BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-26-2020, 09:47 PM   #1
Millsie108
Registered
Rep
Drives: E87 118D

ANY IDEAS??? HIGH Fuel consumption - 39.5L/100KM

Hi Guys,

I would love to hear any ideas or theories on this problem.

Here is the back story, so I hope I cover all the important points....

The car is 1 Seires, E87, 2010 118D. Stock. no mods as far as im aware.

Ive had the car for a few months now, no issues at all, getting good fuel consumption, averaging just over 800km per tank, with the computer averaging that to 6.5L/100km.

Now the issue, a couple of weeks ago it was a swelter of a day, reaching around the 40*C mark. The car is unfortunately parked in the sun. That afternoon I used it to go for a drive and noticed that the fuel consumption monitor is reading extremely high. This change definitely coincided with the hot day, it wasn't doing this the night before as I check it.
So, i just put it down to heat and perhaps a faulty sensor.....but the problem has persisted.
When accelerating up to speed, it reaches the max consumption, being 39.5L/100km, where before this glitch I have never seen it near half that. Also, I have seen it from time to time continue to show high fuel consumption, like 20L, when I've taken my foot of the gas after accelerating and in these instances the only thing that rights it is the car reaching 0 km/h.
I was hoping this was actually just a sensor glitch, but I'm certain the car is actually using way fuel than normal (gauging from the kms and tank sensor level) when doing my average driving routines. When we reach cruising speed, the consumption goes back to normal levels and appears to be as normal.

I would actually say that the cars performance has improved, the engine seems to have more grunt and this might be biased but i think it sounds like she's sucking in more air too.

Last week I went on a road trip and covered about 700km on manly high way driving and its fuel level was sitting just at about 1/3 full. Which has the computer averaging that to 5.5L/100km.

So on that trip it was definitely the most fuel efficient I have ever seen her go and we have done long freeway drives before.

It almost seems like it remapped itself on that hot day......

There has been no warning lights and the fault history is clear, so as far as the cars concerned everything is normal.

Last week I disconnected the battery in an attempt to reboot the computer, but nothing changed. Since doing that I have done my normal driving runs which is 50% urban 50% freeway and it now has its average fuel consumption sitting at 7.2

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Millsie108; 11-26-2020 at 10:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 04:52 AM   #2
lilakerr
Registered
Rep
Drives: none

Online exams are a great way to assess students' knowledge and skills in a timely and cost-effective manner. Through online exams, students can take tests from anywhere in the world at any time, providing greater flexibility and convenience.
Appreciate 0