BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-22-2022, 10:29 AM   #1
LaurentZo
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2008, Golf R 2018

Haunted VANOS N54

Hello everyone,

For the past 2 years, I've been trying to fix my 2008 135i for track duty and I have a persistent issue that won't go away. While the car works great as a daily, on the track after a few sessions, the car will inevitably end up with limp mode (code 3100) with an error code 2A82 VANOS Intake- Stiff; jammed mechanical

An interesting point to mention is that it always takes a while until the error happens at the track. Sessions are 20 minutes, and on the first session I'm not pushing too much. Typically, I can get the VANOS error around the middle of session #3, sometimes even session #4 during a track day. Once it happens, it may even occur twice in a session, and for the rest of the day.

My mechanic started by following BMW's guides on this issue and over the past 2 years, we've exhausted all options that was indicated.

This is what we've done so far:
  • When I bought the car we did a lot of prep work: replaced spark plugs, oil change, walnut blasted.
  • Replace both VANOS solenoids
  • Remplace both VANOS solenoids again
  • Replace CAM LEDGE bearings since they were worn
  • Replace the OIL CAP as a tech bulletin mentions it can sometimes cause VANOS issues.
  • Rebuild turbos as they were gone
  • With the engine out, I used the opportunity to also install a new charge pipe and intercooler.
  • Uninstall MHD completely. I was running the "stock - stage 0" tune until we can find the problem, but it was thought MHD could interfere, so I uninstalled it.

After consulting with a BMW tech, whom validated that we have indeed followed all regular diagnostics paths, he mentioned that next up was the elephant in the room: the VANOS units themselves. Since the return spring is in the unit, and "jammed mechanical" is the indication of the code, we felt it made sense that a new one could fix the problem.

So I bit the bullet and:
  • Replaced both VANOS adjustment units (i.e 11367540347 and the other one)

The mechanic saw some fuel pressure he didn't like in the graphs, so he installed his "shop HPFP" for me to try. It promptly broke as I got numerous misfires. My original HPFP is back in. It's worth mentioning that I re-installed MHD to test, and I get misfires using a stage 1 tune. I'm assuming my own HPFP is on its way out and I'll need a new one.

So here we are, winter 2022, trying to figure out what I'm doing with this for the next track session this summer. I keep thinking I should assume my loss and sell it, and move on. But at the same time, I keep also thinking (or dreaming) that I'm so close to finding the issue!

I'd like to ask any experts or experienced N54 enthusiast to chime in your opinion about this whole saga. I also assembled a few more ideas about where the problem could be:
  • Incorrect oil, or oil too thin?
  • Damaged DME? It's located in the engine bay, and may be overheating? Or damaged by the original DME tune?
  • Actual ghosts in the engine? I need an exorcist perhaps?
  • I tried (and eventually succeeded) in coding out the adaptative headlights so that it would stop complaining. Maybe I broke something in the process? Incorrect flash?

Of course selling it is still an option. I just can't seem to find the courage to do that and start over with another car.

Hope this story was at least entertaining!
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 06:56 PM   #2
Afam28
User
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentZo View Post
Hello everyone,

For the past 2 years, I've been trying to fix my 2008 135i for track duty and I have a persistent issue that won't go away. While the car works great as a daily, on the track after a few sessions, the car will inevitably end up with limp mode (code 3100) with an error code 2A82 VANOS Intake- Stiff; jammed mechanical

An interesting point to mention is that it always takes a while until the error happens at the track. Sessions are 20 minutes, and on the first session I'm not pushing too much. Typically, I can get the VANOS error around the middle of session #3, sometimes even session #4 during a track day. Once it happens, it may even occur twice in a session, and for the rest of the day.

My mechanic started by following BMW's guides on this issue and over the past 2 years, we've exhausted all options that was indicated.

This is what we've done so far:
  • When I bought the car we did a lot of prep work: replaced spark plugs, oil change, walnut blasted.
  • Replace both VANOS solenoids
  • Remplace both VANOS solenoids again
  • Replace CAM LEDGE bearings since they were worn
  • Replace the OIL CAP as a tech bulletin mentions it can sometimes cause VANOS issues.
  • Rebuild turbos as they were gone
  • With the engine out, I used the opportunity to also install a new charge pipe and intercooler.
  • Uninstall MHD completely. I was running the "stock - stage 0" tune until we can find the problem, but it was thought MHD could interfere, so I uninstalled it.

After consulting with a BMW tech, whom validated that we have indeed followed all regular diagnostics paths, he mentioned that next up was the elephant in the room: the VANOS units themselves. Since the return spring is in the unit, and "jammed mechanical" is the indication of the code, we felt it made sense that a new one could fix the problem.

So I bit the bullet and:
  • Replaced both VANOS adjustment units (i.e 11367540347 and the other one)

The mechanic saw some fuel pressure he didn't like in the graphs, so he installed his "shop HPFP" for me to try. It promptly broke as I got numerous misfires. My original HPFP is back in. It's worth mentioning that I re-installed MHD to test, and I get misfires using a stage 1 tune. I'm assuming my own HPFP is on its way out and I'll need a new one.

So here we are, winter 2022, trying to figure out what I'm doing with this for the next track session this summer. I keep thinking I should assume my loss and sell it, and move on. But at the same time, I keep also thinking (or dreaming) that I'm so close to finding the issue!

I'd like to ask any experts or experienced N54 enthusiast to chime in your opinion about this whole saga. I also assembled a few more ideas about where the problem could be:
  • Incorrect oil, or oil too thin?
  • Damaged DME? It's located in the engine bay, and may be overheating? Or damaged by the original DME tune?
  • Actual ghosts in the engine? I need an exorcist perhaps?
  • I tried (and eventually succeeded) in coding out the adaptative headlights so that it would stop complaining. Maybe I broke something in the process? Incorrect flash?

Of course selling it is still an option. I just can't seem to find the courage to do that and start over with another car.

Hope this story was at least entertaining!
Cheers
I know that code all too well…
I changed both intake and exhaust camshaft position sensors…
No more code…

Changed my boost/vanos solenoids a week later as preventative maintenance.

The position sensors could be your issue if you haven't looked into it…
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 07:47 AM   #3
LaurentZo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afam28 View Post
I know that code all too well…
I changed both intake and exhaust camshaft position sensors…
No more code…

Changed my boost/vanos solenoids a week later as preventative maintenance.

The position sensors could be your issue if you haven't looked into it…
Interesting suggestion. This is the 2nd time I read someone referring to the cam positioning sensors as the potential source.

It's worth mentioning that I occasionally see a "Shadow Code" in MHD referring to something similar. 2FDA Crankshaft sensor, signal: missing but I've often read that it would not be related to the VANOS issue at all. I might want to change all of them just to be sure.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 08:17 AM   #4
LaurentZo
Rep

Last summer I have collected as much data sa I could over this issue using the MHD data logger, hopefully this can help.

All logs specifically have VANOS request/actual intake/exhaust, oil temp, and the rest of the usual stuff. In order to "mark" the logs when the issue occurred, I repeatedly pushed the accelerator a few times, so you can see something like this:
Name:  image (2).png
Views: 1043
Size:  31.5 KB

When you see that, it means I just realized I'm in limp mode and left a "note" in the logs. I think it took me from 5 to 10 seconds to realize that I'm not getting enough power, look at the dashboard, and then press the accelerator.

On a hot July track day, where I was also paying attention to oil temp.
All sessions links to their respective DataZap page with the full logs from MHD.

8 am - session 1 logs: Warming up, no problem. Max oil temp 212 F.
9 am - session 2 logs: Warming up, no problem. Max oil temp 276 F.
10 am - session 3 logs: Pushing the car, no problem. Max oil temp 282 F.
11 am - session 4 logs: Pushing the car, limp mode after 5 minutes, restart the car, go back for 5 more minutes. Max oil temp 280 F before the limp mode, 284 F after.
Lunch break
1 pm - session 5 logs: Not really pushing the car much, limp mode after 4 minutes, restart the car, go back for 2 minutes, limp mode again, exit. Max oil temp 280 F before limp mode, after 275 F.
2 pm - session 6 logs: Pushing the car, no problem. Max oil temp 287 F
3 pm - session 7 logs: Pushing as hard as I possibly can, no problem. Max oil temp 285 F.
The two hottest oil temps reached on that day were the two last sessions, and I did not have any issue.

I took a look at session #4 logs, where I put my marker after realizing limp mode is active.
Name:  image (3).png
Views: 1072
Size:  182.5 KB

The rest of the session Actual and Request are following each other pretty closely. But at this moment, 5 seconds before I see the limp mode light, it seems weird.

Typically, it looks much smoother, like this:
Name:  image (4).png
Views: 1095
Size:  160.3 KB
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 08:44 AM   #5
alindquist
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 135I

I have been chasing the 2A87 code exactly like you, and it only appeared during track, mostly in the end of sessions (hot oil).
I assume that you replaced the cam ledge to, or just the seal?

I changed camledges and teflon seals, vanos filters, solenoids and senors.

Camledges and seals Brand BMW
Filters Brand BMW
Solenoids Pierburg (OEM)
Senors VDO (OEM)

Two important things, when you change a part just go OEM, it's expensive but it works and always reset adaptions in inpa.

I did all this and installed a secondary oil cooler, now I have two 25 rows coolers and run 10w40 oil and never over 230 F. And now finally it works *KNOCK ON WOOD*.
I think this fault many times is caused by way to hot oil, I don't know your setup. But try, I feel you
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2022, 06:13 PM   #6
gordon513
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i 2010 & E92 M3 2010

I am chasing the exact same issue (although I am yet to do the cam bearing ledges) - see thread here - https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...highlight=2a82

Mine seems to only happen when the oil gets up to temp - I see someone has suggested in your thread to change the Cam position sensor which I will likely try first - I have never had a cam position code though and given it only seems to happen when hot, in my head it implies that its likely the cam ledges.

Hope you get somewhere with the issue - would be very interested if and how you get it resolved.

Cheers!
F22 M235i 2015 (Auto)
E87 118D 2007 (Manual)
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 02:51 PM   #7
Tyc0
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon513 View Post
I am chasing the exact same issue (although I am yet to do the cam bearing ledges) - see thread here - https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1899685&highlight=2a82

Mine seems to only happen when the oil gets up to temp - I see someone has suggested in your thread to change the Cam position sensor which I will likely try first - I have never had a cam position code though and given it only seems to happen when hot, in my head it implies that its likely the cam ledges.

Hope you get somewhere with the issue - would be very interested if and how you get it resolved.

Cheers!
Your problem seems a lot like cam ledges. The fact that it only happens when oil is warm tells a lot. The problem is worse when the oil is warm and thinner, making it easier to lose vanos oil pressure causing limp. Change those ledges !
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 01:44 AM   #8
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Hey OP did you solve your issue? I have similar issue but I think it's cam bearing ledge. Reading that you replaced them and even the VANOS cam phasers/gears and you still get the code worries me.
Appreciate 0