BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-27-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
hotbmwfan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92

how to clean white residue from hood film

So now thats its spring, I did a thorough cleaning of my JB 128 last weekend. It took the better part of the weekend to claybar, clean, polish and wax. I have the clear paint protection fim on the front of the hood. After all that work, I now have a white residue build-up along the edge of the protection film. It looks like crap on the black paint. I tried to rub it off with a microfibre but it didn't help. I'm afraid to apply more pressure in case I cause swirl marks. Any suggestions on how to safely remove?
2010 M3 "Edition" model - Monte Carlo Blue/black, (1 of 13) MODS;255/35/19 and 285/30/19 Michelin PSS, Volk G25 wheels, MC V2 GTS lip, Eventuri plenum/intake/airbox lid, M Performance exhaust/spoiler/steering wheel
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 05:28 AM   #2
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

11. What can be done about wax build up along the seams and how can I avoid it? Are you sure it's wax and not the glue from the Clear Bra or dirt? As it gets warm, some of them will shrink a little and leave residue around the edges. Gently remove with an adhesive remover on a micro fibre towel. Be sure to go over any paint that you get the adhesive remover on with a protective wax; put a vinyl protection on any clear bra you get the adhesive remover on.

12. When waxing around a clear bra, mask off the line just a little over the edge with blue painter's tape. Wax will leave a white line on the seam, use painter’s tape to mask the seams before polishing / waxing and wax the film and uncovered portions separately to keep from wax build-up.

13. When you remove the tape just wipe off the wax on the paint. If you accidentally wax over the seam, use isopropyl alcohol (IPA) and a Q-Tip or a damp micro fibre towel and rub it off.

An extract from “Transparent Paint Protection (aka Clear Bra) , one of a series of 120 unbiased technical papers “The Science of Detailing”, a library of educational materials that has become the #1 reference for car care on the Internet

Chances are you'll learn something about detailing if you read any of these; although these articles will not improve your detailing skills, lead to a successful business or change your life. Applying what you learn from it, however, will. That's where your commitment comes in - you need to make a commitment to yourself right now that you will take action on what you learn.

TOGWT ™ Ltd (Established 1980) © Copyright 2002-2010, all rights reserved
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post

13. When you remove the tape just wipe off the wax on the paint. If you accidentally wax over the seam, use isopropyl alcohol (IPA) and a Q-Tip or a damp micro fibre towel and rub it off.
agreed, I'd try a q-tip with the IPA first. If you rub it with a microfibre towel you WILL marr the paint.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0