BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read




 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-01-2018, 12:16 PM   #1
dkat
Private
56
Rep
51
Posts

Drives: 2000 BMW Z8 & 2011 1M
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

BMW Dealers - rant

I have recently had 2 horrible dealer experiences that I would like to share with the forum. (different dealers for each service)

1st dealer experience - I needed the airbag recall performed. I decided it was a good time to change the fluids coolant, brake, power steering, rear diff.
When I picked up the car the oil warning lamp came on. I had changed to oil less than 500 miles before! & checked the level before I brought it in and was almost at the full line I had reset the trip odometer to see how many miles would be put on the car after I picked it up. Whoever thrashed my car reset it to 0 once again. From now on, I will always take a picture of the odometer reading if I ever dare to go back to a dealer. Service adviser seemed mortified and went to the parts dept. & handed me 2 quarts of oil gratis. I vowed, never again to this dealer.

2nd dealer experience - Received 20% off service coupon via email. Since I had an ABS failure, It was a good opportunity to have it done on black Friday since I was off from work. Also decided it was a good time to change the battery.
Called on Monday for Friday appointment. Told them I wanted an AGM battery since original was lead acid. Friday afternoon adviser calls and says the battery is not stock and needs to be ordered. I said, I told you Monday I needed the battery, I would have paid for it in advance if that was needed to order it. Is part #61-21-2-353-811 AGM? I don't trust these guys at all. He told me not to worry, as all M cars are stored indoors until picked up by owner. Today, 8 DAYS LATER I picked up my car. Completely filthy & bird droppings. When I saw the bill I flipped out. They charged me $185.00 (less 20%) for a diagnostic 2 TIMES! one for each error code! Also charged me $216.00 for pulse sensor 34-52-6-870-077 When onlinebmw shop.com says LIST price is $150.47. So, even after the discount, paid more than list for a part?? Advisor knocked some more $$ off invoice. I still feel that is was screwed. So discouraged/disappointed in dealer experience. I think it is time to find a reputable independent shop.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 01:20 PM   #2
Tornado1M
Second Lieutenant
Tornado1M's Avatar
United_States
201
Rep
297
Posts

Drives: 1M, X5
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

That's horrible

Where are you located and what dealerships are you referring too?

Maybe someone here on the forum can suggest a better dealership or private shop.

Not all Bmw dealerships are good unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 03:16 PM   #3
10"
Captain
10"'s Avatar
1248
Rep
805
Posts

Drives: orange BMW 1M.
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Brooklyn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkat View Post
I have recently had 2 horrible dealer experiences that I would like to share with the forum. (different dealers for each service)

1st dealer experience - I needed the airbag recall performed. I decided it was a good time to change the fluids coolant, brake, power steering, rear diff.
When I picked up the car the oil warning lamp came on. I had changed to oil less than 500 miles before! & checked the level before I brought it in and was almost at the full line I had reset the trip odometer to see how many miles would be put on the car after I picked it up. Whoever thrashed my car reset it to 0 once again. From now on, I will always take a picture of the odometer reading if I ever dare to go back to a dealer. Service adviser seemed mortified and went to the parts dept. & handed me 2 quarts of oil gratis. I vowed, never again to this dealer.

2nd dealer experience - Received 20% off service coupon via email. Since I had an ABS failure, It was a good opportunity to have it done on black Friday since I was off from work. Also decided it was a good time to change the battery.
Called on Monday for Friday appointment. Told them I wanted an AGM battery since original was lead acid. Friday afternoon adviser calls and says the battery is not stock and needs to be ordered. I said, I told you Monday I needed the battery, I would have paid for it in advance if that was needed to order it. Is part #61-21-2-353-811 AGM? I don't trust these guys at all. He told me not to worry, as all M cars are stored indoors until picked up by owner. Today, 8 DAYS LATER I picked up my car. Completely filthy & bird droppings. When I saw the bill I flipped out. They charged me $185.00 (less 20%) for a diagnostic 2 TIMES! one for each error code! Also charged me $216.00 for pulse sensor 34-52-6-870-077 When onlinebmw shop.com says LIST price is $150.47. So, even after the discount, paid more than list for a part?? Advisor knocked some more $$ off invoice. I still feel that is was screwed. So discouraged/disappointed in dealer experience. I think it is time to find a reputable independent shop.
please tell me you didn't go to a dealership in brooklyn or manhattan.

it's a total NO NO.

message me with where you live....
__________________
don't read this. too late...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 04:30 PM   #4
dkat
Private
56
Rep
51
Posts

Drives: 2000 BMW Z8 & 2011 1M
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
please tell me you didn't go to a dealership in brooklyn or manhattan.

it's a total NO NO.

message me with where you live....
PM Sent
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 04:38 PM   #5
dkat
Private
56
Rep
51
Posts

Drives: 2000 BMW Z8 & 2011 1M
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado1M View Post
That's horrible

Where are you located and what dealerships are you referring too?

Maybe someone here on the forum can suggest a better dealership or private shop.

Not all Bmw dealerships are good unfortunately.
Both dealers are on Long Island. Decided I am done with dealer service for any of my BMW's. Also, I could have had the car washed by the dealer, I only hand wash the car, so I passed. They must have test drove 20 miles in the rain yesterday.
Spent the entire afternoon washing/detailing.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 08:04 PM   #6
stormchaser7
Private
stormchaser7's Avatar
145
Rep
82
Posts

Drives: BMW 1M
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Sorry to hear that. I just had my power steering pump replaced under extended warranty through my local dealership in Seattle. They did a great job.
__________________
Follow your dream car!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 08:14 PM   #7
Costello1991
Private First Class
Costello1991's Avatar
United_States
124
Rep
129
Posts

Drives: 2013 Alpine White 135is
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

never deal with bmw unless its for warranty stuff. always better off with an outsider bmw shop. always.
__________________
DCT N55 135is | MHD STAGE 2 ACN 91 | AR Downpipe | Chargepipe | Muffler Delete | Carbon Fiber Exhaust Tips | Carbon Fiber Trunk Spoiler | OEM 313s | Spacers : 15mm F - 12mm R |
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 11:27 PM   #8
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
FIRSTM's Avatar
United_States
102
Rep
324
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: FLORIDA

iTrader: (0)

be caution when taking your vehicle in for any work after warranty expired, this is how dealer makes most of their money, especially for specialty car like 1M, there I said it...its not just owner thinking how special their cars are, the guys at the dealer thinks so to and would take it out for a quick ride if you leave it behind.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 02:51 AM   #9
champignon
Disrupter
champignon's Avatar
United_States
1264
Rep
2,303
Posts

Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 18 MG M2
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Idaho

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRSTM View Post
be caution when taking your vehicle in for any work after warranty expired, this is how dealer makes most of their money, especially for specialty car like 1M, there I said it...its not just owner thinking how special their cars are, the guys at the dealer thinks so to and would take it out for a quick ride if you leave it behind.
There are crooks everywhere, in every line of business.

My BMW dealer, who services my 4 BMWs, has always treated me fairly and with respect. If anything, they have undercharged me on a number of occasions.

It's easy to take a broad brush and trash an entire class of businesses with generalizations that are not true. My experiences with my own dealer, in Boise Idaho, could not be further from what you have posted.
__________________
Disappointing People for Two Centuries; MT Rules
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 08:30 PM   #10
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
FIRSTM's Avatar
United_States
102
Rep
324
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: FLORIDA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
There are crooks everywhere, in every line of business.

My BMW dealer, who services my 4 BMWs, has always treated me fairly and with respect. If anything, they have undercharged me on a number of occasions.

It's easy to take a broad brush and trash an entire class of businesses with generalizations that are not true. My experiences with my own dealer, in Boise Idaho, could not be further from what you have posted.
I don't believe all is bad, there are those that are, from my exp, more bad than good. That's just from me and people that are close to me that experience bad service. Not sure if you were here in the beginning when the 1M first came out, but there's drama there also.

I am happy for you to have a good dealer in Boise, Idaho, by the way, that's where I live when I first came to the US, my brother still lives there. He loves hunting there, we usually go fishing in Snake river for big catfish.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 01:44 PM   #11
Tornado1M
Second Lieutenant
Tornado1M's Avatar
United_States
201
Rep
297
Posts

Drives: 1M, X5
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

They are certainly not all bad....however, there are some that are very questionable. I've had very average dealings with some to the point where it's not always the best place to go for the $$$......certainly, if you are out of warranty!

Now, in my area we have a couple good ones and a couple questionable ones....end of the day, go where your comfortable and ask around and talk with people for recommendations!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 03:10 PM   #12
dkat
Private
56
Rep
51
Posts

Drives: 2000 BMW Z8 & 2011 1M
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Small measure of revenge. 0 rating on dealer satisfaction survey emailed today.
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M201.00

      12-10-2018, 11:24 PM   #13
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
FIRSTM's Avatar
United_States
102
Rep
324
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: FLORIDA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkat View Post
Small measure of revenge. 0 rating on dealer satisfaction survey emailed today.
that's something I never do, unless something really bad happens. If I don't like the service, I go somewhere else, and my families and friends also, and people I know.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 08:29 AM   #14
dkat
Private
56
Rep
51
Posts

Drives: 2000 BMW Z8 & 2011 1M
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRSTM View Post
that's something I never do, unless something really bad happens. If I don't like the service, I go somewhere else, and my families and friends also, and people I know.
I don't agree. it is a management tool used to determine if whomever is doing a good job and meets the standards of the customer. If no one ever responded, poor service self-perpetuates and adjustments that should be made are not done. Customer satisfaction in this day in age is critical. There are a multitude on apps such as Yelp and others that are a portal to both satisfied and dissatisfied customers. I always fill out customer satisfaction surveys whether it is good or bad. Management needs to know how their performance, quality, should improve if needed.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST