BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-29-2014, 07:42 PM   #45
B777flyboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i carbon black

Garage List
2013 Bmw 135  [0.00]
33 and never owned an auto. Never will if I have anything to say about it. Friend is 27 and mt all the way.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 07:53 PM   #46
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Of the two 1ers that ive owned one is an automatic and the other was a single speed.

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 08:31 PM   #47
saace7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: OneThreeFive

My e46 was a 6sp... this thread makes me miss my MT.

135 with the silly paddle shifters. It's fun, but it limits it to being strictly a "road car". there isn't much room to do "bad" things in it with out taring it up.

When shopping for my 1er, i was really limited to time because of work and I was in a rental. Forced me into a auto. Idk, maybe one day I can do a swap?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 10:49 AM   #48
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by saace7 View Post

135 with the silly paddle shifters. It's fun, but it limits it to being strictly a "road car". there isn't much room to do "bad" things in it with out taring it up.

When shopping for my 1er, i was really limited to time because of work and I was in a rental. Forced me into a auto. Idk, maybe one day I can do a swap?
Oh really? In what way exactly does it limit the car to just being a "road car". Got any facts to back up that broad statement concerning limitations being placed on what you can do with the car due to it having an automatic (aside from it shifting for you to make sure you don't blow the engine up) or the "fact" that they're easily "tared" up? I guess all manual transmissions are bulletproof, right? I guess those silly guys at Porsche shouldn't trust their PDK's at a track racing around all day...oh wait, but they do because they let complete fucking amateurs race them (PDK equipped 911 C2S models and Cayman's) around at Barber Motorsport. BTW, I asked those instructors back in 2010 (who race cars professionally) what they preferred. The majority said the PDK. Most common reason given: "I can better concentrate on my driving and my track line rather than having to deal with the manual trans. gear changes". Does that mean AT's are better? Certainly not...it's opinion.

Trust me man, if your post is truly what you think, you're the limiting factor, not your car's automatic trans. God, I hate ignorance.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 11:32 AM   #49
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

23 - MT

Been driving manual since 15. Haven't owned a car that was automatic yet
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 04:33 PM   #50
2012_135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i, 6MT, M-Sport

65 - MT

I learned to drive on a manual, a 3-speed on the column, back in the mid sixties when they still had driver ed classes. I had a choice to learn on an automatic or a manual and chose the manual because I figured if I learned that I could drive anything. It was one of the better decisions in my life.

Hard to say these days whether more older or younger folks drive sticks. I would go with older just because manual transmissions used to be a lot more prevalent than today, there were practical reasons to be MT capable, auto transmissions used to generally suck, and MTs used to be the clear performance choice. But a lot has changed since then.
      09-30-2014, 05:06 PM   #51
saace7
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
Oh really? In what way exactly does it limit the car to just being a "road car". Got any facts to back up that broad statement concerning limitations being placed on what you can do with the car due to it having an automatic (aside from it shifting for you to make sure you don't blow the engine up) or the "fact" that they're easily "tared" up? I guess all manual transmissions are bulletproof, right? I guess those silly guys at Porsche shouldn't trust their PDK's at a track racing around all day...oh wait, but they do because they let complete fucking amateurs race them (PDK equipped 911 C2S models and Cayman's) around at Barber Motorsport. BTW, I asked those instructors back in 2010 (who race cars professionally) what they preferred. The majority said the PDK. Most common reason given: "I can better concentrate on my driving and my track line rather than having to deal with the manual trans. gear changes". Does that mean AT's are better? Certainly not...it's opinion.

Trust me man, if your post is truly what you think, you're the limiting factor, not your car's automatic trans. God, I hate ignorance.
Did I hurt your feelings or something??
Calm down turbo...

Like you said it's about opinion and I simply stated mine... why are your panties in a bundle?

It's not about which is better, its about the application you will use it for, the driver just has more control of what he/she is doing in a manual. Not going to lie, when it's wet out I like to get a little side wides here and there. In manual mode the car will shift it self when closing on the red line compared to a manual where I can choose to hold that gear. You obviously missed what I was trying to say or are a troll because you use racing as your example but that only backs up what I am saying. When I say "road car" I mean any car on the road used for spirited driving or road racing.. When It comes to drifting, the auto wouldn't be my first choice. This is why I like my auto for the most part because it limits me to how much i am willing to abuse my car as i can only power slide (no dumping clutch's for extra fun).. When it comes to road racing, I would take this auto over a 6sp all day!!

Last edited by saace7; 09-30-2014 at 05:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 05:28 PM   #52
firokzz
just another 1addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i, grey, convertible, stick

I'm 18 and drive 135i manual
      09-30-2014, 06:01 PM   #53
JB007
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW135i MSport 6 Speed

40, MT. Will always drive a MT unless someone cuts my legs off.
Wife 40' drives an SUV with a 5 speed MT. Those are extremely rare.
2013 BMW 135i MSport Edition, Alpine White, 6 speed manual, Coral Red leather, Sound Package, Premium Package, Alarm, BMW Perf black kidneys, Tint (20%rear, 50% sides), XPel Ultimate full front end and side skirts, H8 PIAA Plasma Ion yellow bulbs
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 06:36 PM   #54
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Did I hurt your feelings or something??
Calm down turbo...

Like you said it's about opinion and I simply stated mine... why are your panties in a bundle?

It's not about which is better, its about the application you will use it for, the driver just has more control of what he/she is doing in a manual. Not going to lie, when it's wet out I like to get a little side wides here and there. In manual mode the car will shift it self when closing on the red line compared to a manual where I can choose to hold that gear. You obviously missed what I was trying to say or are a troll because you use racing as your example but that only backs up what I am saying. When I say "road car" I mean any car on the road used for spirited driving or road racing.. When It comes to drifting, the auto wouldn't be my first choice. This is why I like my auto for the most part because it limits me to how much i am willing to abuse my car as i can only power slide (no dumping clutch's for extra fun).. When it comes to road racing, I would take this auto over a 6sp all day!!
I jumped your shit for good cause. NOWHERE in your post did you have the words "in my opinion". So I sought to discern whether you're seriously inept at expressing your opinions (which you are because no one could possibly infer any of your clarification post above from what you originally posted as a response in this thread) or truly believe your opinions are facts.

Furthermore, my using racing as an example makes me a troll in the same way you believing drifting to be an actual automobile racing sport makes you one.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 06:47 PM   #55
saace7
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
I jumped your shit for good cause. NOWHERE in your post did you have the words "in my opinion". So I sought to discern whether you're seriously inept at expressing your opinions (which you are because no one could possibly infer any of your clarification post above from what you originally posted as a response in this thread) or truly believe your opinions are facts.

Furthermore, my using racing as an example makes me a troll in the same way you believing drifting to be an actual automobile racing sport makes you one.

Lol you are so silly.

Did i say anything like that in bold? All I said was, when it rains, i like to do a little sliding and that it is easier to control with a manual..
If something this simple bothers you that much... I feel sorry for you almighty forum god...

now lets get back on topic.

Last edited by saace7; 09-30-2014 at 06:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 07:16 PM   #56
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

09-30-2014, 07:23 PM   #57
dans135i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Space gray M options

Wheres my popcorn??

I am 58 , driven manuals all my life , until now. I have driven in enough traffic to really appreciate having the DCT. I was also very impressed with how quickly and smoothly it shifts. I also own a modified 73 Porsche track car and understand the control aspect of a manual on the track , but in manual mode/paddles the 1er is really good.

BTW, you can turn DTC off if you want to do bad things as you say... I really also do not understand the derogatory "just a road car"... and you include road racing??

Anyway, no offense intended but your statement didnt make sense.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 07:28 PM   #58
Alow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 128i, F36 430i GC

My manual is better than your manual :P
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 07:53 PM   #59
saace7
Private
United_States
Rep

I know about the DTC... I think everyone does. I just used a term "road car" as a way to describe the auto being great for the road.. driving, driving in the twisties, racing, where gears are constantly needing to be shifted. Compared to drifting, where a manual for me, personally, as an OPINION would work for me better. Didn't think it would get blown out of proportion like this.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 11:02 PM   #60
CincyOne
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

67 - 4 manuals
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 12:28 AM   #61
Huecifer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

Guys, guys...we're not mad you drive an automatic, we're just glad that we don't.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 12:29 AM   #62
Huecifer
Private First Class
Rep

Oh, and 30 MT
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 02:28 AM   #63
Kreed
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW 135i

45 - DCT I went auto because knee couldn't handle the traffic, drove manuals all my life until this car, manual feels archaic/unnecessary now. *IMO*
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 03:50 AM   #64
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreed View Post
45 - DCT I went auto because knee couldn't handle the traffic, drove manuals all my life until this car, manual feels archaic/unnecessary now. *IMO*
Damn! Now I'm starting to feel archaic and unnecessary.

10-01-2014, 07:22 AM   #65
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449
Quote:

Are you mad cuz u got stuck with an AT?
      10-01-2014, 07:51 AM   #66
e36addict
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35iX

The DCT is my daily (26) and it's lovely. However, I could never not own a manual car at any point.. I have two others to keep me entertained
Appreciate 0