BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-22-2019, 11:03 PM   #1
viacob
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i e88

e88 Convertible Issues

Hey yall,

I just purchased a 135i e88 and am having issues with the convertible. There is a yellow light regarding the cargo partition not being engaged, but i see that it is. The convertible has issues going up unassisted and gets stuck in a position that does the same thing over and over again. Once I get it past that position, it is able to go all the way down, but the trunk cargo will not close on it, and i get the light. Going up is the same issue, i have to manually pull it out of the cargo, then it will go up by itself properly. I bought this car extremely cheap because of this issue and wanted to get some of you opinions about any possible tries to fix the convertible.

If the sensor for the cargo partition was bad, would it even start going down at all? It seems all fine until the very end where the liner is in the cargo area, but the yellow light comes on and the trunk cargo won't close. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The error codes:
A689/A688 CVM Hall Sensor, roll bar unclamped, CVM: Fault in coding data
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 07:16 PM   #2
Edrift
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i E88

You just answered your own question.
The error code clearly states it's an issue with the roll bar sensor, not cargo partition.

Has the car been in an accident so that the roll bars engaged?

Have you tried pushing the roll bars back down? They require manual resetting as they only spring up automatically. Instructions in the manual.

The top isn't designed to be operated manually so what you're doing might cause a bigger problem with the hydraulics.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 09:32 PM   #3
viacob
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i e88

This car was bought as a rebuilt status, the car was in an accident before. The roll bars seems disengaged (didn’t know what that was until now). They seem locked into place on both sides. If it’s a fault sensor are those ez to replace. Any idea how to reset these after they already were bought back down? Trying to try every little thing before getting a dealer to look at it
Appreciate 0