BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-03-2017, 01:15 PM   #1
vinylengraver
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Dinan Stage 2 price drop

Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet, but I have been periodically checking the Dinan website curious about a possible Stage2 price drop... and it is now listed at $752.63 (as opposed to the previous price of $1003). Not sure if this is a limited time sale, but looks like a good deal to me.

I am somewhat tempted to put this on top of/replace my PPK with... but I promised myself to keep the car 100% genuine BMW and I am debating if the claimed gains over the PPK are worth it. The car is perfect right now... and that overrun/lift-off burble - will it still be there?
Also, up here in Canada after the exchange this is still a pretty expensive option.
But anyway, just an FYI.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 02:16 PM   #2
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I got mine on sale earlier in the year. To me it has the same driving characteristics as the stock tune, just with more power. The 100 extra torque is what makes the tune totally worth it. You also get 55-60 hp, but that torque shoves you back even harder. The pops and burbles are a little more aggressive. I almost always drive with the sport button on and the transmission in sport mode.
Appreciate 2
Dackelone10527.50
lab_rat394.50
      10-03-2017, 08:11 PM   #3
SLC801
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LSB Z4MC

I think I might have to hop on it this time. I have a 135is as well and wondered about characteristics on top of what I have in the PPK.

Last edited by SLC801; 10-04-2017 at 08:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 12:13 PM   #4
hunterl41
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC801 View Post
I think I might have to hop on it this time. I have a 135is as well and wondered about characteristics on top of what I have in the PPL.
The PPK and the 135is tune is basically like the N54 135i Dinan Stage 1 tune. That's why there isn't a "stage 1 option" for the N55s or the 1M
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 09:23 PM   #5
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
I think I might have to hop on it this time. I have a 135is as well and wondered about characteristics on top of what I have in the PPK.
I had PPK installed in 2011 and then later added the Dinan S2 tune. There is a decent bump in horsepower, but what is much more noticeable is the increase in torque. Also, the power is very smooth. Feels like BMW power, just more of it.

I still have all my pops, crackles, and burbles (enhanced by the BMW PE) in engine overrun, which I did not want to lose.
      10-06-2017, 11:59 AM   #6
SamelCamel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135is

If I wanted to get the Dinan S2 tune purchased and installed, how would I go about this? Is this just software I can code myself or do I need to take it somewhere?

I'm in the Nashville area.

-Sam
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 12:30 PM   #7
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamelCamel View Post
If I wanted to get the Dinan S2 tune purchased and installed, how would I go about this? Is this just software I can code myself or do I need to take it somewhere?

-Sam
You need to go to a Dinan authorized indy shop or Dinan authorized BMW dealer. They're the only ones who can install the Dinan Stage 2 software. You're better off going to an indy shop because they will charge you less to install the software. The price of the software will be the same no matter where you go.

Check here to find the closest Dinan authorized indy shop/BMW dealer to you.
      10-06-2017, 09:54 PM   #8
SLC801
Private First Class
Rep

Pretty sure there is an option to have them send you the flasher and you can do it yourself now.
Appreciate 1
Esteban43330.00
      10-06-2017, 10:06 PM   #9
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Pretty sure there is an option to have them send you the flasher and you can do it yourself now.
Yes, there is and if I were starting from scratch, I would opt for this option. I just like not being dependent on a shop to do reflashes even though the indie I had mine done at won't charge me to redo the flash.
Appreciate 1
Esteban43330.00
      10-06-2017, 10:06 PM   #10
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Quote:

-Sam
You need to go to a Dinan authorized indy shop or Dinan authorized BMW dealer. They're the only ones who can install the Dinan Stage 2 software. You're better off going to an indy shop because they will charge you less to install the software. The price of the software will be the same no matter where you go.

Check here to find the closest Dinan authorized indy shop/BMW dealer to you.
Actually Dinan has an at home flash version now. Check it out on their site.

Personally I'd probably still get it done at an Indy shop but it's there as an option.
      10-07-2017, 12:00 AM   #11
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

You guys are right about the at home flash... forgot all about that.

https://www.dinancars.com/product/d9...ries&mid=1139/
Attached Images

10-07-2017, 12:31 AM   #12
SamelCamel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135is

Fingers crossed guys... I just ordered the Dinan S2 kit! I'm going to flash it myself at home.

Wish me luck!

-Sam
Appreciate 4
AustinE19.50
zx10guy5149.50
BAN_M2C4178.00
      10-07-2017, 02:44 AM   #13
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Fingers crossed guys... I just ordered the Dinan S2 kit! I'm going to flash it myself at home.

Wish me luck!

-Sam
Good luck and let us know how it goes. So far, no one has done it here yet, or at least they haven't talked about it on the forum that I'm aware of. But who knows, could be something else I just forgot about in my old age. lol
      10-07-2017, 06:47 AM   #14
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Good luck and let us know how it goes. So far, no one has done it here yet, or at least they haven't talked about it on the forum that I'm aware of. But who knows, could be something else I just forgot about in my old age. lol
I mentioned it on another thread about the DIY kit for the S2. I'll mention it again here. The DIY kit is only for those that haven't purchased any tune from Dinan. If you already have a tune, you cannot get just the flash kit by itself. You'll have to purchase the entire thing again tune and flash kit which doesn't make any economical sense. Of interest is the rep I spoke to at Dinan mentioned briefly that once you have the DIY kit, it would be possible to do the S3 tune yourself. But I think they're still working out the details on that.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2017, 06:58 AM   #15
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I mentioned it on another thread about the DIY kit for the S2. I'll mention it again here. The DIY kit is only for those that haven't purchased any tune from Dinan. If you already have a tune, you cannot get just the flash kit by itself. You'll have to purchase the entire thing again tune and flash kit which doesn't make any economical sense. Of interest is the rep I spoke to at Dinan mentioned briefly that once you have the DIY kit, it would be possible to do the S3 tune yourself. But I think they're still working out the details on that.
Interesting...

I spoke to a forum member who said he installed the S3 software on his car without the recommended/required hardware (upgraded oil cooler and intercooler) and said his car pulled hard as hell in 6th gear and there were no adverse affects.

I believe this member had access to installing the software on his own without the need for a shop's help. I have a call in to my indy shop to see if they can do this for me as well. Somehow I doubt it, but we'll see.
      10-07-2017, 08:31 AM   #16
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
At present any upgrades from an existing stage would still need to be done at an authorized dealer. Would not be able to upgrade with the DIY kit. No billing element to the at home flashing software to accomplish it. At some point the goal would be to implement that but there is no definitive end date in mind. The goal of the retail DIY kits in their current form is to test the viability of the system and to work out any major kinks in it before it was potentially expanded.

Quote:
Interesting...

I spoke to a forum member who said he installed the S3 software on his car without the recommended/required hardware (upgraded oil cooler and intercooler) and said his car pulled hard as hell in 6th gear and there were no adverse affects.

I believe this member had access to installing the software on his own without the need for a shop's help. I have a call in to my indy shop to see if they can do this for me as well. Somehow I doubt it, but we'll see.

DIY kits are limited to stage 1 (or stage 2 if thats the starting stage) so whatever they did was not via the DIY kits.

In regards to S3 and the upgraded oil cooler/intercooler. The car will physically run without those modifications it just wont be able to pushed too hard before it is in limp mode is all. Puts undo stress on the rest of the engine since the cooling system is not up to the task without those additional components. At this point all of those cars are out of warranty though so if people want to push them without supporting hardware that is their prerogative.
Appreciate 2
zx10guy5149.50
BAN_M2C4178.00
      10-07-2017, 08:44 AM   #17
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I was told exactly the same thing from a Dinan rep over the phone. I really don’t want to stress my car so decided to stop at Stage 2. I’d like Stage 3 but the bang isn’t worth the buck for me. If the cost were along the lines of just the oil cooler or intercooler, I’d probably do it. But $3k seems a little high for another 15hp and about the same amount of torque.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2017, 09:41 AM   #18
SLC801
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Wish me luck!

-Sam
Please share results and as much detail as you can. I’m about to order myself but would love to know the process from a forum member before I pull the trigger.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2017, 12:44 PM   #19
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
In regards to S3 and the upgraded oil cooler/intercooler. The car will physically run without those modifications it just wont be able to pushed too hard before it is in limp mode is all. Puts undo stress on the rest of the engine since the cooling system is not up to the task without those additional components. At this point all of those cars are out of warranty though so if people want to push them without supporting hardware that is their prerogative.
It doesn't seem like S3 pushes the car that much harder than S2 does. Only an additional 18 hp and 7 lb-ft of torque. Small gains over S2. Hard to believe it would take the car to unsafe limits. Do not think it is worth the price of the additional hardware; Dinan High Capacity Oil Cooler - $1,441.00 and Dinan High Performance Intercooler - $1,235.00, totaling $2,676.00. That calculates to $148.67 per hp and $382.29 per lb-ft of torque, and that is not including the price of the tune itself. Granted, it doesn't have to be Dinan's upgraded oil cooler and intercooler, but it will still be expensive.
      10-08-2017, 02:29 AM   #20
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Wanted to add, zx10guy, yes I do remember a prior discussion about the DIY kit for S2. What I meant in the post you quoted above was that this is first time I've heard of anyone ordering the kit. Don't think anyone has ordered it before and posted about it here on 1ADDICTS.
      10-08-2017, 12:22 PM   #21
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
It doesn't seem like S3 pushes the car that much harder than S2 does. Only an additional 18 hp and 7 lb-ft of torque. Small gains over S2. Hard to believe it would take the car to unsafe limits. Do not think it is worth the price of the additional hardware; Dinan High Capacity Oil Cooler - $1,441.00 and Dinan High Performance Intercooler - $1,235.00, totaling $2,676.00. That calculates to $148.67 per hp and $382.29 per lb-ft of torque, and that is not including the price of the tune itself. Granted, it doesn't have to be Dinan's upgraded oil cooler and intercooler, but it will still be expensive.
I agree. The amount of gains coming from the S3 doesn't produce the best bang for the buck. I think what we're seeing here is the design envelope of the N55 engine without touching the engine itself. I can see two types of people opting for the S3: those that track their cars but don't want to get into heavy engine modifications and those chasing after a horsepower number who don't want to touch the engine.
Appreciate 1
Esteban43330.00
      10-08-2017, 07:23 PM   #22
SLC801
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I agree. The amount of gains coming from the S3 doesn't produce the best bang for the buck. I think what we're seeing here is the design envelope of the N55 engine without touching the engine itself. I can see two types of people opting for the S3: those that track their cars but don't want to get into heavy engine modifications and those chasing after a horsepower number who don't want to touch the engine.
When you say “heavy engine modifications” does that include an upgraded turbo? Because the engine itself can handle well over the S3 to my understanding.
Appreciate 0