BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-28-2016, 09:31 AM   #1
TMR013
Opus Angelus
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

Why do BMW drivers get the rap for being assholes? Maybe because we are...

At least in a lot of peoples minds.

Had this thought as I recently had the chance to take the 1er out on some of my favorite mountain twisties. I went on a Friday with the hope of there being less traffic, and there was. Surprisingly, I'd say more than half of the time when I met traffic on the fun parts, they pulled over and let me pass. To which I always gave them a thankful wave. But the rest of course didn't. So my usual action is to come up behind them clearly letting my intention of wanting to pass them be known (don't bother with flashing lights as I'm convinced people have no clue what that means and only makes them mad). I also slow down to let them get ahead of me so I can take some speed into some of the hairpins. So I'm sure they see this maniac tailgating them, then going back and forth around corners like a crazy person then closing on them at high speed again. And either in fear or righteous indignation firmly don't pull over so somebody controls this jerk in the BMW.

Think we need to understand that's how it looks to them. They don't understand that I'm an enthusiast. That I took this road not necessarily to get to a destination, but to enjoy driving on it. That I have both the experience and the equipment to safely do these roads at what they consider a crazy pace. The vast majority, and unfortunately growing, see driving as a chore to get from point A to B.

Now I know, there are true asshole BMW drivers out there. That either don't know how to drive these wonderful machines or don't care and think that everybody should bow to them. But I really think the vast majority are just enthusiast like me. Unfortunately, we all look the same to the defensive driving taught sheeple.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 09:52 AM   #2
yakuza70
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i coupe

I bought my first BMW three years ago (135i) after driving mostly Japanese cars for almost 30 years. I was fully aware of the BMW stereotype when I bought the car but I'm not sure if I'm just hyper aware but I swear people cut me off in normal driving situations much more often now that I have my BMW compared to my other cars.
      08-28-2016, 10:13 AM   #3
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
I don't think your typical BMW driver is an enthusiast at all. M drivers and 135 drivers and then the modded version of the others are likely to be. Most of the rest are not necessarily jerks, they just drive like one because they typically are self centered and think they subliminally think they are more important than the rest of us.

It's funny, in my mind, I barely even notice the typical BMW driver anymore. But I do notice the M's, modded BMWs, etc.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 10:23 AM   #4
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

I think this is not specific to BMWs but rather to most luxury cars. And it has more to do with behavior in town than it does with driving habits on the open road, such things as not stopping for people in crosswalks, and not letting other vehicles in front of you when there is road construction ahead, stuff like that.

There was a "study" done on this sometime in the last few years that I saw in the press that purported to show exactly this, that drivers of expensive brands tended to be less considerate than drivers of more mainstream brands. I read enough of the "study" to conclude that their methodology was severely flawed and no conclusions could be drawn from their data, because the study was set up in the first place to prove that luxury car drivers were inconsiderate. This is typical of a lot of what passes for "experimentation" and "research" these days, studies on pharmaceuticals and political hot button issues, etc., sham research with the conclusion reached before the data is amassed.

My most frequent long driving usage is to go between where i live in the mountains to the big city, about 2.5 hours drive with most of the drive on 2 lane and twisty roads. The central portion has a speed limit of 65 mph, and you can do 70 without generally risking a ticket (71, maybe not). About 50 miles of this drive is a lot of fun if you aren't behind an RV or truck, and hugely annoying if you are. So I preemptively try to pass whatever is in front of me before this section begins, so that when I do encounter snails they are usually just 1 or 2 vehicles together that I can manage to pass in the twisties on the brief passing lanes there.

This might make some of those drivers think that I am an asshole, but I certainly get passed there by people even more brazen than I am (people wanting to do 85 or more in those sections) and I don't consider them to be assholes as long as they do the passing safely and considerately. Then I get to wait and wonder if I will see them pulled over on the side of the road further down, because the cops here will throw the book at you if speed like that and they catch you.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 02:53 PM   #5
KNS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128i and Porsche

Good on ya for giving a friendly wave when someone pulls aside - I always do that.

I don't think people are making your life difficult (to pass), some folks are just on their merry way and going slow or being blind to the fact that someone wants to pass is the furthest thing from their mind. It is extremely frustrating especially when you get up early to hit a favorite road in the hopes of finding it traffic free.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 03:14 PM   #6
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
This BMW stereotype thing is really just a myth IMHO. I live in Texas and I see asshole drivers in everything from muscle cars, to luxury cars and trucks. I believe it's relevant to where you are, here in Texas most of the asshats are in Camaros and jacked up diesel trucks that leave a trail of black smoke during acceleration.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i

Last edited by doublevanosrc; 08-29-2016 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 09:19 AM   #7
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanosrc View Post
This BMW stereotype thing is really just a myth IMHO. I live in Texas and I see asshole drivers in everything from muscle cars, to luxury cars and trucks. I believe it's relevant to where you at here in Texas most of the asshats are in Camaros and jacked up diesel truck that leave a trail of black smoke during acceleration.
I agree with you on this, I've lived all over and it's not "area specific" or "car specific". Assholes drive all kinds of brands.

I also think certain brands just stick out in people's minds more. You see a riced-out civic blowing through traffic everyone thinks "idiot teenager" and forgets it. If it's a nice BMW everyone assumes "rich asshole" and resents them.
      09-14-2016, 08:46 AM   #8
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts 128i 6m

When I bought my first red Porsche 944S2 almost 20 years ago I commented to my wife that I was getting honked at stoplights the moment it turned green from the person in the minivan behind me.

She thought I was nuts until it happened to her when she was running an errand in the Porsche. What was ironic was that our other cars were an RX-7 convertible, classic Firebird convertible, and her daily driver Legend Coupe. Only the Porsche got the rush treatment.
      09-14-2016, 11:47 AM   #9
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

I keep my left hand glued to the high beam stalk because I use it so often on the highway. Sometimes, I go the distance and raise my middle finger while triggering the high beams when behind a slower driver.
      09-16-2016, 08:52 AM   #10
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Panther View Post
I keep my left hand glued to the high beam stalk because I use it so often on the highway. Sometimes, I go the distance and raise my middle finger while triggering the high beams when behind a slower driver.
I usually save the finger for a serious rare infractions, for slow drivers in the left lane I have noticed a dirty look is all it takes.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2016, 07:19 PM   #11
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

For some reason, I am remembering the few simple pieces of advice I gave my kids when I was teaching them how to drive.

1. The only things that keeps cars from running into each other are the stripes of paint on the road and an agreement to yield according to a few simple rules printed in a book we all read once and then throw away.

2. Any a$$hole can drive fast enough to piss off or scare everyone else on the road. Don't be an a$$hole.

3. High performance driving requires smooth measured inputs. Don't stomp on the gas. Don't stomp on the brakes. Don't saw the steering wheel back and forth. Look ahead, plan ahead. Driving briskly is more fun than teetering on the edge of control, and will get you there sooner.

4. Never lose sight of the primary goal of driving somewhere in a car. Arrive alive.

Peace
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2016, 07:39 PM   #12
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanosrc
Quote:
I usually save the finger for a serious rare infractions, for slow drivers in the left lane I have noticed a dirty look is all it takes.
Hahaha I was just referring to this video!

09-18-2016, 10:36 AM   #13
TMR013
Opus Angelus
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

Quote:
Hahaha I was just referring to this video!

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2016, 11:12 AM   #14
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

I drive the same way other people drive; truckers, old ladies, women, learners, sales people.

YET

I'm a douchebag ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR013 View Post
At least in a lot of peoples minds.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 01:06 PM   #15
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

I cruise at redline and have not used indicators since buying the car. They emit such type of light that the poor people around me cannot see, so why bother?
      09-20-2016, 02:21 PM   #16
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

I don't let other drivers bother me and I hope I don't bother them. I try to have a positive demeanor when I'm driving because I'm usually out there having fun and I don't want that ruined by a bad attitude on my part or anyone else. Just want to enjoy my car and the road in front of me.

Edit: I'm not perfect though and neither is anybody else and sometimes the assholes out there really piss me off!

Last edited by Esteban; 09-20-2016 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
swagon13518.00
      09-20-2016, 04:48 PM   #17
five_timer
no turbo, no auto, no iDrive, no kidding
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanosrc View Post
This BMW stereotype thing is really just a myth IMHO. I live in Texas and I see asshole drivers in everything from muscle cars, to luxury cars and trucks. I believe it's relevant to where you are, here in Texas most of the asshats are in Camaros and jacked up diesel trucks that leave a trail of black smoke during acceleration.
I can see that. But in New England, when I see a car flying into a congested area, and then weaving in-between cars and going lane to lane, as if everyone else is a pylon, it's often a BMW. It makes sense; people buy BMWs over other similar cars, because they are more driver-oriented. So while you can argue whether a BMW is actually more capable of weaving through traffic, it's drivers tend to be more apt to do it.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 07:07 AM   #18
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep

I have two vehicles, my e88 and a Suzuki SUV. I drive the Zuk more because most of my miles are a 60 mile round trip commute to and from work and I'd rather wear out the Zuk. I have more trouble ignoring other jerk drivers in the e88. Because I can pass them, I want to. The Zuk has a V6 but it has less hp and more weight and makes more noise when pressed. I try to behave but I got cut off by two pickups and a SUV just this morning. I didn't retaliate but my speed got a bit high when I got an opening around them. For me, the easy ability to go fast is a temptation.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 07:08 AM   #19
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Cocks drive Audis now.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 03:28 PM   #20
five_timer
no turbo, no auto, no iDrive, no kidding
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Cocks drive Audis now.
I would imagine there'd be more of them, as Audi is offering more high-powered models than before.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 05:01 PM   #21
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by five_timer View Post
I would imagine there'd be more of them, as Audi is offering more high-powered models than before.

Appreciate 0