BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-03-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
romak47
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a bat out of hell

zaino not helping

I love zaino products and my car looks amazing after using it but i notice after a few washes i get swirl marks again..

I think i need a good sealant or somthing as a base coat and put zaino products ontop of it like zaio z2 and z5 etc..

Anyone know what would work as a good sealant and work with zaino products on top of it?

im assuming a good sealant would reduce my swirls i see..

oh yeah.. my car is BSM.. im very picky about seeing swirllys..
JB4, DCI, Digi boost, CSL eyelids, 5% tint, KW v2's. Bastuck 85mm quad w/ berk resonated mids, LED int ltg, Perf SSK, CF int trim, 19" SF-71 rims, CDV mod, BMS OCC, ER+tial charge pipe. AR DP's, Helix IC,meth, drilled slotted rotors
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
REVNU
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 WRX 2.2 Stroker

That sounds more like poor washing technique rather than the sealant. Go on over to Autopia.org and read up on their "How to Wash Your Car" FAQ.

I used ZAINO on my WRX which has notoriously soft paint and never instilled swirls from just washing my car. It's all in the technique and wash medium you're using.

What is happening after the few washes is that you're washing away all of the fillers from the sealant that "covered up" the swirls. I find Z-5 to be more like a Glaze than a sealant, most glazes have heavy fillers to reduce the appearance of swirls and fine scratches. The only way you're going to get rid of the swirls for good is to polish the paint. You many want to find a milder soap to wash the car. This will extend the life of the fillers in the Z-5.

IMO Z-5 does a great job of filling swirls and light scratches, it's also pretty durable and the fill durability is one of the best I've seen. I don't think you're going to find anything that is going to work any better.

I hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

IMO there's nothing yo can do to prevent them, just delay/reduce them. I use zaino with fairly good results, if you can live with the plastic/artificial looking shine (when compared to carnauba). The issue might not be what you're putting on it to protect it, but maybe how you wash it? There is a tonne of info out there on how to wash to minimise (not avoid) swirls. I generally keep the swirls away unless I forget and let the dealer wash it. yeah, mine is due for a power-polish (though only I can tell).
Appreciate 0