BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-10-2008, 01:44 PM   #1
cobra
Rep
Drives:

Order Fee

Has anyone been charged an order fee for custom ordering a 1-series as opposed to just giving a deposit?

I was charged a $1000 order fee which will be applied to the car once it arrives at the dealership. I guess the difference between this and a deposit is that, if I don't purchase the car, I lose the $1000 whereas deposits are refundable.

With the markets going the way they are, and the dealership giving me no incentives (ie. paying MSRP), it might be better to cancel the transaction and take my loss.

Anyone in a similar situation and/or know if there is anyway to get this order fee back?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 02:05 PM   #2
amurph182
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

it's still a deposit, it's just that at your dealership it's non-refundable. At some other dealerships they keep it until they sell the car, and at many others they'll just give it back. They can call it whatever they want, it's still a deposit.

My question is why would you put down $1000 on a car and then complain about the price? Didn't you know the price before you put down the deposit? Maybe that's OT, but it's what springs into my mind when reading your post.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 02:10 PM   #3
oneaabe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Right now people are cutting down on spending - especially spending on cars and luxury items. I find it very surprising that your dealer is adamant about getting MSRP. You should have been able to score a much better deal.
And why did you put down that deposit/order fee in the first place !?!?
Timeline: Ordered (got prod. #): April 12 '08; Scheduled for production: July 10 '08; DoB: July 18 '08; ED Pickup: 1st Aug '08; ED Dropoff: 4th Aug '08; Arrived at Port Hueneme: 5th Oct '08; At VPC: 10th Oct '08; Pickup at local dealer: 14th Oct'08;
Current Status:
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 04:42 PM   #4
cobra
Rep
Drives:

amurph-182 :

Thanks you have brought up an excellent point. I believe here in this state deposits are illegal and by law, they must refund the money. In reality, what they are doing is trying to avoid this clause by calling it something else, to avoid having to refund. I guess this is a point that I could argue.

To answer your question is, when I put down the deposit.. I did know the price. I was comfortable in paying MSRP back in August. But times have changed and there are other dealers are willing to negotiate aggressively now.

Also, financially it makes less sense now for me to complete the transaction then it did 1.5 month ago, given the direction of the Markets. I wouldn't be surprised if others are in the same boat.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 07:01 AM   #5
IrvRobinson2
Banned
Rep
Drives:

There are quite a few people facing uncertainties in their careers and the economy....ask for a refund,tell them your company is downsizing and you'll be out of a job.You can get much better deals elsewhere,go outside of your state since the doc fee is so high and just take delivery at the Performance Center.If you have time,do a ED first,then redelivery at the PC.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 11:43 AM   #6
hansenc
1addict, and proud
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2008 128i  [0.00]
I didn't put down my deposit till the price for the car/trade in was agreed on and paperwork was signed.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 12:03 PM   #7
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

What status is your order in, if it is still in 111 (check using the owner's circle using your order number) they should still be able to change it and therefor would have no need to keep your money. They also shouldn't keep your money anyway unless you ordered some crazy options they can't sell. Either way, the sooner you ask for it back the better.