BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-22-2009, 03:19 PM   #1
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

Valero gas... Bad? Good?

Shell and Chevron (can't get Chevron here) are good fuels for the most part.

How's Valero gas? Reason I ask is it's pretty close to work and it's consistently cheaper than most everyone in the city.

Anybody know how bad/good it is? I'd be getting the 91 oct stuff (highest I can get in CO)

I found this on Google in some blog, but don't know the truth of it:

"Valero is a refinery company and a distributor, so they can cut the middleman out entirely to absorb this profit or hand it over to consumers as they see fit. And above that fact, Valero has invested more in refinerys that don't need 'sweet' crude, which is oil with a low sulpher content and costs less to refine but is more expensive per barrel, which is like a hedge fund giving them more options to buy the cheaper oil.

The more expensive stations are usually open 24 hours, raising their overhead and causing them to charge more per gallon."

And also I've found a ton of other threads saying the quality is terrible and to avoid it.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 03:58 PM   #2
mhx
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Goat

Theres no hard proof online that states who has the best gas. No1 tests it or if they do its something thats been hidden away or paid off to remove. Too much money to be made/lost in the gas market to say one brand is better than another brand.

Shell and Chevron both add additives to the truck when its being filled. Techron, Shells Nitrogen all their engine cleaning special mixes they hype up.

My opinion its all the same gas.. Each brand may add some additives. The thing to worry most about is gas stations that have OLD gas or dirty tanks.

It sure would be nice for someone to test every gas station, put the results online and stick it to the people selling shitty gas. But the gas companies would sue you for slander or something or just pay you to remove your data.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 04:01 PM   #3
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

Valero is a great gas, and one of the largest refinery's around. Made money on them over the years with puts and calls. Good Long Term holder also. Most gas brands are fine, just do not fill up if the delivery trucks are filling up the tanks, or if it gets no business.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 04:13 PM   #4
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhx View Post
The thing to worry most about is gas stations that have OLD gas or dirty tanks.

The EPA has really cracked down on that sort of thing over the last 10 years, and it's why you see so many small stations that have been shut down. They couldn't afford to replace the tanks.

These days the biggest risk is probably of flood waters getting into the tanks through the fill holes, but that should be pretty rare. I don't think dirty tanks are nearly as much of a problem as they were a few years ago.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 07:59 PM   #5
Dr_Jones
Major
Rep
Drives:

you can usually get good barbacoa in there...i vote good

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 11:26 AM   #6
SV Concepts II
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Isn't Valero owned by BP?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 11:44 AM   #7
Shinyman
Rep
Drives: Looking for a 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal@Jlevi SW View Post
Nope
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2009, 02:48 PM   #8
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

Top Tier Detergent Gasoline

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is the premier standard for gasoline performance. Six of the world's top automakers, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi recognize that the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough to ensure optimal engine performance.

Since the minimum additive performance standards were first established by EPA in 1995, most gasoline marketers have actually reduced the concentration level of detergent additive in their gasoline by up to 50%. As a result, the ability of a vehicle to maintain stringent Tier 2 emission standards have been hampered, leading to engine deposits which can have a big impact on in-use emissions and driver satisfaction.

These automakers have raised the bar. TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline help drivers avoid lower quality gasoline which can leave deposits on critical engine parts, which reduces engine performance. That's something both drivers and automakers want to avoid.

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Retailers

Gasoline retailers must meet the high TOP TIER standards with all grades of gasoline to be approved by the automakers as providing TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.

In addition, all gasoline outlets carrying the brand of the approved retailer must meet the TOP TIER standards.

Additional gasoline retailers are added to the TOP TIER list as they meet the standards. The retailers known to be on the TOP TIER list are shown below.

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:
  • QuikTrip
  • Chevron
  • Texaco
  • MFA Oil Co.
  • Conoco
  • Phillips 66
  • Entec Stations
  • Shell
  • The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
  • Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
  • Aloha Petroleum
  • Tri-Par Oil Co.
  • Turkey Hill Minit Markets
  • Mileage Stations
  • Road Ranger
  • CountryMark
  • Chevron Canada
  • Shell Canada
  • Petro-Canada
  • Sunoco Canada

Hope this information is helpful for any of you who have questions in regards to which gas to fill up !!

- Alan
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2009, 08:18 PM   #9
FactoryFast
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i ///M Dinan S2;)

Ive been running Valero for years without issue. Ran it in my Stage IV VFE Volkswagen R32 (90k) , my 05 CTS-V (60K) and now my Dinan S2 135i. Im sure that in 10 years time or like 150K, using one of the top tier fuels better make a difference. But since I never plan to keep a car that long its not a concern of mine. I have yet to find a top tier on my commute that is reasonable to get at and I commute 114 miles a day through 3 states NY, NJ and CT on major highways...im probably just not looking hard enough and I cannot deny the low low price of NJ fuel...then again taking a look at that list theres probably only 2 of those companies that sell thier product in the Northeast, making top tier fuel difficult to aquire.
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2009, 12:34 PM   #10
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shodanusmc View Post
Valero is a great gas, and one of the largest refinery's around. Made money on them over the years with puts and calls. Good Long Term holder also.
Although I wish I had sold mine 2 years ago when it was around $60, I hope you are right. No doubt that the gas is fine, my BMW's thrive on it whenever I'm in New Jersey.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 05:02 PM   #11
BahamaBart
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal@Jlevi SW View Post
Valero is CHAVEZ gasoline
Exterior Bling| Kerscher splitter |
Interior Bling | Bimmian pedals | 3P Cars gauage |
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 06:42 PM   #12
Texas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 & E88

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaBart View Post
Valero is CHAVEZ gasoline
When did Chavez buy up all of the Valero stock???

You probably have CITGO confused with Valero. Valero is a Texas based company.

http://www.valero.com/OurBusiness/Pa...nyHistory.aspx

Company History
In 1980, Valero was a regional energy company with total assets just shy of $800 million, operations solely in Texas and less than 1,600 employees on its payroll. Today, Valero has annual revenues of $119 billion, and 16 refineries, seven ethanol plants and approximately 5,800 retail and branded wholesale locations across North America. Valero is the 10th
largest company on the Fortune 500 list, with about 22,000 employees.
      12-31-2009, 06:58 PM   #13
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

There is so much misinformation on this topic.

With the exception (possibly) of amoco ultimate gas, all gas sold in a local area comes from the same refinery... that means that your citgo may have come from the hess refinery, your shell came from the sunoco refinery, etc.

The difference is in the additives put into the fuel - but unfortunately there is very little QC. Some comes from the refinery to meet EPA specs. The only fuels that are semi-guaranteed quality-wise are the "top tier" fuels sold by some vendors.

I always utilize my own fuel additives to ensure cleanliness and upper cylinder lubricity.

Valero is just a refiner who tried to go for a grasp of some additional profit by distributing and selling their product. They are not a top-tier fuel, FWIW.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 07:30 PM   #14
BahamaBart
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas View Post
When did Chavez buy up all of the Valero stock???

You probably have CITGO confused with Valero. Valero is a Texas based company.

http://www.valero.com/OurBusiness/Pa...nyHistory.aspx

Company History
In 1980, Valero was a regional energy company with total assets just shy of $800 million, operations solely in Texas and less than 1,600 employees on its payroll. Today, Valero has annual revenues of $119 billion, and 16 refineries, seven ethanol plants and approximately 5,800 retail and branded wholesale locations across North America. Valero is the 10th
largest company on the Fortune 500 list, with about 22,000 employees.
All true but it was my understanding that Valero sources gas from Vzla.
Exterior Bling| Kerscher splitter |
Interior Bling | Bimmian pedals | 3P Cars gauage |
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2010, 10:23 AM   #15
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

The crude that goes to some refinery will be sourced from wherever it can be traded at the best rate. Lower sulfur fuels are benchmarked to a premium price related to the cost of HDS desulfurization and hydrogen costs to do the processing.

All this stuff is contracted, and crude from somewhere will go to the local refinery and be distributed throughout some area. If there are multiple refineries in an are, the local conglomerates of fuel stations may buy from one or another, and thus the source may not be from the same place.

Unfortunately there is more or less nothing you can really do to prevent buying crude from Venezuela. You can avoid buying from a company that has some sort of Venezuelan influence, if you do not like it.

Oil is a commodity product, it will be sourced from the lowest bidder that offers the lowest cost logistics to make it happen and bring product to market.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 09:30 PM   #16
Mini_is_Bmer
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper

Lightbulb Gas Grades

I found this to answer top tier Gas (sorry my format was altered) Each year there are others added to the list by meeting the standards.

I saw the comment about the Gas stations themselves and making sure they are clean and not to get gas while the tanks are being refilled, This is a HUGE things to consider, good job.

For those who may be unaware, Top Tier fuel is a fuel performance standard written by the world’s major automakers, including General Motors, Toyota, Volkswagen, Honda, FCA, and others. The standard is intended to maximize engine performance, improve fuel economy, and lower emissions by stipulating a higher level of fuel quality via stricter deposit control.

The automakers listed above felt as though the minimum deposit control requirements put forth by the EPA fell short of ensuring optimal engine performance. As such, in 2004, the Top Tier fuel economy standard was written for greater deposit control performance, thereby providing GM vehicle owners with assurance that the fuel they buy is of a high quality.

The Top Tier fuel designation is only given to fuels with a higher level of engine cleaning performance through the use of deposit control additives. Top Tier fuels cannot contain harmful metallic additives, and must be available across all octane levels of the associated fuel marketer’s stations.

Licensed Retail Brands Countries
76 USA
Aloha USA
Amoco USA
ARCO Mexico
ARCO USA
Beacon USA
BP USA
Break Time C Stores USA
Breakaway Canada
Breakaway USA
Cenex USA