BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-18-2015, 03:55 AM   #1
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Borla ProXS Muffler vs Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator

Anyone have any experience with these products?

Desired end state is to maintain current exhaust tone/character of my 128i, but to reduce overall volume. My current set up, from forward to aft is:

1) Stock catted headers, soon to be replaced with AA catless headers
2) Stock section 1 (secondary cats)
3) Stock section 2 (resonator)
4) BMW Performance Exhaust

I love the current sound, but I'm afraid that once I add the headers, it will be too loud. I know that adding a muffler or resonator could help, but I don't see where it could go, other than in replacement of the stock reso. But I can't imagine ANY aftermarket solution would be quieter than OEM...

Is it possible to add an additional muffler/resonator in line with the current stock stuff? Will that get me what I'm after - i.e., same current sound, more or less, just turned down a bit?

Also, does anyone know the diameter of the exhaust tubing? Currently out of the country, so can't measure.

Thanks for any info, or other solutions. FWIW, I have no interest in switching out exhausts at this time (e.g., 135i or SuperSprint).

Cross-posting on E90Post, don't hate.
      06-19-2015, 03:51 AM   #2
mechavore884
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: the fat mobile

wait aren't the super sprint headers on the quieter side? (compared to other options)
6MT/CDV Delete/Injen Intake/berk race exhaust/ Cyba Scoops/ECS cryo rotors/Axxis ultimate pads/H&R coils/BBS LM-esque lol/BMW PE front/whiteline sway/and did i mention 2200 at 1 ohm ...eyeing the auto diff currently
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 04:21 AM   #3
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechavore884 View Post
wait aren't the super sprint headers on the quieter side? (compared to other options)
I have Active Autowerke headers (not installed yet). I don't know if they are actually going to be too loud, or if there is a difference in sound (or how much) between the AA & SS headers. I've heard a couple people say that the AA headers + BMW PE was too loud, but one was on a 328xi with a resonator delete, so not apples-to-apples.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was too loud, however, because honestly the BMW PE by itself is on the upper end of what I'd consider "civilized," lol.

I'm just trying to think of a solution in advance, so that if it is too loud, I'm not scrambling around for ideas. My tentative plan is to install a Borla ProXS muffler in place of the stock section 2, and maybe a pair of Vibrant bottle-style resos in the dual-piped section 1, after the secondary cats. Both are high-flow units that should not impede airflow but improve sound, reduce volume, and dial out rasp and drone.
      06-19-2015, 04:31 AM   #4
mechavore884
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: the fat mobile

LOL triple post (REALLY) trying to get the point across hahaha I kid I kid

but in lieu I get what your saying regarding a low key sound and not attract too much attention, Id imagine an exhaust shop can fab something with a large # of glasspacks (just throwing shots out there) but in reality this may be tough considering we only have but a handful of options regarding exhausts :/ hopefully someone else can chime in as Im sorta thinking about going a similar route
6MT/CDV Delete/Injen Intake/berk race exhaust/ Cyba Scoops/ECS cryo rotors/Axxis ultimate pads/H&R coils/BBS LM-esque lol/BMW PE front/whiteline sway/and did i mention 2200 at 1 ohm ...eyeing the auto diff currently
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 11:07 AM   #5
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Catless headers with the remaining stock exhaust is louder than stock, but not ridiculous. WIthout the resonator its definitely quite loud. I've tried both.

Last edited by 631twentyeighteye; 06-21-2015 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 08:18 PM   #6
Blacksport
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i

B-Bob,

Just installed my AA headers...I have no muffler, which was a very nice sound before, but now sounds like a chainsaw ripping the body...vicious. That's actually good; it means the exhaust is getting out unrestricted. The guy down the street is a performance exhaust shop, I'll have him put a small, straight-thru muffler where the stock muffler was...don't want to lose my power gains...DISA going on in a week or two, then up to Eurowerks in Deerfield for the AA re-flash.

My advice: don't make a decision on your exhaust until you install the headers...that way you won't waste $ with the wrong system.
'13 128i 6sp, '19 Cherokee Ltd 3.2, '17 Ducati SuperSport S Gone But Not Forgotten: 74 Z28, 77 Datsun 280Z (1st 5sp in US), 92 Nissan 300ZTT, 94 MB SL600 V12, 01 M Roadster, 66 Yamaha TwinJet 100, 70 Suzuki X6 Hustler Race: GP/FP Spitfire SCCA, Merlyn FF SCCA, Mazda RX7 IMSA GTU, Yamaha FZR 400 AMA.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 01:43 PM   #7
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
I could be wrong but I think resonators and mufflers address different aspects of sound (tone vs volume). I've never used the Borla but I know they're on the louder side. I do have the Vibrant resonator and it's probably the most effective when it comes to killing rasp. If you click on my videos in my sig you can hear my exhaust. My muffler is as about loud as it can get and the Vibrant does a good job of making the sound civil while maintaining the aggressive tone.
      07-19-2015, 06:52 PM   #8
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Borlas are on the quiet side and have excellent quality, they get my vote.
Appreciate 0