BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-21-2020, 12:07 PM   #1
Billytehbob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

Fuel Gauge rising when turning car to "ON"

I've been dealing with this for the past couple weeks, and I'm not sure if it's the fuel level sensor or not, but here goes:

I initially noticed that my fuel level would read higher than when I started a drive. Normally that'd be cool, if it was indicative of some weird fuel filling my tank for free, but obviously that's not whats happening. A longer drive would cause the needle to swing up and above the Full hashmark, and not stopping until it swings into the speedo needle shaft, which would cause the speedo to not rise above 22mph or so. Not cool. The gauge will also tick up every time the car is turned to "ON," regardless the ignition was started.

I've no idea, but I suspect it may be a faulty fuel level sensor, but it also coincided with me replacing the fuel line on the pump. Thinking something may be jamming the float and causing erratic operation, I removed the bucket today, reinstalled it and the lines as to not cause any interference with the float, and no dice.

Has anyone run into a similar issue before? Again, I'm positive the sending unit crapped out on me, but I'm not in a rush to purchase a new one just yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 12:34 PM   #2
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i E88

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Not same issue, but everytime I take my lpfp out, I would make sure the float was situated properly when reinstalling it. But would always read 1/2- 3/4 of a tank and I always emptied my tank pretty good before messing with the pump. But after filling the tank it would settle back to normal. Advise I got on here about it is that maybe the float is hanging up on something. You might want to pull the filter and put it back in taking the float position into account
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 12:21 PM   #3
Billytehbob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

Yeah, I pulled all that, tanks nearly empty, but still giving me grief, but showing 3/4 and rising, lol.

Figured I'd disconnect the Level sensor, and gauge no longer popping up every time the car is turned on. So, for now, no chance on impeding the speedo, gonna order a new fuel level sensor and hopefully that does the trick.

Last edited by Billytehbob; 07-22-2020 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 0