BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-25-2016, 09:07 PM   #1
Playnice
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i M Package

Getting An '08 Ready For Winter

Hey guys,

So this will be my first Canadian winter in my 135i.

Couple of things, I'm looking for advice on any preemptive maintenance to get the car ready for the coming winter months.

It gets probably as low as only -10 celcius here in Vancouver (sorry eastcoasters )

The thing is often, it will rain then freeze over night. This was a huge pain in the ass in my old e46, and my door handle would stick alot and other random shit.

I noticed the driver and passenger windows in the 135 automatically (click) after closing the door into place. Has anyone had any issues with that? Should I lube up the rubber seal every once in a while?

Thanks guys for your maintenance routines.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 09:24 PM   #2
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playnice
Hey guys,

So this will be my first Canadian winter in my 135i.

Couple of things, I'm looking for advice on any preemptive maintenance to get the car ready for the coming winter months.

It gets probably as low as only -10 celcius here in Vancouver (sorry eastcoasters )

The thing is often, it will rain then freeze over night. This was a huge pain in the ass in my old e46, and my door handle would stick alot and other random shit.

I noticed the driver and passenger windows in the 135 automatically (click) after closing the door into place. Has anyone had any issues with that? Should I lube up the rubber seal every once in a while?

Thanks guys for your maintenance routines.
What is your mileage at? If you're over 100,000km and on the factory water pump, swap it out along with the thermostat and flush the coolant (prior to removing the WP). The last thing you want is to be stranded with a waterpump failure in winter.

Other than that, fresh oil for the freeze/thaw, winter tires for the ice (I know many of you west coasters don't use winter tires often, but with the RWD it's worth it IMO), washer fluid with alcohol to prevent freezing (i.e. All year or winter) new wipers if yours are streaking, and a little lube on the seals. I've heard a light film of Vaseline works well as ice can't freeze to it, but I store my 1er in the winter. On my daily/winter I use some lube on the seals to keep it from sealing during ice/freezing rain/post car wash but these are traditional doors with framed Windows.

For general maintenance, check out Mike Millers schedule, PDF available via Google.

Appreciate 1
      09-25-2016, 11:01 PM   #3
drunkenup
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i, 2021 F150

Battery in good shape? I know that is going to be on the list for my winter prep
      09-26-2016, 10:51 AM   #4
litebulb
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 E88 135i M-Sport/6MT/SGM

Garage List
I've been driving my cab for 6 years as a DD, no issues in our winters. Even though we don't get much snow, I highly suggest winter tires, especially since your in North Van.
| Dinan S2=>MHD | e46 M3 trans mounts | Dinan CF CAI | ER CP | HKS SSQV4 BOV | RB PCV Valve | VRSF DP | N55 MP | BMW PE | OC | VRSF 7" FMIC | UUC Evo3 SSK | EBC GD Sport Rotors | EBC Redstuff | TRW F+R | | Whiteline KDT918 | H&R Front Sway | BMWP 313 | MPSS 225/255 | Scopione CF Rear Diffuser | iCarbon CF Rear Spoiler | P3 v2.1 Gauge | Interior LED Retrofit |
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 05:10 PM   #5
Playnice
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i M Package

Thank you guys for your input.

I do have winter tires so ill knock that off the list.

Great idea about the vaseline, will definitely be getting some.

Im taking my car in for a servicing this weekend, ill ask about a water pump.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 10:49 PM   #6
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playnice
Thank you guys for your input.

I do have winter tires so ill knock that off the list.

Great idea about the vaseline, will definitely be getting some.

Im taking my car in for a servicing this weekend, ill ask about a water pump.

Cheers!
If you would have a shop do the pump it may be best to wait, it's an expensive job in the shop but a relatively easy DIY job.

Appreciate 0