BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-11-2016, 01:44 PM   #1
1traitor
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 competition

135i ppk vendor question

Hey I keep hearing that there's vendors on here that will do the ppk1 flash for a much cheaper price. I was wondering if that would void my warranty that I have since my car is CPO. Also is there anywhere I can go to get it done
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 08:20 PM   #2
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

You should check out the N54/N55 technical subforum on this site. You'll see a couple of threads there talking about this and the vendor who does his I think has responded in those threads.

I guess technically the dealership can cause you some trouble if you go in with DME related issues which may or may not be related to the PPK install. Note, I am not saying there will be any issues with getting the non dealer sourced PPK update as I've seen plenty of people here who have done it and been satisfied. Just that dealer system will not show you having the PPK done through the dealer network.

I did ask in one of the PPK threads and got a response from the vendor stating if the dealer wipes the PPK install due to flashing the DME, you can get the PPK re-installed for a nominal fee.

But this whole warranty thing is pretty timely. I was over at a family friend's house a week ago. The family friend is a BMW tech. He was telling me about how he red flagged a new M4 for owner tampering. He said the tech assigned to the car originally was trying to figure out why the car was running like crap. They asked the owner a number of times if he had done any aftermarket work on the car. He said no. Later on, my friend said he saw signs of external tampering to the bolts holding stuff down that would be required to be removed to get to the DME. He pulled everything out and saw someone had physically messed with the DME. That's when he got upset and flagged the car. He said had the owner come clean with him that he did something to the car, screwed up, and just wanted to get things right, he would have helped him out. He said because the guy lied to them at least two techs wasted more time than was necessary on his car.

I mention the above as a lot of people give dealers and dealer techs a bad rap. Just relaying what one dealer tech said to me concerning aftermarket upgrades. It's up to you whether you want to say anything to your dealership if they ask you if you did anything to your car.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 11:28 PM   #3
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
I'd do it and roll the dice. I've had it for a few months. The car should have come this way.
      09-12-2016, 08:31 AM   #4
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

I didn't do mine under warranty simply because before my warranty expired I had no knowledge there was a cheaper alternative to the dealer for PPK 1. Had I known, I would definitely done it under warranty. That said, I know my SA and should the car had to have been brought in for engine problems, I would've disclosed the fact that I had it done aftermarket to my SA. Note that there is NO physical removal or modification of the ECU for PPK 1 required by an aftermarket vendor or the dealer, so zx10 guy's post shouldn't scare you away.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 08:36 AM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

The PPK flash is only for N55's(and up to a certain build date. ?). That's because someone uploaded the PPK N55 file onto the web and the cat was let out of the bag. N54 owners are SOL, for now.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 09:19 AM   #6
SkullV
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Unless you physically damaged the OBD2 port or DME harness/unit while plugging the cable in there is no conceivable part of your warranty that could be "voided" by installing the PPK yourself or through a third party. If the car drives away after the install is done, you are good. It is a BMW product that they sell specifically for use on your vehicle. It's one of the few times where the MM Warranty Act would actually serve a purpose.

Now if they wanted to, they could go after you for illegal use of their intellectual property, but I doubt that would be worth anyone's time.
Appreciate 0