BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: Do We Bring Back the APEX AERO-7 Wheel Design?
Yes, I prefer the AERO-7 design over your current wheel designs 8 22.86%
Yes, I prefer the AERO-7 fitment over your current wheel fitments 2 5.71%
No, I prefer the ARC-8 design 13 37.14%
No, I prefer the EC-7 design 12 34.29%
No, I do not like the fitment offered 0 0%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

03-01-2019, 02:06 PM   #1
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

► Do We Bring Back the APEX AERO-7 Wheel Design?

Do We Bring Back The APEX AERO-7 Design?

It’s been many years since we’ve produced our AERO-7 wheel design. Many of you may be seeing this design for the first time, however, we’ve received quite a few requests to bring it back over the years. Since we now have a larger team, we can focus our attention on niche projects like this once again and therefore we are checking in to see if the demand is real. So, do we bring back the AERO-7 design? You decide. Let us know by answering the poll above and leaving a comment down below

History of the AERO-7

With the release of the 1-series, enthusiasts flocked to the new agile BMW chassis and quickly started searching for aftermarket wheel options. It was soon realized that the 1-series chassis required a very niche fitment that many aftermarket wheel companies were not willing to support. 1 series owners were forced to adopt wheels aimed at the 3 series community which compromised their fitment.

APEX was quick to provide a solution, which first came in the form of a staggered (and square) 18" ARC-8 configuration; 18x8.5" ET45 front and 18x9.5" ET58" rear. The objective of this staggered fitment was to maximize wheel and tire widths with relatively little to no modification needed, and to accomplish this, offsets had to be perfected through multiple rounds of fitment testing. The wheels use just about all of the available real estate under the fenders allowing performance driving enthusiasts to increase their tire widths to 235/40-18 front and 265/35-18 rear. Depending on vehicle ride height and tire brand, 275/35-18's could even be used out back. Although this staggered fitment remains extremely popular amongst performance junkies and weekend track warriors to this day (and later released in our EC-7 design), inner and outer tolerances are tight and a large portion of the community desired something a little more conservative.

The AERO-7 wheel was first released in late 2010 to provide aforementioned enthusiasts with an extremely versatile and user-friendly staggered fitment which could accommodate both stock and popular “+1” tire sizing (225/40-18 / 255/35-18). Wheel widths were designed to be ½” wider than stock, and when we compare that to the ARC-8’s mentioned above which were 1” wider than stock, the result is extra inner and outer clearance. This is especially important to the high volume of enthusiasts running aftermarket suspension designs that compromise front inner wheel and tire clearance like KW, Bilstein and Ohlins. Not only did the AERO-7 provide the community with a fresh look; it gained popularity due to its versatility and functionality.

As APEX pushed into new chassis and markets, production space and resources were reallocated and we eventually stopped making the AERO-7.

Technical Information

Wheel Specifications
  • 18x8” ET45
  • 18x9” ET50

Tire Size Recommendations
  • 225/40-18
  • 255/35-18

We recommend the “+1” tire sizing above to leverage the ½” added wheel width over stock. When discussing optimum tire sizing with inquiring customers, many indicate that they recently purchased new tires in the stock sizes or have an existing set with plenty of life remaining that they would like to re-use. Stock 215/40-18 front and 245/35-18 rear tires can absolutely be used, and once they wear, we recommend stepping up to the recommended tire sizes listed above.

These configurations are designed to be a direct bolt-on solution for both stock and modified 1-series models. No spacers or fender rolling is required.

Do you have aftermarket suspension?
Many 1-series customers are running KW, Bilsteins, Ohlins or other suspensions that are known to compromise inner clearance. On a chassis that already has such tight tolerances, this significantly limits aftermarket wheel options for people looking to upgrade. Our AERO-7 wheels are designed to clear those suspensions without the need for additional modifications like spacers.

Finish Options
We are considering the following 4 finishes. We can’t make them all, so you can help us decide which to produce. Comment below.
  • Anthracite
  • Hyper Silver
  • Hyper Black
  • Satin Black

APEX Standard

Flow-Formed
All APEX wheels, including the AERO-7 wheel, are produced using the Flow-Forming technique. This process significantly reduces weight in the barrel, which has the greatest impact on rotational mass. The end result of the Flow-Forming process is a lightweight and extremely strong barrel that equals that of a traditional forged wheel at a fraction of the cost.

OEM Compatible
Our AERO-7 wheels are fully compatible with OEM components. It’s designed to work with factory roundel center caps, and it can be used with all OEM and aftermarket mounting hardware with a 60° tapered seat. Lug bolts, wheel locks, and stud conversion kits all work perfectly. It also accepts OEM and aftermarket equivalent BMW TPMS sensors, and any standard sized metal or rubber valve stem.

Tested and Certified
APEX wheels are crush and load tested to exceed JWL standards and those results are independently tested in Japan by the 3rd party government agency known as the VIA. Countless wheel companies falsely claim they are tested and certified by the VIA, and so they lack the certificates to prove it.

Pictures

03-01-2019, 03:27 PM   #2
rowsdower
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport

No, offer the EC7 in 17" please.
Appreciate 3
hellrotm4142.50
John_01232.00
dtla1826.00
      03-01-2019, 04:44 PM   #3
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Any pictures of the anthracite or hyper black on a space gray 1er?
      03-03-2019, 04:04 PM   #4
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
It would be great if you brought back the Aero7 or did the Arc 8 in the figment noted for those of us with aftermarket suspension.
      03-07-2019, 08:38 PM   #5
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

It seems like a good idea to offer these 8" and 9" width specs, but I'm not sure the design is agressive enough to have wide appeal. If you can re-tool, maybe make a version with less curvy spokes. Personally I'd like a set if can make them in 17" instead of 18".
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 05:02 PM   #6
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post
No, offer the EC7 in 17" please.
Appreciate the feedback about the 17" wheels. Something we are keeping an eye on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Any pictures of the anthracite or hyper black on a space gray 1er?
Check out our flickr page here for more APEX and 1 series content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
It would be great if you brought back the Aero7 or did the Arc 8 in the figment noted for those of us with aftermarket suspension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_01 View Post
It seems like a good idea to offer these 8" and 9" width specs, but I'm not sure the design is agressive enough to have wide appeal. If you can re-tool, maybe make a version with less curvy spokes. Personally I'd like a set if can make them in 17" instead of 18".
Thank you both for the feedback. It's good to know that there is interest for those fitments.

-Matt
      05-14-2019, 10:04 AM   #7
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
I've got the hyper silver aero 7, love the wheel! Gives a very classy look to the car. However, since i already have it, not super interested if you bring it back or not. I think i'm going with the 17" Arc8 next
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 11:34 PM   #8
Mesarina
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw e87 116i

Nice to see my blue 135i here, I just bought another set of apex wheels in the last group buy, now going with the arc8 design. Nice products
Appreciate 0