Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by toni8284 View Post
2014 cayman s or 2012-2013 911 Carrera S
Planet 9 is probably the best Cayman Forum.
http://www.planet-9.com/981-chat/

Maybe Rennlist for the 991.
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/991-221/
      04-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #90
Robcut1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4GTS

http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and...di_rs3_bmw_1_m

If you need rear seats and 30mpg
Not a limited edition though.
I myself will look at the CLA45 version (in the US we will not even get the A45)
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #91
toni8284
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
2016 M3  [0.00]
If Porsche give your 1M fully loaded with VO with 8500 miles, $60,000 for trade in value, will you take it?
2014 F10 M5 LCI (SOLD)
2011 VO 1M (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #92
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
If Porsche give your 1M fully loaded with VO with 8500 miles, $60,000 for trade in value, will you take it?
If I would be a US citizen/resident and be someone without a chance to keep the 1M "forever" in addition to other cars (due to job or financial situation or constantly changing likes&dislikes type of personality disorder etc.) yes of course I would take that offer NOW without blinking. Because you never know what future brings and what it will worth next year.

In my case, no I wouldn't, since my 1M worths more than that here in Chile (70 to 80K depending on car), and moreover, I also have a chance to sell it in two other countries (after completing some paper work and tax payment) where used 1Ms with low mileage (mine is even lower than yours) worth between 100K to 150K USD. So, 60K doesn't cut it for me in any scenario.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 04-17-2013 at 04:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #93
Robcut1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4GTS

I have the same car and would probably take the $60K since I put a bunch of money into it (carbon diffuser, interior, full body protection, etc.) and really would like to get some or all of it back out if possible

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #94
toni8284
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
2016 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcut1 View Post
I have the same car and would probably take the $60K since I put a bunch of money into it (carbon diffuser, interior, full body protection, etc.) and really would like to get some or all of it back out if possible
That's what I am thinking...

My car is pretty much stock. I can still remove the Angle Eye and Black Grill and the charge pipe and bring them back to stock.

and I only have to pay $10k more for the new Cayman S. (the Cayman S $70K with MSRP $74K),

I am trying to get more options with MSRP around $79K and down to $73K - $74K.

If they willing to do it, I think it's a good deal.
2014 F10 M5 LCI (SOLD)
2011 VO 1M (SOLD)

Last edited by toni8284; 04-17-2013 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #95
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
That's what I am thinking...

My car is pretty much stock. I can still remove the Angle Eye and Black Grill and the charge pipe and bring them back to stock.

and I only have to pay $10k more for the new Cayman S. (the Cayman S $70K with MSRP $74K),

I am trying to get more options with MSRP around $79K and down to $73K - $74K.

If they willing to do it, I think it's a good deal.
If ultimate power and straightline acceleration don't need to match the 1M, and if you may be as happy with a slightly slower but equally impressive chassis and rest, consider the base Cayman. If you find one it worths a test drive since every review from European car magazines rate it equal and some even prefer the base car. They say in real world conditions it is just a delight to prolong (and enjoy more) the work out of the engine and gear box before you hit illegal territory since the chassis is equally capable plus it is considerably cheaper, essentially same standard equipment level, looks virtually identical inside and outside; and you don't even need certain upgrades like adaptive suspension since the chassis and rear tires are way more capable than engine, you can safely abuse that engine every time every where. About the engine they say it has a more furious sound with or without sport exhaust and a wider torque band. The base car comes with 18 inch wheels which should ride even better plus they look much better than 19 inch S wheels, in fact they look like our 1M wheels!

So, why not save 10K or more (don't know US pricing) and add nothing on top of a used 1M? You could always use the extra cash to personalize the base Cayman since the option list includes hard to resist items
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 12:01 PM   #96
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupoblu78 View Post
A friend of mine is in the 4C product development at Alfa and has a track day in a couple of weeks .. he is a Lamborghini academy driving instructor so he knows what to look for will let you know what his impressions are
Any chance that your friend had that track day test already?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #97
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
No, because neither the roof nor the trunks of the Cayman S have ISOFIX connection points for a child seat for my daughter.
      05-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #98
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

E60 M5

Hi guys, didn't want to start a new thread for this: I've noticed a used E60 M5, it is September 2009 built, 2010 model, actually the very last one imported to Chile according to dealer. BMW dealer bought the car from its first owner who just dropped the car after original warranty expired for a newer toy (typical). The car is (of course) SMG equipped, European spec, don't know if it has the launch control (it should) or is limited to 250 km/h top speed or not. It has no accidents, no mods, only minor stuff on the wheels, dealer sprayed front and rear bumper because of parking related minor issues and it looks good. It has 42,000 km. (around 26,000 miles). All maintenance done at the dealer, including last one at 40K, just 2K before. Tires look like they are replaced with new PS2 of stock size at some point, maybe 10 or 15K km. before, at least half way to go, but if I buy it I change to PSS immediately and sell the ones on the car.

It is space gray with black Merino interior and alu look trims. It has M multifunction seats, individual Hi-Fi and a bunch of other expected options fitted. It has the screen and i-drive but no navigation capability (Chilean market) and no HUD.

Now, the best part of this car: the dealer offers a one year unlimited mileage factory warranty (identical conditions to original but limited to a single year) and price is less than what I can get for my 1M, in fact hopefully asking price of this M5 sits at around 70 % of what I expect to get from my 1M.

Saw the car yesterday, couldn't find a fault other than being a smoker's car (can be fixed by a good detailer) and will take it for a test drive in a few days.

NOW: I am NOT comparing it to a 1M, who knows this thread already knows my dilemma; it just looks like a great buy for me and can be a good way of passing time before I settle down and buy a real substitute for the 1M. I am leaning towards a later model (maybe a GTA or roadster version of) Alfa 4C around 2014/2015.

If I get this one I can get rid of second family car too since it also worths very good for now and me and my wife can drive the M5 regularly, because I don't even need a car for work since my residence is 15-20 minutes walking distance from job. So, more walking to me which I need and want! and more funds going to investment instead of garage and indirect expenses of having two cars would be cut by half too. The dealer said everyone is looking for a good used 1M and they have none, I said the guy I will sell it myself

The trick is 2 years more and this M5 will probably worth equal or more than a 1M, it already worths more in most other markets that I checked. So, now may be the right time to switch.

Anyone who owned or still owns one of these? What are the opinions, am I getting dillusional or can it be a good catch? I am also thinking what better way than enjoying the glorious S85 for a year or so, at the time of turbo cars, at least for a difference

Last edited by ozinaldo; 05-07-2013 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #99
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
I've noticed a used E60 M5
70 liter is way too small for such a thirsty engine (the E34 M5 had a bigger fuel tank). Get back home with the M5 from the fuel station in the near vicinity, and you'll notice that the fuel tank needle already moved left of the max fuel stripe. Limited range is one of the very few weaknesses of that excellent car. Was too much of a hassle for BMW to redesign the fuel tank for the E60 M5. Partially resolved with the F10 M5: 80 liter fuel tank and less fuel consumption. But, all in all, still not as bad as the Ford GT: Jeremy Clarkson experienced for Top Gear 4mpg with that one (range: 75 miles per fuel tank [17.5 gallons or 66 liter]).

Nimble car versus a (fast/powerful) gas guzzler boat + difference in running costs in terms of fuel, insurance etc. If I were you, I would keep the 1M until the best new thing arrived into town (M2). The 1M won't take a resale hit as much as the E60 M5.
      05-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #100
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
70 liter is way too small for such a thirsty engine (the E34 M5 had a bigger fuel tank). Get back home with the M5 from the fuel station in the near vicinity, and you'll notice that the fuel tank needle already moved left of the max fuel stripe. Limited range is one of the very few weaknesses of that excellent car. Was too much of a hassle for BMW to redesign the fuel tank for the E60 M5. Partially resolved with the F10 M5: 80 liter fuel tank and less fuel consumption. But, all in all, still not as bad as the Ford GT: Jeremy Clarkson experienced for Top Gear 4mpg with that one (range: 75 miles per fuel tank [17.5 gallons or 66 liter]).

Nimble car versus a (fast/powerful) gas guzzler boat + difference in running costs in terms of fuel, insurance etc. If I were you, I would keep the 1M until the best new thing arrived into town (M2). The 1M won't take a resale hit as much as the E60 M5.
But I am not the one who is taking the resale hit, the first owner had it and had it for good obviously. I am the one who may be benefiting from that. You think it will continue depreciating at a faster rate?

Anyway, I am thinking about it only for a year or so, but you are right that it seems like 1M still is the more popular used M car vs. anything else in terms of holding its value. There is also the risk of keeping the M5 after this extra 1 year only warranty expires due to notorious reliability issues concerning very expensive parts (SMG etc.).
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #101
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
But I am not the one who is taking the resale hit, the first owner had it and had it for good obviously. I am the one who may be benefiting from that. You think it will continue depreciating at a faster rate?

Anyway, I am thinking about it only for a year or so, but you are right that it seems like 1M still is the more popular used M car vs. anything else in terms of holding its value. There is also the risk of keeping the M5 after this extra 1 year only warranty expires due to notorious reliability issues concerning very expensive parts (SMG etc.).
My brother has a max loaded E60 M5. He got it when it was released (2005) and is not planning to sell it. He knows someone who offered his own E60 M5 as a trade-in. The dealership offered ...€12K ($15.7K). The dealership allegedly told him that these cars are pretty hard to resell. I guess the guy tried his luck at another dealership, because it sounded like an extreme poor trade-in offer. No info re mileage and status of that car, but it was not damaged.
      05-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #102
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
My brother has a max loaded E60 M5. He got it when it was released (2005) and is not planning to sell it. He knows someone who offered his own E60 M5 as a trade-in. The dealership offered ...€12K ($15.7K). The dealership allegedly told him that these cars are pretty hard to resell. I guess the guy tried his luck at another dealership, because it sounded like an extreme poor trade-in offer. No info re mileage and status of that car, but it was not damaged.
If there is nothing wrong with that car, that must be one of the worst resale values...ever?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #103
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Any updates ozinaldo?
      05-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #104
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Don't do it OZ!!!!!!!

Yes, I have piece of mind now that I no longer have a car payment but there is nothing out there as cool as the 1M! I regret letting it go! Don't do it, seriously!

You know humans have built civilization based on aggregate knowledge. In other words, we learn from our past so we don't start from scratch. Nothing would ever get done if we didn't learn from each other. Learn from me OZ. There is nothing as cool. Even if you got more money, the other cars are not as cool! Yes, some have attributes that are a better like better throttle response, fit and finish, styling etc, but there is nothing as cool as the 1M......save yourself!!!!!!!!!

: )

Nacho
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #105
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

nachob, I appreciate what you say!

I've decided not to check anymore "good catches" like that Porsche Cayman S Sport Edition or the 2010 M5, didn't even go to test drive with the M5. Decided to enjoy the car as long as I can but of course the moment that I receive instructions to leave Chile for another country I will need to reactivate this process. Which means either I will sell it here or if the next country has seemingly a better second hand market than I will take it with me. Legally, I can sell it here in October when the car completes 2 years of age without any problems; that will be the sweet spot to sell it in the Chilean market.

All this planning just taught me that I really love this car, to the point that I feel guilty and depressed of getting ready to sell it, it's like planning a next marriage while you are very happy with your actual wife, not cool!...especially for me because it is my second marriage already!

Speaking of the marriage, my wife told while we were at a dinner with friends a few nights ago that despite the fact that I ask her to drive my car all the time, she refuses to do so because she said "you love that car so much I am afraid what if anything happens while I drive it". Again, not cool!

I think it's time to go for a short holiday with all family in 1M and purify the feelings and re-connect with the joy that it can generate. If destiny allows me to keep it really long time (don't know how but...) that will be better than anything else...even better than a Alfa 4C...with revised headlights...and a 300hp engine....and in orange with matching interior trim

Last edited by ozinaldo; 05-17-2013 at 12:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #106
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Decided to enjoy the car as long as I can [...]
I think it's time to go for a short holiday with all family in 1M and purify the feelings and re-connect with the joy that it can generate. [...]

Name:  WayToGo.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  28.1 KB
      05-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #107
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
... Decided to enjoy the car as long as I can ...

I think it's time to go for a short holiday with all family in 1M and purify the feelings and re-connect with the joy that it can generate. If destiny allows me to keep it really long time (don't know how but...) that will be better than anything else...even better than a Alfa 4C...with revised headlights...and a 300hp engine....and in orange with matching interior trim
Good choice!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #108
1M SUSI
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 //1M Alpine White

No.... Never sell it!!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #109
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

My wife sold her AW 1M, she now drives this.

In manual of course, she loves it. Me, I am happy keeping Vader, this kick arse black beast!

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #110
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
Once you get those camber plates on you will find a lot of reasons to reconnect. I am noticing quite improved turn-in feel -- BIG stupid smile on my face all day long ...
Appreciate 0