BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-29-2020, 10:27 AM   #1
dee0007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, BMW X5 G05

Injector or HPFP failure?

Im not sure if its my injector that's failing or my hpfp, Im getting codes 29CD - Combustion misfires, cylinder 1, 2AAF Fuel pump, plausibility and 2E18 - Firing Cylinder 1. its on limp mode now. Can i switch the injector 1 and 2 to see if im getting cylinder 2 misfire to determine if in fact it is the injector thats the issue? and can i do that without replacing the rings and decompressor rings simply to diagnose? or can i casue damage this way?

My original issue was after hard acceleration especially on the highway the car was choking / shaking. I have replaced the coils and spark plugs , which seemed to fix the issue for a month. few days ago i accelerated hard again and it went into limp mode and i am getting the codes above.

Beforfe the limp mode I also got a code 29D9 Misfire at low tank fill level. prior and in addition the the codes above.

Any suggestions? if it was the HPFP failing wouldnt I have issues with more than 1 cylinder?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 01:19 PM   #2
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee0007 View Post
Im not sure if its my injector that's failing or my hpfp, Im getting codes 29CD - Combustion misfires, cylinder 1, 2AAF Fuel pump, plausibility and 2E18 - Firing Cylinder 1. its on limp mode now. Can i switch the injector 1 and 2 to see if im getting cylinder 2 misfire to determine if in fact it is the injector thats the issue? and can i do that without replacing the rings and decompressor rings simply to diagnose? or can i casue damage this way?

My original issue was after hard acceleration especially on the highway the car was choking / shaking. I have replaced the coils and spark plugs , which seemed to fix the issue for a month. few days ago i accelerated hard again and it went into limp mode and i am getting the codes above.

Beforfe the limp mode I also got a code 29D9 Misfire at low tank fill level. prior and in addition the the codes above.

Any suggestions? if it was the HPFP failing wouldnt I have issues with more than 1 cylinder?
I assume you tried swapping the coils before going straight to injector? Yes I have had the fuel pump failure but was not just one cylinder if I recall. The car ran incredibly rough. Again I assume you tried that first. I'm pretty sure bmw recommends new ring if you pull out injector but it might be fine. If you think injector is bad try some diagnostic with obd scanner first if you already tried coils.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 02:04 PM   #3
dee0007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, BMW X5 G05

I'm thinking it's more of a hpfp issue since I'm getting more codes (see attached)

Plus the car is in limp mode and running rough.
After clearing codes car goes into limp mode right away.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 09:52 AM   #4
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
My HPFP and injectors failed at the same time. Warranty covered injectors, but not HPFP.

I was also getting misfires, which did not go away completely with new coils and plugs which I did myself. The plugs were fouled badly, and needed replacement. I was also noticing long cranks on start if the engine had run recently.

Are you able to monitor lamda when driving? Cob or MHD will do this, and I think there are other OBD plug-in monitors that allow it. If so, lamda should go to 255 (max reading) immediately when coasting off accelerator in gear because fuel is cut completely in that situation as long as engine speed is above approx 1200rpm. Leaky injectors will keep spilling fuel and you will see lamdas all over the place. I was able to see this on my Cobb at the time, but the dealer still had to follow their protocol and test the HPFP first, then replace it and test the injectors.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 05:36 PM   #5
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

If you have a way to monitor fuel pressures on both the low and high side, try to do that first.

What index are your injectors? Anything less than 12 then you should consider upgrading them.

For misfires, swapping the ignition coils and see if the misfires migrate with it can help you determine if they are bad.
Appreciate 0