BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-06-2020, 01:59 AM   #1
vicious_e82
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i M-Sport

Comfort Access and Key not working properly...

First off I’d like to say that I am not sure exactly where to post this, but this seemed like the most relevant place.

I picked up a 135i US spec coupe early this year and have been slowly going through the process of cleaning it up and getting everything working the way that it should...

One of the last things on my list is getting the key functioning properly again. When I bought the car it only came with one key. This key IS a comfort access key however it does not work with any of the comfort access functions on my car AND the lock and unlock buttons don’t function at all. I have to use the physical blade key to unlock the door and then insert the fob into the slot on the dash to start the car. I’ve tried replacing the battery and this didn’t change anything. I was planning on just spending the money at the dealer and buying a new Comfort Access key and having them code it to my car however today I was at AutoZone and tried out my key on the little “key tester” they have at the counter, and surprisingly it was sending signal just fine to their receiver. I am not wondering if there is something wrong with the car instead of the key, or potentially it’s a used key from a different car (from what I understand these can never be recorded to get comfort access working on another car but CAN be coded to start another car...

I am looking for advice on any way to check if the comfort access receivers in the vehicle end are working properly and or check to see if there is something wrong with the key. I have no problem spending the $600 on a new key toxget these things working again, but it would be infuriating to spend thatxkind of money on a new key only to find out that the new one doesn’t work either because there’s something wrong on the cars end. What would the logical next steps be and is there any more cost effective way of getting myself a new comfort access key?

Thanks all, Sam
      08-13-2020, 02:44 AM   #2
vicious_e82
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i M-Sport

Anybody?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 10:56 AM   #3
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
I was going to say take it to a dealership and have them do a key read to determine what car it is from, but if you can start the car with the fob in the slot, then it is coded for your car. Sometimes you can re-initialize the comfort-access key to the car by following a procedure you can Google, and some years require the dealer to plug the car in to perform initialization. Maybe your car's previous owner replaced the key and never had it initialized?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 09:21 AM   #4
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Also check the comfort access module in the trunk, located under the oil storage cubby on teh passenger side (you have to remove all the liners).

It's a common fault for water to leak (from a bad taillight seal or similar) onto the module and fry it...ask me how I know

I bought a used one from eBay and cleaned up the connectors and it runs fine. I'm sure I should have coded it first but after a few start / stops of the car it started working. Should still probably code it so it doesn't keep some modules awake for longer than they need to when shutting hte car down but I've been lazy.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 11:58 AM   #5
Tut4u2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M3 Conversion

Unfortunately, the easiest way to diagnose this is via ISTA as you can read any error codes associated with the CA module and identify which slot the key is in. For a CA key to work, it needs to be in one of the first 3 slots of the CAS. Secondly, the key itself needs to be a CA key. If you search on FB Marketplace or Craigslist, you can find local keysmiths that can cut you a new key and resolve issues with your existing keys for ~$250.
Appreciate 0