BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-18-2015, 12:26 PM   #45
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA135i View Post
Thanks Zombie for the info.

I change my oil every 6,000 miles. Would using Motul be overkill or doesn't it matter as long as it has the proper rating.
I think your fine running Motul. They make great fluids cant go wrong.
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 09:42 PM   #46
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Thanks Zombie for the info.

I change my oil every 6,000 miles. Would using Motul be overkill or doesn't it matter as long as it has the proper rating.
You can use any LL-01 approved oil without issue. Motul is a good oil and is LL-01 approved. It will not increase your horsepower, though it is a long lasting oil.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 05:58 PM   #47
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

Recently had an intercooler and tune installed at my indy shop and started talking about my next oil change. They had told me that they were using Motul oil but recently switched to Total oil. Anybody use this. Seems to be fine reading the specs.
Attached Images

Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 06:55 AM   #48
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Recently had an intercooler and tune installed at my indy shop and started talking about my next oil change. They had told me that they were using Motul oil but recently switched to Total oil. Anybody use this. Seems to be fine reading the specs.
I hope they are not using that version of their oil. The only two grades of Total that are LL-01 approved are the 5W-40 and 0W-30 "Energy" grades.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2015, 08:18 AM   #49
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I have not used it yet. I suppose my Indy shop knows which is the proper oil for my car.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 10:19 AM   #50
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have not used it yet. I suppose my Indy shop knows which is the proper oil for my car.
I guess so, as long as they don't put in any of the 5W-30 grades you would be okay. None of the 5W-30 grades by Total are LL-01 approved.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 11:17 AM   #51
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I just made an appointment at the dealer for my next oil change end of this month.
I have a coupon from them so, might as well use it and not worry about wrong oil being used in my 1er.
5w30 is the preferred grade for our cars so using Total would change that. Where I live the NE 5w30 makes the most sense.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 04:05 PM   #52
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 N55 E88

Can we open this up again?
(No? I understand...)

Bought my 45kmi 2012 135i in June and getting ready to perform my first oil change.

I ran Mobil1 full synthetic 15w50 in my VR6 Jetta and their European Formula 0w-40 in my V6 M-B for years to great effect - but I understand that it is an inferior product and even though the 0-40 is LL-01 approved, the temperatures, pressures, and by-products generated inside our direct-injected turbocharged N55s far exceed the stresses those NA engines would put on their lubricants.

I've done a TON of reading here and over on BITOG, but it looks like some of the info is getting dated, and I want to make sure I'm getting the best stuff I can for my USA N55 135i without paying outrageously or shipping all the way from Europe.

A search on the Castrol site recommends Edge 5w-30 A3/B4, but this is only API SL and does not mention LL-01.
Scanning through the Castrol oils at Pep/O'Reilly/AZ online - they put the Edge name on everything now, and they don't list which ones meet BMW LL-01, MB 229.5, Porsche A40, or even API SN. But their full synthetic Edge products tend to run $9-$10/quart in my area.
Can you advise which current Castrol product is the "GC" SN/LL-01 good stuff?

I can get Motul 8100 x-cess 5w-40, which is API SN / BMW LL-01, for about $8/liter from the retail side of a couple local repair shops.

It looks like LiquiMoly upgraded their Leichtlauf High Tech 5w-40 to SN / LL-01 approval. It's $6.84/liter on sale at my local Napa.

AMSOIL European Car Formula 5w-40 (full-SAPS) is like $8/qt at a different local shop.
What would explain the drastic cost difference between the Full-SAPS and mid-SAPS version of AMSOIL European? (Mid is LL-04 while full is LL-01, so I'm looking at the cheaper one. But - weird.)

Given the choice, if I find the full-synthetic, LL-01 approved, 5w40 version of each - is there truly any great difference between the Castrol, Motul, Amsoil and Liquid Moly products? Or should I buy based on local availability and price and be happy?
But I do need help figuring out WHICH Castrol is the current one to compare.
Thanks!

Last edited by tjswarbrick; 10-19-2015 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 10:18 PM   #53
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep

I went to a retail outlet that stocks the stuff and answered my own question :
Castrol Edge (formerly Syntec) SAE 5w-40 u.s. in the black bottle is API SN and BMW Longlife 01. With the case discount price is on par with the other stuff, it's in Stock, and "BMW recommends Castrol" so I picked some up.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 06:30 AM   #54
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjswarbrick View Post
I went to a retail outlet that stocks the stuff and answered my own question :
Castrol Edge (formerly Syntec) SAE 5w-40 u.s. in the black bottle is API SN and BMW Longlife 01. With the case discount price is on par with the other stuff, it's in Stock, and "BMW recommends Castrol" so I picked some up.
The API specification is really meaningless when it comes to Euro oils and the ACEA specifications, so you can ignore it for your BMW.

Castrol's 0W-40 is really their flagship oil and a better formulation than the 5W-40, so I would choose it first (and it is the same price).

Really though, any LL-01 rated oil will work and is good. Buy the cheapest one.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2015, 08:21 AM   #55
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
The API specification is really meaningless when it comes to Euro oils and the ACEA specifications, so you can ignore it for your BMW.

Castrol's 0W-40 is really their flagship oil and a better formulation than the 5W-40, so I would choose it first (and it is the same price).

Really though, any LL-01 rated oil will work and is good. Buy the cheapest one.

Thank you.
Is that 0w-40 the SPT?
I didn't see that one but will be back there in a couple days to pick up my special - order oil filter, so I'll take another look.

Now that I know what to look for I see their gold bottle 0w-40 Edge A3/B4 is SN, Ll-01 for prestige and performance vehicles in Europe. There are no stockists within 100km of my location! So that's probably what I want...
Looks like that was the Aussie stuff.
My 5w-40 was made in USA.

Any idea where I could find the German Ll-01 0w-40 in Northern California?

Last edited by tjswarbrick; 10-20-2015 at 09:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 11:36 AM   #56
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you.
Is that 0w-40 the SPT?
I didn't see that one but will be back there in a couple days to pick up my special - order oil filter, so I'll take another look.

Now that I know what to look for I see their gold bottle 0w-40 Edge A3/B4 is SN, Ll-01 for prestige and performance vehicles in Europe. There are no stockists within 100km of my location! So that's probably what I want...
Looks like that was the Aussie stuff.
My 5w-40 was made in USA.

Any idea where I could find the German Ll-01 0w-40 in Northern California?
Walmart carries 5Q jugs of Castrol Edge 0W-40 (black bottle) for around $23.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2015, 11:53 AM   #57
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Walmart carries 5Q jugs of Castrol Edge 0W-40 (black bottle) for around $23.
Oh man. I really try to avoid that place. But if they're the only ones with what I need, I guess I'll be making a run. At least there's one close to home.
I tried Napa today, and they had 3 acceptable-weight synthetic Liqui Moly's on the shelf. One was LL-04, one LL-98, and one LL-01, but none were Leichtlauf High Tech - so I passed. Said the nearest store that had any was in Tennessee! He also thought they had Castrol 0-40 in the back, but were out.
Ah well - the 5w-40 should do nicely in my wife's VQ-engine'd Pathfinder...
Thanks again! I really appreciate it.
Who knew it would be so tough locating the right oil for a 3 year old car?!?

Last edited by tjswarbrick; 10-20-2015 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 11:05 AM   #58
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

well.....let my indy shop change my oil for the first time and they used Total 5W30 LL-04. I called them to ask if they should have used LL-01 but they said I should be perfectly fine as long as I do 5K oil changes. They said it's better oil and they use it in their cars. I guess I should trust them, they have been in business for about 10 years.. just thought I'd share.

Last edited by PA135i; 03-18-2016 at 12:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 11:24 AM   #59
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep

Quote:
well.....let my indy shop change my oil for the first time and they used Total 5W30 LL-04. I called them to ask if they should have used LL-01 but they said I should be perfectly fine as long as I do 5-6K oil changes. They said it's better oil and they use it in their cars. I guess I should trust them, they have been in business for about 10 years.. just thought I'd share.
Curious - are they a BMW house? Or just an all-makes local indy garage? Many of those guys don't know our cars as well as they perhaps ought to, and recommend what they are able to get easily to fit the broadest range of customers. I go for 6k changes with the LL-01, but they'd surely tell me that's excessive.
I doubt running the LL-04 stuff once is going to cause any catastrophic failure, but I don't have any problem telling my shop what to put in my car. I used to bring Euro Mobil1 to a local oil-change spot. After about a year and a half of that they started carrying it themselves!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 11:57 AM   #60
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Curious - are they a BMW house? Or just an all-makes local indy garage? Many of those guys don't know our cars as well as they perhaps ought to, and recommend what they are able to get easily to fit the broadest range of customers. I go for 6k changes with the LL-01, but they'd surely tell me that's excessive.
I doubt running the LL-04 stuff once is going to cause any catastrophic failure, but I don't have any problem telling my shop what to put in my car. I used to bring Euro Mobil1 to a local oil-change spot. After about a year and a half of that they started carrying it themselves!
LL-04 oil is a Low SAPS oil, with a lower TBN/lower ash content. It is mainly designed for use with high purity/lower sulfur gasoline that they use in Europe.

With the higher sulfur content gasoline we have in the US, the oil breaks down faster, so it can only be used for shorter change intervals.

I would use just about any LL-01 oil in your BMW, irregardless of brand for any daily driver. You can use an LL-04 oil, but I would not exceed 5,000 miles (and use top tier gas) and would recommend you only use it occasionally if you must.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 12:16 PM   #61
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LL-04 oil is a Low SAPS oil, with a lower TBN/lower ash content. It is mainly designed for use with high purity/lower sulfur gasoline that they use in Europe.

With the higher sulfur content gasoline we have in the US, the oil breaks down faster, so it can only be used for shorter change intervals.

I would use just about any LL-01 oil in your BMW, irregardless of brand for any daily driver. You can use an LL-04 oil, but I would not exceed 5,000 miles (and use top tier gas) and would recommend you only use it occasionally if you must.
They seem to be pretty strict about changing the oil at 5K. And they seem to know their stuff. I can tell when I speak to them. They said it is "a better grade of oil" than LL-01. They are a European car repair shop. But primarily work on BMW's . but they service Porches, Audi.. etc.
I use Top Tier gasoline at every fill up and have been since June 2015.

I don't think I have anything to worry about as they use it and have for years at their shop.

I don't know.. that's why I shared this I wanted you guys to weigh in. Just like to know for sure if it's OK.

Last edited by PA135i; 03-18-2016 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 12:50 PM   #62
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by BMW house. But, they work on BMW's all the time. And mostly work on BMW's but also work on other brands like Audi .. etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 01:05 PM   #63
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA135i
Quote:

They seem to be pretty strict about changing the oil at 5K. And they seem to know their stuff. I can tell when I speak to them. They said it is "a better grade of oil" than LL-01. They are a European car repair shop. But primarily work on BMW's . but they service Porches, Audi.. etc.
I use Top Tier gasoline at every fill up and have been since June 2015.

I don't think I have anything to worry about as they use it and have for years at their shop.

I don't know.. that's why I shared this I wanted you guys to weigh in. Just like to know for sure if it's OK.
I would not say LL-04 is better. It has less additives in it that protect the engine from our crappy North American fuel. Those same additives can lead to some cat damage if burning oil. So basically, LL-01 is better for the engine, LL-04 is better for the cat and emissions.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2016, 01:12 PM   #64
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
I would not say LL-04 is better. It has less additives in it that protect the engine from our crappy North American fuel. Those same additives can lead to some cat damage if burning oil. So basically, LL-01 is better for the engine, LL-04 is better for the cat and emissions.
But I use top tier gasoline at every fill up. Would this not be a factor. I also change my oil at 5K. Does this make it a wash? (a tie)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 01:29 PM   #65
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
But I use top tier gasoline at every fill up. Would this not be a factor. I also change my oil at 5K. Does this make it a wash? (a tie)
It would help some, but the sulfur levels are still higher than what you find in Europe. LL-04 is not a better oil than LL-01, just different.

For your OCI it probably makes no difference, though I would still prefer an LL-01 oil for our cars compared to an LL-04 oil.

Send a used sample to Blackstone after an oil change to see what the TBN level looks like, plus any wear metals, if you would like a more definitive answer.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2016, 02:13 PM   #66
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Top tier does not matter. All of our gas in North America is bog water compared to fuels in the EU.
Appreciate 0