BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-30-2011, 08:39 PM   #45
Rawhide
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix

I've been digging around into flashing lately, its so much more preferable over JB3's hard-wire rigging. I don't doubt the quality of ESS from anything I've read, but the Cobb unit also seems like a pretty strong contender, aside from some (understandable) initial roll out hiccups.

So I'm betting they're both quality products. So then the question of cost becomes much more relevant.

First off, I'm not trying to belittle or promote either unit. I am, however, considering dropping almost a grand here and I'd like to make an informed decision.

If I understood it correctly, the Cobb offers (or will offer) multiple stages for one price, but ESS charges $300 for additional tunes. The Cobb unit will have free updates and future stages available online, will the ESS offer something comparable? The Cobb unit can also be used to monitor various engine functions. Does the ESS?

Someone correct me if any of the above points are wrong or if I'm missing something. I'll gladly take a little flaming if it means I end up spending $1000 more wisely.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 07:03 AM   #46
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 2018 TTRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
I've been digging around into flashing lately, its so much more preferable over JB3's hard-wire rigging. I don't doubt the quality of ESS from anything I've read, but the Cobb unit also seems like a pretty strong contender, aside from some (understandable) initial roll out hiccups.

So I'm betting they're both quality products. So then the question of cost becomes much more relevant.

First off, I'm not trying to belittle or promote either unit. I am, however, considering dropping almost a grand here and I'd like to make an informed decision.

If I understood it correctly, the Cobb offers (or will offer) multiple stages for one price, but ESS charges $300 for additional tunes. The Cobb unit will have free updates and future stages available online, will the ESS offer something comparable? The Cobb unit can also be used to monitor various engine functions. Does the ESS?

Someone correct me if any of the above points are wrong or if I'm missing something. I'll gladly take a little flaming if it means I end up spending $1000 more wisely.
That is pretty much correct. I was in the same shoes as you debating between ESS and Cobb. I went with Cobb and I am very pleased.

With Cobb you have a one time fee for the Accessport which includes loaded maps. All future Maps and Support are free.

With ESS you have a one time fee for their hand held unit and 1 map. Anything else you have to pay for.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 11:15 AM   #47
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post

Our Direct Flash for the N54 comes with stage 1 and stage 2 software for $995. This also includes the option for catless downpipes if requested. The only additional cost would be for custom maps or dealer updates. Our dealer update option gives the customer instant access to the latest tuned version of his / her BMW software if the dealer happens to update the vehicle with a new version of software. With instant file updating there is no waiting or down time for software updates to become available. This provides the customer the piece of mind that they will always have a working product regardless the version of factory software that is installed in the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 12:23 PM   #48
135iNewb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
It is very naive to assume that valid comparisons can be made across different cars on different wheel driven dynamometers with different operators on different days with different fuel formulations and different ambient conditions with different tires, etc., etc. There are too many uncontrolled variables. One can only get a general indication (yes, performance may indeed be improved) but quantitative comparisons are just not valid of because of the inherent biases introduced by all the uncontrolled variables.
I understand that. Its also very naive to assume that I was looking for anything more than a "general indication" that there was a substantial power increase. ESS claims almost 100whp(stage2) with their measuring tool. I'd like to see what others measure.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 12:33 PM   #49
135iNewb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom3n View Post
Our Direct Flash for the N54 comes with stage 1 and stage 2 software for $995. This also includes the option for catless downpipes if requested. The only additional cost would be for custom maps or dealer updates. Our dealer update option gives the customer instant access to the latest tuned version of his / her BMW software if the dealer happens to update the vehicle with a new version of software. With instant file updating there is no waiting or down time for software updates to become available. This provides the customer the piece of mind that they will always have a working product regardless the version of factory software that is installed in the car.
If I purchase the tune/loader, I would prefer to have a soft copy of the tune stored on my laptop. In the event that the dealer does update my software, couldnt I simple overwrite it with my loader/tune? Why all the need for the "Dealer Update" option?

Maybe I dont fully understand how your tune/loader works.

Would you please clarify?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 12:42 PM   #50
135iNewb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
And if they tell you, what exactly will you know with any precision?

Just how each car rated on each different dynamometer with different operators, etc. worked on that day and place.

Nothing is absolutely comparable beyond direction of gains/losses among these individual events and that is my point.
I understand the variables. Just consider me a gambling man, and leave me about my business.

Good day Sir.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 07:27 PM   #51
Gunzaro
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Speed Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iNewb View Post
If I purchase the tune/loader, I would prefer to have a soft copy of the tune stored on my laptop. In the event that the dealer does update my software, couldnt I simple overwrite it with my loader/tune? Why all the need for the "Dealer Update" option?

Maybe I dont fully understand how your tune/loader works.

Would you please clarify?
This is a good question...can I load back the original OEM software - ie overwrite what the dealer updated???????
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 08:30 PM   #52
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunzaro View Post
This is a good question...can I load back the original OEM software - ie overwrite what the dealer updated???????
If your software is changed by the dealer to a new version you will need your Direct Flash files updated. The Direct Flash unit will store your current stock and tuned files but there is no way to install an older stock file over a newer stock version. You would need to read out the new file with the Direct Flash and have us build you a new tuned file around it. Then you will be able to once again have the most current stock and tuned file stored in your Direct Flash unit.

You can always ask the dealer not to do software updates on the car when it is in for service.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 08:47 PM   #53
GTM_Challenge
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
To be safe its always best if you clear any codes in the car after you load your stock software and before a trip to the dealer. BMW has many hidden tuner detection triggers in the N54 control system.

This is a before and after dyno of our N54 stage 2 software.

Dang! thats some serious gains. Cant wait to get this on the 1M Coupe
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 09:37 PM   #54
Rawhide
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
Thank you for the response.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 01:49 AM   #55
Gunzaro
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep

Thank you for the info Roman.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #56
135iNewb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Ignorance knows no bounds.

Difference between faith and knowledge.
Maxnix, I simply asked to see his dyno chart and you insult me with "naive" and "ignorant". You probably assumed I wanted to see his peak gains, and that I would think my car would make the same exact power elsewhere in the world. Not the case. If you go back to the first time you quoted me in this post, you will read, that I cared not about the peak gains. Instead I talked about averages and broad torque curves.

I understand what you're trying to tell me. Really, I do. The variables (dyno type/calibration/load/air temp/humidity/tire pressure/elevation/ect) will change the outcome. I got it bud. Its not that hard to grasp. That being said, dyno's are not totally useless either. If you dont realize that, then there's no reason you should be calling anyone "naive" or "ignorant".

Tell me how we stand to gain NOTHING from him posting his unbiased dyno chart. You cant.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 07:21 PM   #57
135iNewb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I didn't say nothing, just nothing absolutely comparable across different sessions and cars, and tires, and fuel, and operators etc. Just direction of gains or losses is the best one can affirm with confidence.

So now that we are on the same page, shall we move on? You do seem to have a firm grasp of the matter at hand, unlike so many others who think a published magazine time or a published dynamometer chart is the absolute unmalleable truth.
So you admit there is usable info on a dyno chart, great. So it would make sense if someone (like me) would want to see it.

So you can stop assuming, I will tell you why I want to see his chart.
Here are few reasons:

How does the tune affect the torque curve?
Does the tune create more power sooner? (time based chart)
How long does the added torque hang around, compared to stock?

These are some things his dyno chart will tell me about his tune.

Now admit that you incorrectly assumed that I was looking for "absolute comparables", and then we can move on. Or just stop bumping it.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 11:12 PM   #58
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
This is sounding alot more like a bitchfest than an on topic thread about the flash...

I think ill stay over in the COBB thread for now
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 01:23 AM   #59
Gunzaro
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep

Allow me to say this: for ALL N54 owners OUTSIDE the USA who want a handheld flash tune the ESS Directflash is THE TUNE TO GET!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 10:08 AM   #60
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

Quote:
Allow me to say this: for ALL N54 owners OUTSIDE the USA who want a handheld flash tune the ESS Directflash is THE TUNE TO GET!
Glad you like it
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #61
Gunzaro
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep

Roman: I have to ask one question...if I want to go back to stock do I just connect the directflash device to the car and select the stock map under 'writing' to overwrite the stage2 map?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 04:22 PM   #62
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

Quote:
Roman: I have to ask one question...if I want to go back to stock do I just connect the directflash device to the car and select the stock map under 'writing' to overwrite the stage2 map?
Yes
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 01:04 AM   #63
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Did the tune actually raise your RPM redline limit to over 7000RPM as per their website info?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 04:54 PM   #64
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

I got faith in ESS that they wouldnt do it for no reason especially if it were harmful to the engine. According to their dyno the power at 7000rpm is the same as at 5000rpm for stage 2. Stock the power at the std redline is not so good as it has a more dramatic drop-off...unlike the M3

GIAC and Dinan also raise the RPM limit.

EDIT: the redline raising is not applicable for DCT transmissions as I was informed by ESS - excellent service by them in answering by questions btw.

Last edited by Alext; 02-12-2011 at 06:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 06:28 PM   #65
dmw16
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 ///M3

This may seem like a stupid question, but I am under the impression that the Cobb unit needs to be plugged in all the time when the software is in use.

I assume with the ESS DirectFlash it only needs to be plugged in when "installing" a given flash?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #66
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw16 View Post
This may seem like a stupid question, but I am under the impression that the Cobb unit needs to be plugged in all the time when the software is in use.

I assume with the ESS DirectFlash it only needs to be plugged in when "installing" a given flash?
The Direct Flash unit is only plugged into the OBD port to read / write and switch between maps, it does not stay plugged in.
Appreciate 0