BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-12-2020, 03:57 PM   #1
Dazzlin
Rep
Drives: 135i

Exclamation Total total newbie: So new I posted in the wrong group! Help desperately needed :)

Hi everyone,

I'm almost certain the following statement has been uttered a million or so times in the past, so let me put you in the picture.

2009 135i owner. Driven in the summers. Complete factory spec.

Do my own oil changes, brakes, plugs (etc) - everything always going excellent.

Checked the brake fluid the other day and thought "Hmmm... might want to change that" -- so I looked online and saw a fab video of a guy using INPA to assist in a brake fluid change. Looked awesome!

I'm not a mod-hungry kinda driver, and I love that my car is still in factory spec.

Having said that, I would like to 'dip my toe' into the 'custom coding world' and would like to make the very small modification(s) of having my mirrors fold in using the comfort settings on the handle / keyfob and also to have the keyfob close up the windows on locking.

Herein lies the $64,000 question: WHICH SOFTWARE PACKAGE SHOULD I INSTALL AND USE?

I almost feel that I have watched every youtube video of someone loading a different set of applications, read more on the subject than I have ever read books in my life and - other than many personal preferences - I have yet to find any real consensus on "You should use this, and it'll work"

I've got myself the K+DCAN cable, a nice newish laptop I'm happy to install any OS on and after then my brain starts to hurt... The cable does work as I have managed to read a very small amount from my car - so I feel confident about that.

The cable came with the first versions of INPA.... 5.0.1 and 5.0.2 - which I closely followed a YouTube video and got connected but doesn't seem to work exceptionally well (my experience). Something about how the INPA version on the Laptop and the car were incompatible...

Then I downloaded "Mikes Easy BMW Tools" but couldn't get it to run (at least in my experience)....?

Bimmergeeks had a mocked up version of the BMW Standard Tools - which kinda worked, but I don't speak German... and it looks more stressful that perhaps it is? Whatever this is uses a newer version of INPA but I found myself using it a little but being completely unsure of myself...

Hopefully by this point you're seeing where I'm going with my story: I'm not a complicated kinda guy, not looking to custom map every inch of my car or reinvent the wheel... Just want a nice diagnostics application that will help me change the brake fluid (among other things) and the most relevant version of NCS Exper(t) that'll help me make the mods I'm looking for.

Can someone, anyone, say "I've got a similar car, this is my set up and it works. Download this [exact] package from [place], install it and do X, Y and Z"

Happy to follow any YouTube directions or anything --- but at the very least I'm looking for your experiences... What IS the newest / most stable / best software package out there that'll work with my (our) cars .

Very, very thankful in advance guys.

Dazza
Appreciate 1
c0bra185.00
      07-12-2020, 04:16 PM   #2
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

You're going to get a lot of advice to use either Carly, or ProTool or the BMW Standard Tools suite (which includes INPA, NCSExpert, NCS Dummy and more).

I went with the Std Tools package off of Bimmergeeks website and have had good luck accomplishing what I want done. Also bought their cable because they have a low to zero failure rate.

Here's my take on Std Tools - does have more of a learning curve than something like Carly. And I've yet to find a version of INPA with mostly English. NCSExpert and NCS Dummy are enough in English to be workable. NCS Dummy is really powerful and the name is a bit misleading because you can do more with it than NCSExpert (example coding blinkers to flash 5 times with one touch). I haven't used Winkpf or the BMW Coding Tool. I understand learning how to use BMW Coding Tool can make coding easier than using NCSExpert or NCS Dummy. Also, I haven't thought very seriously about flashing any modules because haven't needed to - and it's easier to brick a module.

People who know Carly or ProTool hopefully will chime in here and give you a basis to decide which way to go.
      07-12-2020, 04:24 PM   #3
Dazzlin
Rep

Hi gjm120,

Thanks so much for the reply. So, in this instance, you're saying the Bimmergeeks tools (which I can find at https://www.bimmergeeks.net/downloads) are what you use?

Fresh install of windows, one download from Bimmergeeks, install and "voila"? (Well, so to speak).

Do you use any particular version of Windows? 7? XP? 10... etc etc

Thanks so much for the reply and advice

All the best
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 04:37 PM   #4
Shortedaman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzlin View Post
Hi gjm120,

Thanks so much for the reply. So, in this instance, you're saying the Bimmergeeks tools (which I can find at https://www.bimmergeeks.net/downloads) are what you use?

Fresh install of windows, one download from Bimmergeeks, install and "voila"? (Well, so to speak).

All the best
I used Carly. it is by far the easiest way to change the types of coding you want to do. it is very user friendly, and it makes a back up of everything, so you can undue something if you need to. I coded in folding mirrors, European hazard lights, and tapping the turn signal once makes them blink 3 times. also since you have a 135i I believe you can also code out the muffler silence flap thing. making your exhaust a wee bit louder.
Appreciate 1
c0bra185.00
      07-12-2020, 05:02 PM   #5
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Hi gjm120,

All the best

Yes but, technically it's a Standard Tools that Bimmergeeks has linked. This is not Bimmergeeks' software, they just provide a link. You mentioned you downloaded Mikes Easy BMW Tools. This is just a different version of the same thing. From what I know the Mikes Easy BMW Tools works, but, my experience is with the download from the Bimmergeeks.

I've got a Windows 7 machine I use only for diagnostics and coding. It doesn't get on the internet anymore since Win 7 is no longer being supported. However, the Bimmergeeks' linked download works on Win 10 machines. I've actually put it on a Win 10 machine just to do 'dry run' coding.

To see what's involved with the Standard Tools package, search for tutorials on INPA (diagnostics) and NCSExpert, NCS Dummy. It's all a bit confusing at first because of all the terminology, but, isn't that bad once you get into it. You can do the same for Carly and ProTools.

The Carly and ProTool options are certainly more user friendly than INPA, NCSE et al. They will cost more.
      07-12-2020, 05:56 PM   #6
Dazzlin
Rep

Thanks for the replies gentlemen... Well thanks to your replies I at least have a good start. It's nice to be directed to at least one source (Bimmergeeks) for the standard tools, rather than hear "You should use INPA 5.0.2 and upload this profile/hack etc" and then hear something conflicting from someone else...

Though I will read into the iCarly as suggested. On first glance that appears at lease user friendly without any noted pitfalls... That's all I'm looking for... simple way to bleed brakes and unlock those couple of features for the mirrors

My only 'drawback' with iCarly (and this is just my paranoia)...using the standard tools has some degree of 'original BMW settings' about it... Can anyone confirm if using iCarly is EXACTLY the same thing... there's no weird modding / trace that comes as a result of using iCarly is there?

Just a purist for factory specs - that's all
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 07:01 PM   #7
Shortedaman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i

Quote:
Thanks for the replies gentlemen... Well thanks to your replies I at least have a good start. It's nice to be directed to at least one source (Bimmergeeks) for the standard tools, rather than hear "You should use INPA 5.0.2 and upload this profile/hack etc" and then hear something conflicting from someone else...

Though I will read into the iCarly as suggested. On first glance that appears at lease user friendly without any noted pitfalls... That's all I'm looking for... simple way to bleed brakes and unlock those couple of features for the mirrors

My only 'drawback' with iCarly (and this is just my paranoia)...using the standard tools has some degree of 'original BMW settings' about it... Can anyone confirm if using iCarly is EXACTLY the same thing... there's no weird modding / trace that comes as a result of using iCarly is there?

Just a purist for factory specs - that's all
yes, they are factory specs. you have to buy the carly for your specific model car. it uses the same files as all the others but makes it super user friendly. I'd think for what you are trying to accomplish you don't need anything to technical. you're literally just unlocking things that are already there.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 12:23 AM   #8
lemansblau135is
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 135is

Garage List
2013 bmw 135is  [0.00]
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you and bought the Bimmergeeks originally to code and register a new battery. I chose it for ease of use and the fact you only have to buy it once. I think carly is on a yearly subscription. It was on sale with the app, the cable, and bluetooth adapter. The only problem I had was the bluetooth connection was spotty at best and the cable was stable. Now I just use the cable.
Appreciate 1
c0bra185.00
      07-13-2020, 10:05 AM   #9
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

I don't think Carly can bleed brakes... I'll have to double check though.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 10:05 PM   #10
c0bra
Commander ;)
United_States
Rep
Drives: E88 N54

Also in a similar boat to OP and lemansblau135is !

I use a Bimmergeeks cable originally purchased for MHD. Probably watched the same YouTube video as OP showing INPA brake bleed, which then got me interested in Standard Tools. Currently have the version from Bimmergeeks link, which is the second version I have tried. The first version worked, but BG version seems cleaner.

I was able to check new battery registration and can get through the menus to bleed the DSC module (haven't done the service yet). Note the INPA brake bleed is really a DSC/ABS bleed, meant to remove air and change fluid in the DSC unit. Still purchased a Motul bleeder, and I'll use that along with the INPA bleed and 2L ATE fluid for a full flush. Also started messing with Dr Gini for diagnostics, seems pretty cool.

Have yet to try coding, and I'm still considering Carly or ProTool for ease of use. If I decide I can't figure out NCS Expert/Dummy, I'm leaning towards ProTool for the one time purchase. Interested to hear from dtla1 in regards to Carly capability. I've searched high and low but cannot confirm if ProTool or Carly can run the bleeding procedure.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 11:11 AM   #11
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Yeah, I don't see automated brake bleeding procedure as an option in Carly.
Appreciate 1
c0bra185.00
      07-16-2020, 02:51 PM   #12
c0bra
Commander ;)
United_States
Rep
Drives: E88 N54

ProTool

Anyone out there with ProTool that could comment?
Appreciate 0