BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-21-2020, 12:25 AM   #1
135i_rey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i

Hello everyone , bare with me as this is my first post on a forum I have a bone stock 2013 135i Msport package and am looking for some extra power , I have been looking into the jb4 and want to know is the jb4 setup the right option for my car
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 02:12 AM   #2
TM9030
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Go with MHD — Most people ditch the JB4 after a while.
Appreciate 1
Afam28298.00
      06-21-2020, 02:23 AM   #3
135i_rey
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM9030 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TM9030 View Post
What's the upside of MHD over the JB4 ?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 09:29 AM   #4
Jeef
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i

you can run either. some people stack it together. Can do meth and pi integration and other features the jb4 supports.

flash only works great too!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 11:22 AM   #5
135i_rey
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef View Post
you can run either. some people stack it together. Can do meth and pi integration and other features the jb4 supports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef View Post

Is it worth using the two together ? or better using either one alone ??
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 12:25 PM   #6
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_rey View Post
Hello everyone , bare with me as this is my first post on a forum I have a bone stock 2013 135i Msport package and am looking for some extra power , I have been looking into the jb4 and want to know is the jb4 setup the right option for my car
Ouch, you have a stock 2013 M sport 135i.. If it's a manual, that is a pretty special car and desireable car, don't ruin it with a tune. Take care of it. don't put KN air filter either and let more contaminants in the motor. If you want more power get one of the BMW Performance stock upgrades that give you 20 more horsepower designed by the people that build your car. There aren't many all stock manual Msport 2013s around. Don't ruin it. At least the BMW tune was built with keeping the car safe during warranty period.

I know it's your car to do what you want, just saying you will ruin the car with a cheap tune or racing air filter that is meant for racing not long life durability. If the car is automatic disregard everything I said here. Tons of those around. Tune to your heart's delight.

Best wishes.

Here is a link to the BMW powerkit for your car. It might be hard to find these days, but made by BMW with reliablity in mind. This was the tune in the 135i albeit, they added the auxiliary radiator from the 1M also. You could actually do that also but a lot of work.

https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...b3J5IFBhZ2U%3D

If you want full monty, here is the kit with aux radiator. The labor on the tune is probably about $400 not sure how much for adding the radiator. since NJ gets hot, this would be a nice thing to have.

Last edited by nachob; 06-21-2020 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 02:10 PM   #7
Jeef
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i

I recommend you use flash tune for your n55.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 02:57 PM   #8
135i_rey
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Quote:
Ouch, you have a stock 2013 M sport 135i.. If it's a manual, that is a pretty special car and desireable car, don't ruin it with a tune. Take care of it. don't put KN air filter either and let more contaminants in the motor. If you want more power get one of the BMW Performance stock upgrades that give you 20 more horsepower designed by the people that build your car. There aren't many all stock manual Msport 2013s around. Don't ruin it. At least the BMW tune was built with keeping the car safe during warranty period.

I know it's your car to do what you want, just saying you will ruin the car with a cheap tune or racing air filter that is meant for racing not long life durability. If the car is automatic disregard everything I said here. Tons of those around. Tune to your heart's delight.

Best wishes.

Here is a link to the BMW powerkit for your car. It might be hard to find these days, but made by BMW with reliablity in mind. This was the tune in the 135i albeit, they added the auxiliary radiator from the 1M also. You could actually do that also but a lot of work.

If you want full monty, here is the kit with aux radiator. The labor on the tune is probably about $400 not sure how much for adding the radiator. since NJ gets hot, this would be a nice thing to have.

Quote:
Quote:

Best wishes.

the car is actually automatic with the DCT
You have a very valid point
I intend on keeping the car stock , but was considering at least a flash tune for the extra power and aggressiveness for my entertainment purposes
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 04:00 PM   #9
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
I intend on keeping the car stock , but was considering at least a flash tune for the extra power and aggressiveness for my entertainment purposes
Flash tunes bring new problems. The wastegates are weak on these cars and the extra heat is bad. As you can see when BMW added the 20hp with their upgrade they added an extra radiator on the 1M and 135is. the kit appears to be available still and if you want to do it right, I would recommend going that way. I'm not sure on the N55 but on the N54 the wastegates are part of the turbo and it is a $5K job min to replace the turbos/wastgates.

If yours is auto, then all good though, just 2013 manual M sport 1Ms are pretty rare especially stock. If yours was one it would be a shame to do that to such a rare car but there are lot more autos so don't feel as bad. Finally, you might want to consider a couple of things before adding a tune.

1. The power your car makes fluctuates quite a bit. You will notice that on a cool morning, the car feels like it's making 10% more power than when hot. It is. Air density makes a big difference so upgrading the cooling both with a better intercooler and second with auxiliary radiator can give you your full 300 hp feel vs the 270ish feel when hot. Adding better intercooler helps but it cuts into the radiator airflow also so that is why the aux radiator off to the side helps. Then you can try different tune. Just adding more boost will shorten the life of your wastegate so that is why I would start with adding cooling first. You can also go with a little better oil than stock. You are probably running 0W-30 or 5W-30. These are great in winter and for increasing fuel mileage but something line Pennzoil Euro Platinum 5W-40 is made by Shell, same as the BMW oil and is LL-01 certified.

Anyway, good luck with your ride. I love the last of the 1 series M sport cars.

Stay safe.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 05:06 PM   #10
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i E88

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Get mhd license, flash stage 1 or 1+ and enjoy it . If you don't like it flash back to stock
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 06:12 PM   #11
135i_rey
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro135 View Post
Get mhd license, flash stage 1 or 1+ and enjoy it . If you don't like it flash back to stock
Quote:
Thanks , but now I think I am leaning more towards the M Performance Power kit 1 rather than jb4 or mhd
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 06:15 PM   #12
135i_rey
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Flash tunes bring new problems. The wastegates are weak on these cars and the extra heat is bad. As you can see when BMW added the 20hp with their upgrade they added an extra radiator on the 1M and 135is. the kit appears to be available still and if you want to do it right, I would recommend going that way. I'm not sure on the N55 but on the N54 the wastegates are part of the turbo and it is a $5K job min to replace the turbos/wastgates.

If yours is auto, then all good though, just 2013 manual M sport 1Ms are pretty rare especially stock. If yours was one it would be a shame to do that to such a rare car but there are lot more autos so don't feel as bad. Finally, you might want to consider a couple of things before adding a tune.

1. The power your car makes fluctuates quite a bit. You will notice that on a cool morning, the car feels like it's making 10% more power than when hot. It is. Air density makes a big difference so upgrading the cooling both with a better intercooler and second with auxiliary radiator can give you your full 300 hp feel vs the 270ish feel when hot. Adding better intercooler helps but it cuts into the radiator airflow also so that is why the aux radiator off to the side helps. Then you can try different tune. Just adding more boost will shorten the life of your wastegate so that is why I would start with adding cooling first. You can also go with a little better oil than stock. You are probably running 0W-30 or 5W-30. These are great in winter and for increasing fuel mileage but something line Pennzoil Euro Platinum 5W-40 is made by Shell, same as the BMW oil and is LL-01 certified.

Stay safe.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Stay safe.
Your input was very much appreciated and taken into consideration
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 08:25 PM   #13
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
We offer the Jb4 with 30 day money back guarantee, give it a try, if you do not like it you can send it back

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 01:40 AM   #14
shawnyeeah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 N55 135i

I had PPK for 3 years mostly to improve DCT performance and exhaust burbles since I didn't feel need for a lot of power. It was great, especially for the sweet deal I got it for. But recently got MHD Stage 1+ wanting to maximize my mods, and I was able to keep the PPK burbles (without MHD burble setting) as well as the PPK DCT responsiveness. I definitely love the power gains and I avg 14-17 psi on stock turbo (before avg 9-12 psi). MHD stage 1+ seems safe and smooth so far and not too much power to sacrifice reliability.

If you plan on adding mods to the car a tune would be better. I'm not a fan of piggyback, so opted for flash tune. But if you want stock, then PPK is a good choice.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 10:46 AM   #15
135i_rey
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnyeeah View Post
I had PPK for 3 years mostly to improve DCT performance and exhaust burbles since I didn't feel need for a lot of power. It was great, especially for the sweet deal I got it for. But recently got MHD Stage 1+ wanting to maximize my mods, and I was able to keep the PPK burbles (without MHD burble setting) as well as the PPK DCT responsiveness. I definitely love the power gains and I avg 14-17 psi on stock turbo (before avg 9-12 psi). MHD stage 1+ seems safe and smooth so far and not too much power to sacrifice reliability.

If you plan on adding mods to the car a tune would be better. I'm not a fan of piggyback, so opted for flash tune. But if you want stock, then PPK is a good choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnyeeah View Post

I plan on keeping the car pretty stock besides ppk1 and ppk2 , at least for a couple years before I do any major upgrades . thanks for your opinion
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2020, 05:42 PM   #16
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Depends on what you want to do (and how much money you want to spend). I've had a JB4 for almost the entire 5 years I've owned my car and recently have been tweaking the BEF, mostly timing and AFRs trying to smooth it out. If you get the JB4 for $480, you'll want the mobile app which costs $28 to log and make changes, and the bluetooth or cable to connect your phone to the JB4, and you'll still want the get the MHD, another $200 for the license, to load the free JB4 BEF to get the car to run smooth. Then you can tweak the BEF with the free TunerPro app if you choose.

If you want more of a "set it and forget it" solution, get the MHD app for $200, then buy an OTS map/tune bundle that works with your current mods, more $$$. Then buy the level up as you continue to upgrade your car, which you may tell yourself and everyone else that you won't do but end up doing anyway.

Or buy the MHD app for $200, buy the add-in that lets you log and pay a tuner ~$400 to do a custom tune based on your logs, AFTER you do your changes so you're not upgrading your tune.

If you get the JB4 you can use it from bone stock up to FBO and even with a PS2 turbo upgrade and meth, as it will "adapt". BUT be prepared to have a love/hate relationship with it as myself and a few other "long time" JB4 users have with it lol. And be prepared for inconsistent back to back logs and not being able to see timing <0* in the logs, which has limited values that are logged, and not being able to have a dongle or device plugged into the OBD port when using the JB4. Then reviewing the logs and not feeling confident in the values logged making you wonder how your car is even running.

I would recommend getting the JB4, the MHD app and free BEF and NEVER look at the logs.

1Mpostr

Last edited by JPuehl; 07-08-2020 at 05:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 05:23 PM   #17
anglocanadian
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i M Sport Edition

Don,t forget the Dinan option probably a lot cheaper than PPK and a bit more power
Appreciate 0