BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-04-2018, 05:03 PM   #1
Slats
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M & 1997 M3

window gremlin

The driver side window on my 1M is acting up. Sometimes it will go down by itself when I get in and shut the door. Sometimes it will stay all the way up when I open the door (instead of dropping down a smidge and then closing the gap after the door is shut). Other times it will not go up all the way when I activate the switch and makes me keep pulling up on the switch to get it all the way up.

Any advice? If not, I'll settler for pity?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 01:50 PM   #2
dandandan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i N55 DCT

The window motors are notorious for failure. Magnetic contacts inside the motor wear down and cause all sorts of crazy problems. Mine would bounce back open half way when hitting the one touch auto up. Had the problem for almost two years then had BMW replace the window motor and that fixed the problem.
Appreciate 1
ayao354.00

01-09-2018, 07:06 PM   #3
M3 Adjuster
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandandan View Post
The window motors are notorious for failure. Magnetic contacts inside the motor wear down and cause all sorts of crazy problems. Mine would bounce back open half way when hitting the one touch auto up. Had the problem for almost two years then had BMW replace the window motor and that fixed the problem.

mine bounces on occasion with the one touch feature... Same situation.. auto up it will stop and roll back down after getting halfway up.

I wasn't sure if It was operator error or a switch error. it definitely doesnt happen every time...
Past: 1991 BMW E30 M3 street car ; 1988 BMW E30 M3 track car -
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 08:51 PM   #4
Slats
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

nuts

I had both the window motor and regulator replaced today. The window is still not right. Frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 04:36 PM   #5
10"
Captain
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

You can reset them. Often it fixes the problem.

Sit in the car and press the start button (don't turn engine on, just power the electrical)

Roll the windows down and keep the switch down for at least 5 seconds.

Roll them back up.

Should be fixed. Repeat for passenger side. I had gremlins a few years ago and never had it again after the reset.
FIRSTM101.50

09-14-2018, 09:22 PM   #6
etr2016
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M - Black

What about a new window switch? I had a similar problem in an older BMW where they replaced everything and eventually found it was the switch.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 05:26 PM   #7
Slats
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Mystery solved. Today I got an obtuse notice of a warranty extension from BMW concerning the Footwell Module. There was no indication in the notice of what that part, what it does or how one would know it needs replacement. When I Googled the term, along with 1M, I learned that the module can be at the root of many electrical problems, including window switch failures. Now they tell me, after I have incurred time, money and angst over my window gremlin. The problem is, of course, not limited to 1Ms. BMW obviously has known about the funky nature of this part for some time.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 06:14 PM   #8
Tornado1M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats View Post
Mystery solved. Today I got an obtuse notice of a warranty extension from BMW concerning the Footwell Module. There was no indication in the notice of what that part, what it does or how one would know it needs replacement. When I Googled the term, along with 1M, I learned that the module can be at the root of many electrical problems, including window switch failures. Now they tell me, after I have incurred time, money and angst over my window gremlin. The problem is, of course, not limited to 1Ms. BMW obviously has known about the funky nature of this part for some time.
So, are you having this service done? I guess it's not a recall but just a warranty extension.

Let us know if your planning on taking it into the dealership for that and if it solved your issue?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 02:44 PM   #9
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats View Post
Is it possible to post the notice for our info? Thx.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 03:01 PM   #10
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
Is it possible to post the notice for our info? Thx.
Take a look here -
https://www.e90post.com/forums/attac...7&d=1485957308
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M201.00

11-27-2018, 11:59 AM   #11
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
You can reset them. Often it fixes the problem.

Sit in the car and press the start button (don't turn engine on, just power the electrical)

Roll the windows down and keep the switch down for at least 5 seconds.

Roll them back up.

Should be fixed. Repeat for passenger side. I had gremlins a few years ago and never had it again after the reset.
mine does do it once in a blue moon, auto goes down when I try to bring it up.

will try reset with your suggestion, thank you
Appreciate 0