BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-16-2008, 01:18 AM   #1
atomic837
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4, 2009 135i, 2016 M2

Interior quality

I've been a lurker to the site for a few weeks now, and I just recently put down my deposit for an '09 build 135i (through the MSP program). Unfortunately I have a bit of an excruciating wait until my return home from this deployment, so I'll have to live vicariously through the other members on the forum.

Anyway, my question lies with the interior quality; namely, the fit and finish, craftsmanship, material quality, etc. I've seen so many contradictory opinions that I'm completely confused as to what constitutes a "high quality" interior. Some magazines talk about high quality materials that, "fell right out of the Munich parts bin" - elsewhere I see people chiming in with how "cheap and plasticy" the dash is. Where exactly does the 1-series fit within these range of opinions? What makes interiors "quality", and how do "soft touch" plastics really differ from your run of the mill Ford or Chevy materials?

From the pics that I've seen, the majority of the 1-series appears to be comprised of the same type of textured plastic that all cars seem to have - am I mistaken here, or is there more to it than that? Can we get a definitive answer with perhaps some points of comparison to illustrate where the interior quality really stands next to the competition?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 02:08 AM   #2
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Those are really good questions. I'm afraid I don't really have good answers to the specific ones, but in general, I'd say it feels on the right side of cheap, but not by much. Nothing feels cheap about it, but if they'd cut more corners, it would. Functional, acceptable quality, not a lot of extra luxury.

Now, to my mind, that's fine in a sports car. I'm not looking for 7-series luxury.

Textured plastic, you're right. The same kind that's in most cars. An absence of fake pretend-leather stitches, though, which I appreciate. People who don't want a plastic dashboard probably need to spend three time the money and buy a Porsche with an all-leather interior.

There is wide difference of opinion on the trim. I specifically wanted glacier aluminum, and I had to order a M-sport package to get it. Others think glacier aluminum looks like ugly fish scale. But then, I think that the wood trim is naff in a sports car.

The feel of the controls is solid. The lights and turn indicators click in a satisfying way. The i-drive knob is metal, which I find satisfying to touch. The steering wheel feels great.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 02:21 AM   #3
driftdriven
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

My opinion in comparison to Ford and Chevy, this interior is by far superior in quality and feel. I do think the interior is boring and updated but cheap would not be the word to explain it. It is just decent quality for the lowest series in the BMW line.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 02:43 AM   #4
yourfriend
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 128i

i find the interior quality to be more than satisfactory. while it certainly is not a plush interior like the one on the 7 series, it's an extremely well put together, functional, clean cut interior that is very comfortable to sit in and feels wonderful. all the controls feel great and everything has a very solid feel to it. it doesn't feel cheap at all.

i also like that the stereo face is turned towards the driver to allow more comfortable access while driving, which i only noticed the other day when i sat in the passenger seat for a few minutes. it's a very driver-centric car.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 09:02 AM   #5
stampchez
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Well it's not an Audi but it's better than pretty much any other car in the price range.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 10:47 AM   #6
mikead_99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 SMG 135i

I pretty much agree with the others here. The quality is good, not premium luxery, but better than a lot of cars. Like some of the others have said, I don't think it needs to get much more plush in this type of car so I'm happy with it.
      08-16-2008, 11:59 AM   #7
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Truth is in ref to interior plastics such as the dashboard, it's a step down from all other BMWs. Switches and such are the same quality no matter the series. There's a lot less leather too than the 3 series for example. Interior is not the strong point of the 1er, that's for sure...
      08-16-2008, 12:10 PM   #8
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post
Truth is in ref to interior plastics such as the dashboard, it's a step down from all other BMWs. Switches and such are the same quality no matter the series. There's a lot less leather too than the 3 series for example. Interior is not the strong point of the 1er, that's for sure...
I disagree completely.

The interior is on par with all the other BMW's I have owned, and I have owned many. The interior plastics are no different than the 3 series, and less leather than a 3er? Where? I have it on my steering wheel, doors, seats, shifter, ebrake, etc? I'm not sure where the 3 has more leather?

The interior is almost a mirror of my Wife's previous 2004 X3 (including the pop-up Navi).
      08-16-2008, 12:42 PM   #9
yourfriend
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampchez View Post
Well it's not an Audi but it's better than pretty much any other car in the price range.

i like the interior of my 1 more than i like the interior of my sister's audi. the seats are much more comfortable and the whole thing is more simple. it seems to take a much more business approach, and i REALLY like that. it's just so functional.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 03:15 PM   #10
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
I disagree completely.

The interior is on par with all the other BMW's I have owned, and I have owned many. The interior plastics are no different than the 3 series, and less leather than a 3er? Where? I have it on my steering wheel, doors, seats, shifter, ebrake, etc? I'm not sure where the 3 has more leather?

The interior is almost a mirror of my Wife's previous 2004 X3 (including the pop-up Navi).
Well, I respect your opinion, but....

There's a gigantic quality difference in the entire dash vs. all others, perhaps less the X3 which I pay very little attention to. The dashes in most current BMWs have a nice soft spongy feel (I guess some sort of well-formed closed cell foam?) where the 1er is just a big piece of cheap hard plastic, like my '05 MINI S was. I'd rate the dash material a 4 on a scale to 10, and that's being nice. Even the back of the instrument hood makes it seem an afterthought due to such an abrupt transition to the rest of the dash. WTF? I also dislike the curved/tappered trim piece in the dash, and lack of a continuation piece left of the steering wheel. Not sure why they even bothered, unless they were leaving "entry level" clues for the uninitiated? The dash would have looked better with no trim at all to match the trimless doors. Ultimately, I like the E46 dash best for quality materials and design than both the 1er and latest 3er.

Check out the interior of a 3er coupe and see how the side leather flows from front to rear, along with door trim (something the 1er doesn't have). Very nice.
      08-16-2008, 03:45 PM   #11
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

Quote:
Well, I respect your opinion, but....

There's a gigantic quality difference in the entire dash vs. all others, perhaps less the X3 which I pay very little attention to. The dashes in most current BMWs have a nice soft spongy feel (I guess some sort of well-formed closed cell foam?) where the 1er is just a big piece of cheap hard plastic, like my '05 MINI S was. I'd rate the dash material a 4 on a scale to 10, and that's being nice. Even the back of the instrument hood makes it seem an afterthought due to such an abrupt transition to the rest of the dash. WTF? I also dislike the curved/tappered trim piece in the dash, and lack of a continuation piece left of the steering wheel. Not sure why they even bothered, unless they were leaving "entry level" clues for the uninitiated? The dash would have looked better with no trim at all to match the trimless doors. Ultimately, I like the E46 dash best for quality materials and design than both the 1er and latest 3er.

Check out the interior of a 3er coupe and see how the side leather flows from front to rear, along with door trim (something the 1er doesn't have). Very nice.
I've owned 6 bmw's, and we had a couple 7's at work as leases and an e39 m5

The m5 was my favorite interior, but the 1's are my second favorite, if only we could get alcantara headliners

I disagree with your opinion, the 1's interior is part of what sold me on the car over a 335i, I prefer it over the other current generation bmw's

the 1's just seem to fit better, more driver oriented, my only complaint is the lack of a air mixer control on the center vent, makes it nice for my wife who insists on no heat, and me because I like my feet warm. Continuing the trim on past the steering wheel would be nice, but I would have to see it, maybe someone can photoshop that change
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 04:08 PM   #12
topvega
Kinda sorta banned on N54
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 SGM JB3

I feel the 1's interior is in perfect balance with what the car is.. a sports car..
I don't want overly fancy... I like it the way it is.. like yourfriend said it is kind of a business approach... it's driver friendly and it's not over the top at all...
I do wish the M shift knob was as plump as the steering wheel.. it is on the thin side.. My old G35 had a pretty nice shifter... that and the G's exhaust note is all I miss...

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 03:09 AM   #13
professor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

i had a 1 hatchback before and the 1 coupe's interior is a huge step up in terms of quality of materials. i agree with balls in that the m3's interior has a slightly more upmarket feel. but, then again, if we cared about truly superior interior quality we would buy audi not bmw....
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 03:34 AM   #14
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega View Post
I disagree with your opinion, the 1's interior is part of what sold me on the car over a 335i, I prefer it over the other current generation bmw's
About the only thing I can say positive about the 1er interior is the compactness if that's what one is looking for, and perhaps the fact BMW went back to tradition and slightly angled the center console towards the driver. Aside from that, the materials and design are a step down to the 3er and beyond in every detail. Perhaps some equate the non-luxorious interior to an enhanced sporty image. Nonetheless, the interior doesn't make the car perform any better or any worse, just like the 3er. But the 3er is much nicer place to sit. Ultimately it seems the owner loyalty to the 1er keeps most from realizing the reality of the 1er's shortcomings. Love is blind. The 135i is my 6th BMW (5th this decade), and my yet-to-be delivered Z4 M Coupe is #7. Other than my 1976 2002, the 135i is the BMW of all mine with the lowest grade interior materials and worst ergonomics. Both Audis I owned this decade were far superior to all my BMWs inconsideration to interiors. The 135i interior is for sure a step up than my '05 MINI S, but that's not saying much. Next time you're in your 1er, rap your knuckles on the upper dash board, and on top of the instrument hood. Do the same to a 3er and behold the difference. Compare the rear seats of both too while you're at it. Not only are the rear seats much nicer in the 3er coupe, you get climate control too.
      08-17-2008, 04:48 AM   #15
Bizall
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Honda Accord Touring 2.0

Quote:
About the only thing I can say positive about the 1er interior is the compactness if that's what one is looking for, and perhaps the fact BMW went back to tradition and slightly angled the center console towards the driver. Aside from that, the materials and design are a step down to the 3er and beyond in every detail. Perhaps some equate the non-luxorious interior to an enhanced sporty image. Nonetheless, the interior doesn't make the car perform any better or any worse, just like the 3er. But the 3er is much nicer place to sit. Ultimately it seems the owner loyalty to the 1er keeps most from realizing the reality of the 1er's shortcomings. Love is blind. The 135i is my 6th BMW (5th this decade), and my yet-to-be delivered Z4 M Coupe is #7. Other than my 1976 2002, the 135i is the BMW of all mine with the lowest grade interior materials and worst ergonomics. Both Audis I owned this decade were far superior to all my BMWs inconsideration to interiors. The 135i interior is for sure a step up than my '05 MINI S, but that's not saying much. Next time you're in your 1er, rap your knuckles on the upper dash board, and on top of the instrument hood. Do the same to a 3er and behold the difference. Compare the rear seats of both too while you're at it. Not only are the rear seats much nicer in the 3er coupe, you get climate control too.

So, then why did you chose the 1er over the 3er then? I just got a loner 530xi. The 135i seemed SO much more superior in every aspect to the quality and layout. In a way, when I climbed back in to my "plush" seats, it just felt way better. I personally could care less about climate control for the rear passangers as I'm sure that wasn't the point of the 1er.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 08:07 AM   #16
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I disagree completely.

FYI...the first generation X3 was bashed by reviews and owners for a cheap interior when it came out. I know since I researched them extensively before settling on an X5.

I think the 1 series interior is better than the early X3 series by a wide margin.

My wife drives an audi ...the interior and leather is better than anything thing BMW offers in terms of a 1 or 3 series. But an interior is only part of the package.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 08:33 AM   #17
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizall View Post
So, then why did you chose the 1er over the 3er then? I just got a loner 530xi. The 135i seemed SO much more superior in every aspect to the quality and layout. In a way, when I climbed back in to my "plush" seats, it just felt way better. I personally could care less about climate control for the rear passangers as I'm sure that wasn't the point of the 1er.
You're getting off topic with the "point of the 1er." Topic is interior quality, so why not speak of the rear climate control? Quality can be features as well as materials, design, and craftsmanship. BTW, I had a 07 530i and its interior materials, design, and quality is levels above the 1er and 3er, as it should be. Guess it's stupid to expect more from a 1 series enthusiast board. All I was attempting to do was to give the original poster more reality, less 1 series snowblindedness.
      08-17-2008, 08:55 AM   #18
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 25 BMW M2

Maybe I can put this into perspective. My last car was an 05 Infiniti G35 coupe 6mt Sport Package etc. That cars MSRP was over 38k and the interior in it looked like a Ford Focus compared to the 135i. I am fortunate to be in and out of pretty much every luxury car you can think of on a daily basis. While the interior in the 135i is not as luxurious as say an Audi A5 or a Lexus IS or ES it is very clean and well put together. Go sit inside a new Mercedes C-class, Audi A4, or Infiniti G37 then tell me where the interior ranks.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 08:59 AM   #19
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

Quote:
X3s have some of the worst non-leather seats I've ever seen in ANY car. I hope your wife sprung for the premium package.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 11:56 AM   #20
yourfriend
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You're getting off topic with the "point of the 1er." Topic is interior quality, so why not speak of the rear climate control? Quality can be features as well as materials, design, and craftsmanship. BTW, I had a 07 530i and its interior materials, design, and quality is levels above the 1er and 3er, as it should be. Guess it's stupid to expect more from a 1 series enthusiast board. All I was attempting to do was to give the original poster more reality, less 1 series snowblindedness.

what you need to understand is that we all bought the 1 for a reason. it's because we love it! if the interior is really as terrible as you say, we would all spring out the extra bucks for a 3 series. fact of the matter is, it just works for the car that it is. maybe if they had put this interior in a 3er it wouldn't seem like it works as well. but when i look at the 1er, and i get inside of it, the interior could not possibly be better suited to me. that's how i feel. that's how a lot of people here feel. so instead of saying you were "stupid to expect more from a 1 series enthusiast board," respect the fact that we have our own opinions, and yes, god forbid, they differ from yours.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 12:15 PM   #21
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfriend View Post
what you need to understand is that we all bought the 1 for a reason. it's because we love it! if the interior is really as terrible as you say, we would all spring out the extra bucks for a 3 series. fact of the matter is, it just works for the car that it is. maybe if they had put this interior in a 3er it wouldn't seem like it works as well. but when i look at the 1er, and i get inside of it, the interior could not possibly be better suited to me. that's how i feel. that's how a lot of people here feel. so instead of saying you were "stupid to expect more from a 1 series enthusiast board," respect the fact that we have our own opinions, and yes, god forbid, they differ from yours.
Never said the interior is terrible...just not of the same luxo quality of the 3er, which is what this post is about, not why we all purchased a 1 series. Glad you like it (interior). To me it screams ENTRY LEVEL, which is what I'm sure BMW had in mind as they had to make a class distinction between the two cars. There are appreciable differences in the interiors of the 1er and 3er. That's not opinion, it's fact. If you don't care, or can't tell the difference, or still prefer the 1er inside, then great! Enjoy!
      08-17-2008, 01:12 PM   #22
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post
X3s have some of the worst non-leather seats I've ever seen in ANY car. I hope your wife sprung for the premium package.
I'm talking about the design.