. Figured I pinched the wire somewhere when installing. Removed it only to find that not only does it look fine but a replacement microphone also does not work. Internal microphone works as long as the external is disconnected but callers tell me they hear a lot of echo. Any ideas?
Make sure the mic is plugged in fully. Mine was very stiff. See the photos near the bottom of Joying's help article:
https://www.joyingauto.com/blog/post...oid-head-unit/

A different mic probably won't work because Joying uses a 4 pole plug (Tip Ring Ring Sleeve) with the mic probably wired on the 2nd ring and sleeve, while a standard mic uses the tip and the sleeve with no rings on the plug.

I actually don't use the Bluetooth much because even with the external mic, callers still say they have trouble hearing me, especially with road noise.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 05:44 AM   #34
shia_is_my_spirit_animal
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Make sure the mic is plugged in fully. Mine was very stiff. See the photos near the bottom of Joying's help article:
https://www.joyingauto.com/blog/post...oid-head-unit/

A different mic probably won't work because Joying uses a 4 pole plug (Tip Ring Ring Sleeve) with the mic probably wired on the 2nd ring and sleeve, while a standard mic uses the tip and the sleeve with no rings on the plug.

I actually don't use the Bluetooth much because even with the external mic, callers still say they have trouble hearing me, especially with road noise.
Wonder why they used an odd 4-pole setup instead of a standard 2 or 3. Just to make things even more difficult when support is nearly non-existent anyway I guess.

I found a thread on xda-developers at some point about changing the bluetooth audio codec setting and it making a marked improvement. Can't find the thread again but I may play around with it when I have some time and see if I can make progress. Worst case scenario I can get a stand-alone bluetooth handsfree setup I suppose - everything else works pretty damn well.
      01-10-2019, 06:06 PM   #35
Lowerfredrick
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i

Thank you so much for your exquisitely detailed post. My son and I could never have done this (would never have done this) without your post. Not easy but it's done.

My question is about the back up camera. Everything was working well in the garage, even with engine running. Once we got all the trunk trim pieces in and everything buttoned up, we got static on the display trying to back car out. Weird. Why? Anyway, I ordered the filter you suggested. Can you please show, or explain, how this gets wired in? It's the last piece of a long puzzle. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 06:57 PM   #36
Stubbie Blue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerfredrick View Post
Thank you so much for your exquisitely detailed post. My son and I could never have done this (would never have done this) without your post. Not easy but it's done.

My question is about the back up camera. Everything was working well in the garage, even with engine running. Once we got all the trunk trim pieces in and everything buttoned up, we got static on the display trying to back car out. Weird. Why? Anyway, I ordered the filter you suggested. Can you please show, or explain, how this gets wired in? It's the last piece of a long puzzle. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
Sure, I drew in the PAC CSS12 noise filter and additional ground wire on the photo.

You have to disconnect the backup cam red wire from the relay and insert the PAC CSS12 in between them.

It has 3 wires:
The red input wire connects to the 87 yellow wire from the relay
The blue filtered output wire connects to the red backup cam wire
The black wire connects to the grounding point

I also used a wire to connect the grounding bolt next to the lights to the main grounding point below that the battery negative is also connected to.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 09:50 PM   #37
gt2013
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 128i

Thank you for the great guide! I followed it to the T but unfortunately do not get any sound. I plugged in the old BMW headunit in halfway through to make sure sound works which it did just not wen connecting the Joying unit.

Any tips or configuration I missed?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 07:02 AM   #38
Stubbie Blue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt2013 View Post
Thank you for the great guide! I followed it to the T but unfortunately do not get any sound. I plugged in the old BMW headunit in halfway through to make sure sound works which it did just not wen connecting the Joying unit.

Any tips or configuration I missed?
Make sure the Joying unit is outputting 12 Volts on the orange/black amp turn on wire.

If there is no voltage, I think some units are not setup to turn on an external amp by default. On the Joying unit, go into:
- Settings
- Factory, and the password is 3368
- Amp enable, and it should actually be set to "No Amp"
- You may have to restart the Joying (swipe down from top of screen and tap the middle power icon)
Also go into:
- Device
- Sounds
- Amp should be On
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 02:15 PM   #39
muhtasim
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 Honda Civic

Hi,

The head unit link that you provided in the original post is no longer a valid link, would this be the same thing?

https://www.joyingauto.com/newest-8-...-4gb-64gb.html

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 02:56 PM   #40
Stubbie Blue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by muhtasim View Post
Hi,

The head unit link that you provided in the original post is no longer a valid link, would this be the same thing?

Thanks in advance.
Yeah Joying keeps updating their units, so my exact one is no longer available.

The one you linked:

has a PX5 CPU 4GB RAM 64GB ROM, Android 8.1 but it doesn't show the fast boot feature, which I found to be very handy.

This one:
https://www.joyingauto.com/joying-la...-with-dsp.html

has an Intel Airmont CPU 4GB RAM 32 GB ROM, Android 8.1 and it does have fast boot, so I would rather get this one.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 03:25 PM   #41
muhtasim
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Yeah Joying keeps updating their units, so my exact one is no longer available.

The one you linked:

has a PX5 CPU 4GB RAM 64GB ROM, Android 8.1 but it doesn't show the fast boot feature, which I found to be very handy.

This one:
https://www.joyingauto.com/joying-la...-with-dsp.html

has an Intel Airmont CPU 4GB RAM 32 GB ROM, Android 8.1 and it does have fast boot, so I would rather get this one.
The one you sent doesn't show up on the list when I select BMW on their site, is there a reason for that? Sorry I'm completely new to this and I'm not sure how the sizing for the head unit works at all.

Thanks,
Muhtasim
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 03:43 PM   #42
Stubbie Blue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by muhtasim View Post
The one you sent doesn't show up on the list when I select BMW on their site, is there a reason for that? Sorry I'm completely new to this and I'm not sure how the sizing for the head unit works at all.

Thanks,
Muhtasim
You just need a universal single DIN headunit, and all of those listed under the BMW section are universal, so I'm not sure why the one I recommended was not listed.

It is actually the PAC RadioPRO RP4.2-BM21 which is specific for BMWs and takes care of interfacing to the wiring, steering wheel controls, warning chimes and PDC.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 04:31 PM   #43
muhtasim
Registered
Rep

Quote:
You just need a universal single DIN headunit, and all of those listed under the BMW section are universal, so I'm not sure why the one I recommended was not listed.

It is actually the PAC RadioPRO RP4.2-BM21 which is specific for BMWs and takes care of interfacing to the wiring, steering wheel controls, warning chimes and PDC.
I see, that makes sense, thanks for breaking it down so well in the thread overall, I just finished reading through it! I'm looking to try it on my E88 once the weather gets a bit warmer here
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 10:33 PM   #44
gt2013
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 128i

Quote:
Make sure the Joying unit is outputting 12 Volts on the orange/black amp turn on wire.

If there is no voltage, I think some units are not setup to turn on an external amp by default. On the Joying unit, go into:
- Settings
- Factory, and the password is 3368
- Amp enable, and it should actually be set to "No Amp"
- You may have to restart the Joying (swipe down from top of screen and tap the middle power icon)
Also go into:
- Device
- Sounds
- Amp should be On
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately that did not solve it for me. Tried every combination without much luck. Did notice that at full volume you can very faintly hear some music, so definitely an amp problem.

Didn't have enough time to check if there was any voltage on the AMP wire but did try to connect it to the PAC 12v programmable wire without much success either. Not sure where to go from here, I've sent a mail to Joying and hope they might have some suggestions
Appreciate 0