BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-25-2020, 07:10 PM   #1
yokomo963
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Help! Engine misfiring - half check engine light

Hey everyone,

My car (2008 135i, 68,319 miles) has been on MHD stage 1+ for about a month now and has been running fine without any issues. Today, I picked up the car from the shop where they installed some solid rear subframe and diff bushings.

I decided I was going to change my map settings back to stock coolant target (so the oil temp would get high enough to open up the thermostat after I installed the ER dual oil cooler kit).

Went for a drive and it was fine, until about 30 minutes in, the car started to misfire pretty bad. Managed to limp it home.

Since I never changed the plugs out when I initially did the flash (no running issues), I threw 6 new OEM Bosch plugs. Still misfiring and MHD was saying 1,3,6 cylinders were missing. Found that odd so I reversed the order of the coilpacks and now it’s reading 1.2.3.4.5.6 were all misfiring. Changed the coils back to the original order and it still saying 1-6 cyl misfiring.

I’ve also tried updating to MHD’s newest app version and tried flashing to stage 0(stock map) and it still misfires. Flashed back to the original v9 I had installed and same thing.

Before I go spend money on 6 new coil packs... anyone have any other suggestions? Or is it just time and all 6 coil packs went haywire at the same time? From what I could tell the spark plugs were original on the car (they say BMW BOSCH on them).

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

-Eric

Last edited by yokomo963; 05-25-2020 at 07:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 09:18 PM   #2
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i E88

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Best thing to do is check your plug gap 1st. then get new coils since they are not that expensive if you get some delphi from someplace like rock auto. Especially if your still on stock.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 08:24 AM   #3
yokomo963
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro135 View Post
Best thing to do is check your plug gap 1st. then get new coils since they are not that expensive if you get some delphi from someplace like rock auto. Especially if your still on stock.
I put new oem bosch plugs in but they're not gappable. I was reading that the OEM plugs are perfectly fine for any OTS pump fuel/stock turbo maps.
I ordered 6 new Delphi coils from FCP euro last night so hopefully that's the culprit. The original spark plugs didn't look terrible when I pulled them either.

I just find it odd that so many of the cylinders are missing all of a sudden. would all the coils start to go at once? The only other thing that happened yesterday is that I filled the gas tank up at a different gas station than I normally go to.

-Eric
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 09:40 AM   #4
yokomo963
Private First Class
Rep

So, update from this morning. I went outside after leaving the car all night, cleared the codes on the DME and started up the car. It fired right up without misfiring... and after a minute, the car started to misfire again. DME is showing Cyl 2,3,5,6 are all misfiring.

Granted I already ordered new Delphi coils from FCP last night. But since it was fine on a cold start, I'm leaning towards coil packs (i'm worried its injectors or HPFP, all plugs were dry tho when I pulled them originally). Most coil packs I've had go bad on motorcycles, they start acting up once the coils build heat inside and would be fine once the motor cooled back off completely.

I guess I'm just wondering for sure for troubleshooting sake in the future. I'm pretty new to the N54 platform
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 12:02 PM   #5
yokomo963
Private First Class
Rep

I just went and tried to get some logs and checked the codes again. The car still runs like crap but now the misfire codes are gone

Using MHD to pull the DME codes. Could these codes be acting up because the misfire is shaking up the car? Or actually one of these might be the culprit?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 04:45 PM   #6
c0bra
Commander ;)
United_States
Rep
Drives: E88 N54

Hi Eric,

First post, long time lurker...

I also read the OEM plugs should be good for pump gas, even MHD stage 2+. I put in Bosch plugs and Delphi coils as soon as I got my E88, and I've been running stage 1 and 1+ for over a year now. I plan to go stage 2 with the OEM stuff.

Sorry I can't help you with the codes. Hope those coils will solve your problems!
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2020, 06:17 PM   #7
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
You should take out your vanos and clean them. For me when I did that I temporarily stopped the camshaft timing code. Then it came back and I bought new. Never returned. How is your fuel psi on your logs?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 08:30 PM   #8
yokomo963
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You should take out your vanos and clean them. For me when I did that I temporarily stopped the camshaft timing code. Then it came back and I bought new. Never returned. How is your fuel psi on your logs?
So... installed the new Delphi coils today, and at first, no change in how the car reacted. I then flashed the car back to stock map (no MHD at all), still ran like crap. Cleared the codes twice and all of a sudden the car started idling fine again, no limp mode. Took it for a drive and all was normal. Hit stock boost levels during 2nd and 3rd gear pull through the rev range... put about 25 miles on tonight and no issues... No more misfire or VANOS codes... I was about to order two new vanos solenoids (I probably still will for preventative maintenance, pretty cheap and easy)

I have not tried flashing to MHD stage 1+ again though.

I did do a log when driving around on stock tune after it started running good again. Could someone take a look and see if there's anything out of the norm before I try flashing MHD again? First time trying *********** upload so if that's not the best method, please let me know.

https://bmw.***********.com/graphs/l...-00-29-57.646/

Thanks,
Eric

Last edited by yokomo963; 05-27-2020 at 09:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 01:14 PM   #9
c0bra
Commander ;)
United_States
Rep
Drives: E88 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokomo963 View Post
First time trying *********** upload so if that's not the best method, please let me know.
Looks like that hosting site is blocked. It seems like everyone uses https://datazap.me/ which was created by an E90post member.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 01:44 PM   #10
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Maybe you should reset all adaptions in mhd except the battery then try to flash again. When I did that my car ran crazy for a second, then I turned it off and back on and it ran great.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 05:14 PM   #11
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
all of a sudden the car started idling fine again, no limp mode. Took it for a drive and all was normal.
FWIW, that is encouraging. There's still a chance of an equipment issue, i.e. a sensor somewhere acting up intermittently. But it looks like you have no major problems, save something related to tuning and codes. That's still a headache of course but at least you have a path to go down.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 06:50 PM   #12
yokomo963
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0bra View Post
Looks like that hosting site is blocked. It seems like everyone uses https://datazap.me/ which was created by an E90post member.
Dang, didn't realize spool street was blocked on here. I will have to try the datazap file. My mechanic requested i send him the log via datazap as well. Been raining like crazy down here so I haven't messed with the car at all today. It was E30 suspension install day

Quote:
Maybe you should reset all adaptions in mhd except the battery then try to flash again. When I did that my car ran crazy for a second, then I turned it off and back on and it ran great.
I definitely going to try that. I honestly had no idea what that feature was for until last night when a friend told me to try the same thing. I haven't done it yet, but I'm definately going to try resetting all the adaptions before flashing again. Going to run through this tank of gas on stock tune to make sure all is good before flashing again. Unfortunately car's going back to the shop on Monday cuz they forgot to hook up my ebrake when they dropped the subframe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
FWIW, that is encouraging. There's still a chance of an equipment issue, i.e. a sensor somewhere acting up intermittently. But it looks like you have no major problems, save something related to tuning and codes. That's still a headache of course but at least you have a path to go down.
Were you able to access the log? You can see where the low fuel pressure sensor just stopped reading halfway through. That is the only code I have now (not affecting how the car is driving though). But yes, i'm glad the car at least runs now.

I appreciate everyone that chimed in!!

-Eric
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 09:53 AM   #13
Mr Gasser
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i 09 M-Sport Black on Black

Yes I'm getting misfires so I think I'll get NKG and Eldor (Italian) coils..
Try getting a step Colder Bosch Plug that seems to work well with boosted engines, or...

If you want to take the plunge and get NKGs this tool takes the guesswork out of gapping: I've seen them on eBay for around 10 dollars...and get the feeler gauges too, somewhere around 0.22 and go less as you HP goes up...

https://burgertuning.com/products/bm...g_gapping_tool

12mm is the size sp
Metallic Black on Black 2009 135i, new waterpump, OFHGs, and VC gasket...RB turbo PCV valve (ooo), NGK performance plugs...V3Cobb access port stage 2+FMIC, Injen intake, Mishimoto clone FMIC, ARM charge pipe, ARM downpipes, Whiteline subframe bushings

Last edited by Mr Gasser; 07-14-2020 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 04:52 PM   #14
Afam28
User
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i M-sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0bra View Post
Dang, didn't realize spool street was blocked on here. I will have to try the datazap file. My mechanic requested i send him the log via datazap as well. Been raining like crazy down here so I haven't messed with the car at all today. It was E30 suspension install day

Quote:
I definitely going to try that. I honestly had no idea what that feature was for until last night when a friend told me to try the same thing. I haven't done it yet, but I'm definately going to try resetting all the adaptions before flashing again. Going to run through this tank of gas on stock tune to make sure all is good before flashing again. Unfortunately car's going back to the shop on Monday cuz they forgot to hook up my ebrake when they dropped the subframe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Were you able to access the log? You can see where the low fuel pressure sensor just stopped reading halfway through. That is the only code I have now (not affecting how the car is driving though). But yes, i'm glad the car at least runs now.

I appreciate everyone that chimed in!!

-Eric
Sounds like something that happened to me after I went stage 2+.
Was doing logs and then got misfires in cylinder 5.
Shut the car off and turned it back on and misfire was magically gone.
Eldor coils and step 2 ngk's and my car runs great.
I think best bet would be to get eldors and ngk's, gap them to 0.20 and call it a day.
(If you are sure coil plug/spark plugs are your problem)
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 07:44 AM   #15
yokomo963
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks guys. This was solved with new oem bosch plugs, Delphi coils, and new vanos solenoids.
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2020, 10:11 AM   #16
Mr Gasser
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So did you put it back to MHD stage 1+?
Metallic Black on Black 2009 135i, new waterpump, OFHGs, and VC gasket...RB turbo PCV valve (ooo), NGK performance plugs...V3Cobb access port stage 2+FMIC, Injen intake, Mishimoto clone FMIC, ARM charge pipe, ARM downpipes, Whiteline subframe bushings
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 08:45 AM   #17
yokomo963
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gasser View Post
So did you put it back to MHD stage 1+?
Yes, I drove around stock for a tank of gas to make sure everything was back to normal. After that and not having anymore issues, I installed some Wagner Catless dp's shortly after and reflashed the car to MHD Stage 1+. One track day and one autox later, no issues still and running strong!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 01:16 PM   #18
Mr Gasser
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Good to hear, seems you can go to stage 2 with the DPs? YOu have an aftermarker FMIC?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 01:27 PM   #19
yokomo963
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gasser View Post
Good to hear, seems you can go to stage 2 with the DPs? YOu have an aftermarker FMIC?
Yea, I'm just keeping at stage 1+ to keep the least amount of stress on stock motor/turbos. I have cfs aluminum radiator, intercooler, ER dual oil coolers installed already. I'm good with the power available now, that's the only reason why I haven't done the MHD 2+ tune
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 03:51 PM   #20
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Unfortunately I think you'll have the intake cam code come back and car will run intermittently rough until you do cam ledges. Seems to happen around 60-80k on the original ledges

Went down this exact path at about 85k miles IIRC and solenoids and ignition parts fixed it for about a month. Both ledges ended up being worn out.

Other thing to check whenever you get random codes is the battery health, but I'd say it's unlikely with the set of codes you got

Hope it was just a bum solenoid!

Off topic: I strongly encourage you to return to a stock sized radiator. The CSF rad has been shown to overcool the coolant system which is understandably bad.
      08-28-2020, 07:38 AM   #21
yokomo963
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Unfortunately I think you'll have the intake cam code come back and car will run intermittently rough until you do cam ledges. Seems to happen around 60-80k on the original ledges

Went down this exact path at about 85k miles IIRC and solenoids and ignition parts fixed it for about a month. Both ledges ended up being worn out.

Other thing to check whenever you get random codes is the battery health, but I'd say it's unlikely with the set of codes you got

Hope it was just a bum solenoid!

Off topic: I strongly encourage you to return to a stock sized radiator. The CSF rad has been shown to overcool the coolant system which is understandably bad.
I've ran the car at 3 track events and 1 autox since the fix and it hasn't given me any issues so far. Fingers crossed its not cam ledges!

Also... I've never seen that on the CSF rad... What does overcooling the cooling system do? I didn't know that was possible haha. This car is used 95% for track/autox and doesn't really see many street miles.

-Eric
Appreciate 0