BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: So, Keep it, dump it, or wait and see?
Keep it! 2 6.90%
Dump it! 20 68.97%
Wait and see. 7 24.14%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

09-05-2014, 09:47 AM   #45
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
I know, but this is gonna be a daily driver, and I don't want a 1M as a DD. (Actually, I would love one, but I would hate to wear it out like DD use would).
that's the best way to use a 1M!!! i put 120 miles a day on mine....and it is facking phenomenal! wouldn't have it any other way. i would argue it is a better daily driver than the 135 actually....which i also drove for 120 miles a day before this.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 10:02 AM   #46
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Damn you! You're gonna have me looking for 1Ms before this is all done...
Then again, I would save money on mods I wouldn't have to do to a 135 - I could look at it that way. ;-)
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 10:04 AM   #47
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Damn you! You're gonna have me looking for 1Ms before this is all done...
Then again, I would save money on mods I wouldn't have to do to a 135 - I could look at it that way. ;-)
sorry, man!!!

i can honestly tell you that you would NOT be disappointed. It is worth the effort and the $$.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 10:10 AM   #48
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I am not a fan of driving cars that have been in accidents but... unless I am blind, that is a new bumper, rear left tailight and bootlid away from being fixed. If there is no damage underneath, I am not sure I see the issue here. That cracked 1/4 panel is the worst thing here.
      09-05-2014, 10:22 AM   #49
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Reason for the Msport: Sport seats, steering wheel. I also like the 18" wheels, but if I got 17s, I would just go aftermarket. I don't know what comes in the Sport pkg, because my MY (2012) didn't offer a sport pkg as far as I know, only the Mspt. If the plain sport pkg has the steering wheel and seats, I could work with that. Oh, and I like the shadowline trim, but I could live with a grey headliner if the exterior trim was black. In a nutshell, I am not sure what the difference between the two is because like I said, I don't think the plain sport pkg was offered in my MY.

I also lean a little toward wanting the N55 as opposed to the N54, because the preponderance of evidence seems to indicate that the N55 is a little more reliable, even if not as easily tunable (less HPFP issues, etc) and I am not trying to build a track monster.

Exhaust: While yours does sound nice, I still think the BMW PE is not exactly the tone I am looking for. If you watch the CP-E mfr video for their Austenite catback, THAT is kinda the tone I want. Think Italian tones rather than American tones.
All 135's come with 18" wheels. Sport pkg comes with 264 style 18" wheels and Msport pkg comes with 261 style 18" wheels. Both come with sport seats, ///M steering wheel and shadowline trim. Only thing the Msport pkg has that the sport pkg doesn't have is the anthracite headliner, maybe glacier silver aluminum trim inside (if sport pkg'd car wasn't ordered with it) and some ///M's on the door sills.

The Performance exhaust sounds plenty european exotic to me, but it's your opinion that matters. After all, it is going on your car. Just in case you thought that was my video, it's not. It belongs to another member, 3002 tii.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Last edited by Esteban; 09-05-2014 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 11:17 AM   #50
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I am not a fan of driving cars that have been in accidents but... unless I am blind, that is a new bumper, rear left tailight and bootlid away from being fixed. If there is no damage underneath, I am not sure I see the issue here. That cracked 1/4 panel is the worst thing here.
It was all those things, including a whole new quarter panel, new back glass (they were worried about the integrity of the seal), and a frame panel or two replaced. All told about $9k in repairs. So it will forever bear the scarlet letter of "frame damage".
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 11:43 AM   #51
muddtt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i (E88)

Have you filed your diminished value claim yet? I'm currently working on one from a guy that rear ended my Volkswagen Tiguan. It seems like its going to be a pain, but theres a lot of money to be had if you're willing to do the work. Two places I contacted estimated that I should be able to get between $2000-3500 for my claim. I'm not sure how it would work since yours is leased, but I'd at least look into it.

There's a lot of helpful info out there if you search. One link that kind of explains the process is:
http://www.farmersinsurancegroupsuck...formation.html

The second half is where they get into the process.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 09:49 PM   #52
amyracecar
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 '97 328is, E82 '11 128is

Quote:
It was all those things, including a whole new quarter panel, new back glass (they were worried about the integrity of the seal), and a frame panel or two replaced. All told about $9k in repairs. So it will forever bear the scarlet letter of "frame damage".

It is the frame damage that is the kiss of death for me, you just never know after that kind of a hit - I had an 04 330ci that I adored and was going to keep until... a car turned in front of me and boom to the firewall crushed but b/c only 6mo old someone decided to fix it - that lease went back ASAP... front end damage is even more of a no-brainer; but the trunk/seams would worry me too..

My baby 1er got tagged the other day and is at least at 2k of damage but no frame at all and actually hit only the bumper [and PDC] - with the VIN being tagged as an accident I will be negotiating the reduced value w/ the adjustor next week...

Send her back to BMW and in the time remaining find yourself a GP 135 to take her place!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 08:41 AM   #53
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm going to do. Turn it in at lease end and get another 135 with fewer miles (mine will have almost 40k by the time I turn it in anyway).

I looked into the diminished value thing, but since the car is a lease and I do not personally experience the loss of value (BMW NA will), I can't really do much.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 03:55 PM   #54
BMWX1-35i
2015 X1 35i XDrive with NAV
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 35i

Garage List
Keep it as long as the buy out is a good price. Bodywork today is great from reputable shops especially one who deal primarily with BMW's..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 01:24 PM   #55
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Update in case anybody cares.

Finalizing negotiation on the purchase of the replacement (135, NOT M235).
The new one is exactly the same as my old one (2012, Blk/Blk, MSpt, 6MT, Premium, Heated seats) plus a few more bells (Convenience, Nav, HK) and whistles (BMWPE).

I never really wanted nav, as I think they don't age well, and are far more a pain to update than my iphone, but is does solve two design flaws in the non-nav:
  1. Bad placement of the cupholder for a MT: travel mugs are kinda in the way of the shifting motion
  2. The polarized-lens-unfriendly stereo interface (I wear polarized all the time).
Oh, and my lease turn-in has 42k miles and the new one (a 2012) has 23k miles.
Plus I get to use Pull-ahead and turn in my lease a month early.

I'm a happy camper. And the deal is good enough that I have enough spare cash for a JB4, intake, and oil catch can.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 01:35 PM   #56
Mach1er
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i

Congrats! You will enjoy the HK and Nav, even though I agree about the aging. Comfort Access will become second nature and you will miss it every time you drive a car without.

Regarding the polarized glasses and the radio screen problem: That is the main reason I got Nav (and iPod controls). My dad's 328i had standard radio and it drove me completely nuts! Enjoy your new upgrades! I'm glad everything worked out in the end.

Quote:
Update in case anybody cares.

Finalizing negotiation on the purchase of the replacement (135, NOT M235).
The new one is exactly the same as my old one (2012, Blk/Blk, MSpt, 6MT, Premium, Heated seats) plus a few more bells (Convenience, Nav, HK) and whistles (BMWPE).

I never really wanted nav, as I think they don't age well, and are far more a pain to update than my iphone, but is does solve two design flaws in the non-nav:
  1. Bad placement of the cupholder for a MT: travel mugs are kinda in the way of the shifting motion
  2. The polarized-lens-unfriendly stereo interface (I wear polarized all the time).
Oh, and my lease turn-in has 42k miles and the new one (a 2012) has 23k miles.
Plus I get to use Pull-ahead and turn in my lease a month early.

I'm a happy camper. And the deal is good enough that I have enough spare cash for a JB4, intake, and oil catch can.
      01-26-2015, 01:57 PM   #57
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

While I do think the nav itself is pretty crappy and went back and forth on the tech package, having had a 2008 without it and liking that clean look, in the end, it enables a lot of good voice commands and other neat features, but mostly, having the large screen to use as the interface for everything as opposed to going through the 2-line radio screen or turn signal stalk to use the instrument cluster is just much easier to use.

The HK is decent and I also really enjoy how it shows album art on the screen when it plays music, so I think you'll come to like all those extra things. You may still want to use your phone for navigation though at times.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 03:14 PM   #58
2012_135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i, 6MT, M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post

The HK is decent and I also really enjoy how it shows album art on the screen when it plays music, so I think you'll come to like all those extra things. You may still want to use your phone for navigation though at times.
Totally agree on the HK. It's well worth the upgrade if you don't want to pay big bucks for an after market solution that may not integrate with your dash as well. I was willing to pay the additional premium for BMW Assist which I never use just to get it and I have not regretted my decision.
      01-26-2015, 04:31 PM   #59
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Don't really even know what my stereo sounds like. I've got the bottom of the line, I believe. BMW Professional. Had it on maybe once or twice. Also listen to phone calls through bluetooth. Almost always drive with the windows down listening to the popping and crackling of the exhaust. That's my music.
      01-26-2015, 05:00 PM   #60
2012_135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenEsteban View Post
...Almost always drive with the windows down listening to the popping and crackling of the exhaust. That's my music.
There is that. Try it with the sunroof back as well and "Touch of Grey" cranked up while ripping through 2nd to 3rd.
      01-26-2015, 05:11 PM   #61
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012_135i View Post
There is that. Try it with the sunroof back as well and "Touch of Grey" cranked up while ripping through 2nd to 3rd.
Sorry, not a "dead-head."
      01-26-2015, 06:17 PM   #62
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Same here. I'm usually cranking Five Finger Death Punch or Godsmack with the windows down and top open (is that abnormal for a 42-year old?), but then again, I've been running on stock exhaust for 3 years. Can't wait to have the BMW PE, although I have had my heart set on a CP-E, so I will probably sell my PE fairly soon.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 06:38 PM   #63
2012_135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Same here. I'm usually cranking Five Finger Death Punch or Godsmack with the windows down and top open (is that abnormal for a 42-year old?)...
Not abnormal at all. I'm well north of you in age and enjoy the same thing. Can't believe I still have my license. My car is pure stock right now. But when the warranty runs out...

EvenEsteban: Not a Dead Head, just like that song.
      01-26-2015, 07:00 PM   #64
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not abnormal at all. I'm well north of you in age and enjoy the same thing. Can't believe I still have my license. My car is pure stock right now. But when the warranty runs out...

EvenEsteban: Not a Dead Head, just like that song.
I'm north of Cavpilot2k as well, but it doesn't mean I'm a Grateful Dead fan. That song is okay, though. Their only song to reach the top 40. Actually reached number 9. I think I'd be embarrassed to crank that song up with my windows down. Cavpilot2k's choices would be alright, though.

The secret to no tickets and keeping your license is to drive like a maniac at triple digit speeds when NO ONE IS LOOKING. I can do that all the time where I live.

Last edited by Esteban; 01-26-2015 at 07:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 07:53 PM   #65
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:
But when the warranty runs out...
No harm to the warranty by adding a catback or axle-back exhaust...

The only reason I didnt was that it was a lease, and I just couldn't justify the expense to mod someone else's car.
Now that I am buying my own though...game on! (tastefully for now though, while the warranty is intact).
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 08:26 PM   #66
2012_135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No harm to the warranty by adding a catback or axle-back exhaust...

The only reason I didnt was that it was a lease, and I just couldn't justify the expense to mod someone else's car.
Now that I am buying my own though...game on! (tastefully for now though, while the warranty is intact).
I'm ok with the exhaust for now. Will probably do that when I get a tune (something other than PPK) and mod the suspension. Getting rid of the run flats too too but can't afford to throw out good rubber right now. Also going to put in a short shift and do a CDV delete.