E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Can you put a remote starter in an e90

06-16-2005, 04:31 AM   #1
RachelS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Can you put a remote starter in an e90

Can you put a remote starter in an e90?

Good ?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2005, 05:18 AM   #2
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Well they key needs to be in the slot, or with comfort access the key must be in the car for it to start.

So unless you just leave your key in the car i would have to say no
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2005, 06:21 AM   #3
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

It might be possible though, if some geniuss could override the bmw security system. The problem, is then you wouldn't have the immobiliser, and your key would become obsolete. You would now need a system that could remote start, but completely replace the entire BMW ignition,locking and immobiliser system. A waste. Why do you want remote starting anyways? I see no benefit, other then making your car easier to steal...
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2005, 11:25 AM   #4
Llamaslayer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e60 530i

Quote:
It might be possible though, if some geniuss could override the bmw security system. The problem, is then you wouldn't have the immobiliser, and your key would become obsolete. You would now need a system that could remote start, but completely replace the entire BMW ignition,locking and immobiliser system. A waste. Why do you want remote starting anyways? I see no benefit, other then making your car easier to steal...
That <i>and</> being a cool guy and showing off in the parking lot when people are walking by... oh yeah haha
      06-16-2005, 03:18 PM   #5
RachelS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

winter....burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......warm........car. ....
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2005, 11:46 PM   #6
sergiodimarco
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken1
Its clear you dont live in a cold climate.
Benifits:
You keep your ass inside sipping coffee when its thirty degrees below zero, with a windchill factor making it feel like fifty below, till your cars engine, heating system and heated seats are ready to help you face yet another unbearable winter morning!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2005, 12:08 AM   #7
marcus330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6spd

Yeah....I think I'll just stay right here. No CWP for me.

Realtor Mobile: 6spd / Sport / Prem / Navi / ED 3-30-06
73 3.0s/84 528e/90 525i/97 M3 4dr/99 M3 Conv/2001 330i/2004 545i ED/2006 330i ED June 05
You're in control...is there anywhere you want to go ? -------------------------
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2005, 12:27 AM   #8
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus330i
Yeah....I think I'll just stay right here. No CWP for me.

ditto, sorry for all you cold weather folks

is this still a problem for cars in garages?????????????
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2005, 02:18 AM   #9
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiodimarco
Its clear you dont live in a cold climate.
Benifits:
You keep your ass inside sipping coffee when its thirty degrees below zero, with a windchill factor making it feel like fifty below, till your cars engine, heating system and heated seats are ready to help you face yet another unbearable winter morning!
Firing up a cold car and leaving it to idle until the heater works is just about the worst thing you can do to the engine. The colder the climate, the worse it is.
The wear on the engine is never as big as in cold idling conditions. You can just watch the usefull engine life withering away. One cup of coffee and an engine idling from cold start takes as much life out of the engine as 500miles at vmax with a properly warmed engine.

Proper cold starting means firing up, waiting 5 seconds for full oil pressure and then driving off at moderate loads and moderate RPMŽs. That minimiizese the damage that every cold start inflicts on the engine

Ever wonder how those Mercedes Diesel Taxi-Cabs in Stuttgart manage to rack up a million miles on the first engine? ItŽs not only the solid engineering, it`s the fact that those engines never get a chance to cool off.

If you want a warm car in the morning, how about an auxiliary heating system (you know the petrol heaters integrated into the cooling system). It can be remote started, heats up the coolant (and thereby the engine as well, greatly reducing the strain from a cold start), can start the ventilation to spread the heat and you donŽt have to mess with the carŽs security system.
ItŽs a dealer installed option in Europe. Please tell me something similar is available in the (colder) states and youŽre considering it.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2005, 09:55 AM   #10
330i06
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006

Thats funny, my friend has an M3 and there is a gauge in the car that tells if the car is ready to drive. In the winter you have to let it idle to warm up. Personally I don't really really understand why letting a cold car warm up is so damaging to your car. I would rather get into a nice warm car in the winter than freeze my balls off.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2005, 10:02 AM   #11
330i06
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken1
Is it possible to just buy an extra key and hide it in your dash? I know other cars that have a coded keys and still have remote starters. I 've had a remote starter in my car for years and I don't know how I could go through the winter without one.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2005, 10:21 AM   #12
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i06
Thats funny, my friend has an M3 and there is a gauge in the car that tells if the car is ready to drive. In the winter you have to let it idle to warm up. Personally I don't really really understand why letting a cold car warm up is so damaging to your car. I would rather get into a nice warm car in the winter than freeze my balls off.
That gauge in the M3 is not there to tell you when the car is ready to be driven off. ItŽs there to tell you when to give it full throttle and high revs.
The M3 is meant to be driven right off right after firing up, but at moderate throttle and moderate revs. The trick to minimizing engine wear is to warm it up gently but quickly. Gently by only using moderate power. Quickly by driving. ThereŽs nothing worse than leaving a car to warm up in idle. Thats for all gasoline or diesel powered engines, M3 too.
DonŽt be such a sissy , if you drive, your car will be warmed in a few minutes.
      08-22-2005, 10:22 AM   #13
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

Quote:
Is it possible to just buy an extra key and hide it in your dash?
And how are you going to explain that to the insurance when your car has been stolen?
      08-22-2005, 01:19 PM   #14
itznin
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

Quote:
Is it possible to just buy an extra key and hide it in your dash? I know other cars that have a coded keys and still have remote starters. I 've had a remote starter in my car for years and I don't know how I could go through the winter without one.

LOL not in jersey!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2005, 10:37 PM   #15
RYsE90
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

i looked into remote start too!! You would have to hide a key under your dash somewhere-- but thats one expensive key and if you have that convenience package your car might get confused when you get in or may have a problem with the doors locking/unlocking-- oh, and you better make sure you hide it well!!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2005, 10:57 PM   #16
govtec
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

i'll be picking up my car on oct 10th in munich. if its dealer installed option in europe, could i possibly have my us spec car be installed with the auxillary heating system after i pick it up from munich? how come i've never heard of this aux heating system in the states? we only have remote start to warm the cabin up in the winter. y do we have to be treated 2nd class to europe when it comes to technology. damn, where's the democracy in all of this? thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2005, 01:49 AM   #17
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by govtec
i'll be picking up my car on oct 10th in munich. if its dealer installed option in europe, could i possibly have my us spec car be installed with the auxillary heating system after i pick it up from munich? how come i've never heard of this aux heating system in the states? we only have remote start to warm the cabin up in the winter. y do we have to be treated 2nd class to europe when it comes to technology. damn, where's the democracy in all of this? thanks
The reason you donŽt have aux heaters is your damn legal system. A seperate gasoline driven heater (even though it works just fine in Europe) would imediately ignite houses, people, children and dogs as soon as it hits the shore of the US. The following lawsuits would bankrupt any automaker.

Oh well, there is allways the russion solution: A blow-torch held to the engine block

Carefull: The E90 has a magnesium block. Hold a blow torch to that and youŽll be seeing fireworks like never before...
      08-25-2005, 07:26 PM   #18
govtec
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

never heard of aux system before, that's y i didn't know it runs on gasoline. understandable y they didn't make it available in the states bc of the risk. however, there is no law that says it's illegal to have an aux system installed in the car. so, in my situation, i do ed and have it installed while i am in europe, it should be ok right?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2005, 07:39 PM   #19
Bananenboom
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

This is how it looks like in the European E90, you can control it by idrive and your mobile phone.

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2005, 11:51 PM   #20
govtec
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananenboom
This is how it looks like in the European E90, you can control it by idrive and your mobile phone.

can i have it installed in europe as an aftermarket system? this is what happens when fucktard americans start suing manufacturer for dumb reasons. :mad:
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2005, 05:23 PM   #21
govtec
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Rachel S and others, i've found a solution to the remote start problem! check this company out www.webasto.com, the product is german made and they sell interior heating units without starting the engine. they have something call "blue heat" that could be installed and remotely started with a fob or timer inside car. i called the closes dealer in my area and asking price for install is $1400! however, he needs to check to see if they have an adaptor for 06 3 series to make it work. i'll keep u posted!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2005, 05:33 PM   #22
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelS
winter....burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......warm........car. ....
or summer....OuchOuchSweatSweat...........cool....... ...car.....