BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-29-2020, 12:29 AM   #133
BillDaCat8
Private First Class
BillDaCat8's Avatar
United_States
220
Rep
198
Posts

Drives: Toyota Tacoma
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Glendale AZ

iTrader: (0)

Futzing with gaps

Getting everything lined up and all of the gaps satisfactory is going to be a “fun” process.

Attached Images
    
__________________

Last edited by BillDaCat8; 02-29-2020 at 12:39 AM..
Appreciate 2
houtan450.50
Afam28145.50

      03-01-2020, 10:13 PM   #134
BillDaCat8
Private First Class
BillDaCat8's Avatar
United_States
220
Rep
198
Posts

Drives: Toyota Tacoma
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Glendale AZ

iTrader: (0)

Front bumper came home.

Just wanted to see it.
Attached Images
    
__________________
Appreciate 7
Petro135132.50
houtan450.50
low1352141.50
Afam28145.50
BMWWorld125.50
BAN_M2C3322.00

      03-04-2020, 12:55 PM   #135
LcossE82
Private First Class
United_States
27
Rep
161
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW 128i
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Bonita springs, Fl

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDaCat8 View Post
Just wanted to see it.
Insane man!
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2020, 03:23 PM   #136
BillDaCat8
Private First Class
BillDaCat8's Avatar
United_States
220
Rep
198
Posts

Drives: Toyota Tacoma
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Glendale AZ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LcossE82 View Post
Insane man!
You’re not the first to call me that. For this project, and other reasons.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 03:24 PM   #137
LcossE82
Private First Class
United_States
27
Rep
161
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW 128i
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Bonita springs, Fl

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDaCat8 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcossE82 View Post
Insane man!
You’re not the first to call me that. For this project, and other reasons.
Inspiring nonetheless haha!!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 08:38 PM   #138
BillDaCat8
Private First Class
BillDaCat8's Avatar
United_States
220
Rep
198
Posts

Drives: Toyota Tacoma
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Glendale AZ

iTrader: (0)

Ryan calls it “J-spec”

Fussing over gaps and such.

Revozsport did me no favors with this hood. It's easily 3-4mm narrower than the OE hood and the fit up front over the grilles was, frankly, awful. Not to mention a large flaw in the finish in a very conspicuous spot. (good thing I'm painting it) For a product that costs what this does, I am NOT impressed.

Anyway, I've managed to make lemonade I think. Have a look. There's a LOT of shaping going on here to make that gap over the grills and the three upper bumper tips as clean as possible.
Attached Images
     
__________________

Last edited by BillDaCat8; 03-20-2020 at 09:20 PM..
Appreciate 7
houtan450.50
Yeineken1163.50
low1352141.50
Afam28145.50
BMWWorld125.50
BAN_M2C3322.00

      04-07-2020, 07:49 PM   #139
Afam28
User
United_States
146
Rep
408
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 135i M-sport
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: MD.

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDaCat8 View Post
Fussing over gaps and such.

Revozsport did me no favors with this hood. It's easily 3-4mm narrower than the OE hood and the fit up front over the grilles was, frankly, awful. Not to mention a large flaw in the finish in a very conspicuous spot. (good thing I'm painting it) For a product that costs what this does, I am NOT impressed.

Anyway, I've managed to make lemonade I think. Have a look. There's a LOT of shaping going on here to make that gap over the grills and the three upper bumper tips as clean as possible.
Probably a noob question...
But what is the process of overcoming stock 135i vs stock 1m wheel location?
Does the entire suspension system need to be replaced or modified?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 10:54 PM   #140
BMWWorld
Private First Class
126
Rep
162
Posts

Drives: E90
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: PR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDaCat8 View Post
Fussing over gaps and such.

Revozsport did me no favors with this hood. It's easily 3-4mm narrower than the OE hood and the fit up front over the grilles was, frankly, awful. Not to mention a large flaw in the finish in a very conspicuous spot. (good thing I'm painting it) For a product that costs what this does, I am NOT impressed.

Anyway, I've managed to make lemonade I think. Have a look. There's a LOT of shaping going on here to make that gap over the grills and the three upper bumper tips as clean as possible.
For what I've seen from several carbon fiber hoods the front bumper gap is a big issue.

But I got to say you're doing a hell of a great job.
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2020, 02:01 PM   #141
BillDaCat8
Private First Class
BillDaCat8's Avatar
United_States
220
Rep
198
Posts

Drives: Toyota Tacoma
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Glendale AZ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afam28 View Post
Probably a noob question...
But what is the process of overcoming stock 135i vs stock 1m wheel location?
Does the entire suspension system need to be replaced or modified?
I'm assuming that you're speaking of the rear hubs being 10mm wider per side.

You can either go to the 1M/M3 rear suspension completely including knuckles arms etc. Or, you can swap out the 135 hubs and bearings themselves for the narrower hubs.

In my particular case, The way I've rolled the rear quarters, I've easily gained more than that 10mm in clearance. So, standard 1M/M3 offsets should be just fine.

I did all of the suspension modification stuff a couple years ago.
Attached Images
 
__________________

Last edited by BillDaCat8; 04-16-2020 at 02:07 PM..
Appreciate 2
Afam28145.50
BAN_M2C3322.00

      04-16-2020, 02:09 PM   #142
BillDaCat8
Private First Class
BillDaCat8's Avatar
United_States
220
Rep
198
Posts

Drives: Toyota Tacoma
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Glendale AZ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWWorld View Post
For what I've seen from several carbon fiber hoods the front bumper gap is a big issue.

But I got to say you're doing a hell of a great job.
Thanks. I've been a bit lazy of late. I need to get back out there and get more done.
__________________
Appreciate 1
BMWWorld125.50

      04-16-2020, 06:11 PM   #143
Skers 05
Lieutenant
Skers 05's Avatar
United_States
59
Rep
552
Posts

Drives: '08 1M Clone, '11 328i, '13 X5
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

iTrader: (10)

Keep the updates coming! We are all cheering you on! It will be awesome to have another completed Clone to add to the family!
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2020, 01:50 PM   #144
BMWWorld
Private First Class
126
Rep
162
Posts

Drives: E90
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: PR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDaCat8 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWWorld View Post
For what I've seen from several carbon fiber hoods the front bumper gap is a big issue.

But I got to say you're doing a hell of a great job.
Thanks. I've been a bit lazy of late. I need to get back out there and get more done.
I'm eager to see this protect done, but I get the rollercoaster we go through when doing a build. Good luck with it🔥👌🏽
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2020, 11:05 PM   #145
BillDaCat8
Private First Class
BillDaCat8's Avatar
United_States
220
Rep
198
Posts

Drives: Toyota Tacoma
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Glendale AZ

iTrader: (0)

Ok. I’m settling.

Not perfect. But, I’m fairly happy with these gaps. Since these pics were taken; I’ve yanked the hood and ripped the fenders off to paint their inner areas as well as painting the hood hinges and the areas adjacent next.

Yeah. I’m slow and picky. Sorry everyone.
Attached Images
    
__________________

Last edited by BillDaCat8; 04-26-2020 at 11:11 PM..
Appreciate 1
BMWWorld125.50

      04-26-2020, 11:18 PM   #146
BillDaCat8
Private First Class
BillDaCat8's Avatar
United_States
220
Rep
198
Posts

Drives: Toyota Tacoma
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Glendale AZ

iTrader: (0)

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-9tltWpKGv/

Just a few quick videos I’d done for a friend while we were chatting.
__________________
Appreciate 1
BAN_M2C3322.00

      05-23-2020, 01:33 AM   #147
///Makis
Private
///Makis's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
57
Posts

Drives: BMW 128i
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Piscataway, NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDaCat8 View Post
Not perfect. But, I'm fairly happy with these gaps. Since these pics were taken; I've yanked the hood and ripped the fenders off to paint their inner areas as well as painting the hood hinges and the areas adjacent next.

Yeah. I'm slow and picky. Sorry everyone.
Hi Bill, fantastic build btw.

I'm just wondering, how did you fix the gaps? The pics before look wider than the straits of Gibraltar and then the last ones look like they were made for your car.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 08:27 AM   #148
BillDaCat8
Private First Class
BillDaCat8's Avatar
United_States
220
Rep
198
Posts

Drives: Toyota Tacoma
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Glendale AZ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Makis View Post
Hi Bill, fantastic build btw.

I'm just wondering, how did you fix the gaps? The pics before look wider than the straits of Gibraltar and then the last ones look like they were made for your car.
Gaps to the fender are adjusted by moving the fenders and hood around obviously. Had to cheat little bit on those to get them in closer since this hood is a bit narrower than the OE hood. Tiny notches in the fender mounting holes did the trick there.
Clearance to the grilles was made by adjusting (sanding) the hood itself. Adjust bumpers to a lower position and then sneak a piece of emory cloth between them. Very slow going and blister inducing.
__________________
Appreciate 2
houtan450.50

      07-07-2020, 05:57 PM   #149
qxangelxp
New Member
3
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: A Pontiac, A Kawasaki, A BMW
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (1)

I just spent the last hour exploring this build thread. It was a rollercoaster of ups-and-downs, but I loved every moment of it.

I'm having mixed feelings about doing a 1M conversion to my 135i (paying a race shop to do it) or just doing fender flares, or buying a real 1m and selling my 135, or buying an M2c and selling my 135.

All in all, I want a wide boi, but I'm not sure just how I'm gonna do it.
When I consider that I paid around 14k for my 135i, I feel better knowing I could have paid 45-50k for a similar mileage 1M. I'll just spend 10-15k on doing the conversion (appropriate number?) and some on suspension work and still be ahead of a 1M buyer.

Anyway, not to hijack your thread, this build is amazing, and I love your detailed photos + descriptions. I feel like we're all on this adventure with you, and it definitely gives me great insight into auto-body and fab, somthing I know nothing about!

Keep up the great build, and can't wait to see it continue on.
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2020, 07:01 AM   #150
katsooba
First Lieutenant
katsooba's Avatar
72
Rep
360
Posts

Drives: bmw 135i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Israel

iTrader: (0)

Hi bill, what hood struts do you use for the carbon hood?
i am sure they are not the stock 135i ones

Can you please share the part numbers? I am tired of holding mine with a broomstick
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 02:12 PM   #151
berns
Lieutenant
414
Rep
410
Posts

Drives: '07 E90 335i
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qxangelxp View Post
I just spent the last hour exploring this build thread. It was a rollercoaster of ups-and-downs, but I loved every moment of it.

I'm having mixed feelings about doing a 1M conversion to my 135i (paying a race shop to do it) or just doing fender flares, or buying a real 1m and selling my 135, or buying an M2c and selling my 135.

All in all, I want a wide boi, but I'm not sure just how I'm gonna do it.
When I consider that I paid around 14k for my 135i, I feel better knowing I could have paid 45-50k for a similar mileage 1M. I'll just spend 10-15k on doing the conversion (appropriate number?) and some on suspension work and still be ahead of a 1M buyer.

Anyway, not to hijack your thread, this build is amazing, and I love your detailed photos + descriptions. I feel like we're all on this adventure with you, and it definitely gives me great insight into auto-body and fab, somthing I know nothing about!

Keep up the great build, and can't wait to see it continue on.
Could always sell yours and buy mine
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 04:19 AM   #152
qxangelxp
New Member
3
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: A Pontiac, A Kawasaki, A BMW
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by berns View Post
Could always sell yours and buy mine
nah. I decided it would be more fun to build it up myself.
I always enjoyed having something else to do to my vehicles. Hope it never ends and ownership never goes stale.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 08:49 AM   #153
ShocknAwe
1Addict
ShocknAwe's Avatar
United_States
2675
Rep
7,267
Posts

Drives: E82 Mutt
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Charleston

iTrader: (22)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qxangelxp View Post
nah. I decided it would be more fun to build it up myself.
I always enjoyed having something else to do to my vehicles. Hope it never ends and ownership never goes stale.
It won't. Had one hell of a ownership and modifying journey so far with mine over the last decade or so. I'm sure yours will be just as enjoyable.
__________________
2010 135i 6MT Jet Black
N54/3 Converted ///Mutt | BUILD THREAD | GARAGE SALE
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
billdacat8

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST