BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-26-2007, 06:08 PM   #23
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Runner View Post
Globe and Mail online discussion with the President of BMW Canada re: pricing in Canada versus the US...

http://www.reportonbusiness.com/serv.../Business/home
Holy Crap. The Leafs should sign this guy up!!!!!
I haven't seen skating that good since Gordie Howe.....:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 06:19 PM   #24
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil85ae86 View Post
Ultimately as long as Canadians keep buying we'll keep getting gouged. Canadians are still buying cars like they are being discontinued or something.

That whole interview was very disappointing... unbelievable if anyone agrees with any of that _________.

my fellow stoopid Canadians, please stop buying new vehicles! I myself recently purchased a new old model, I saved almost 30% ...which is the only reason the deal went through. I'm sure their are better deals to be had so please, for all of us, if you must buy something new today, low ball low ball low ball.

I don't mind paying full pop for a vehicle as long as I know I'm getting value, but when full pop is 1/3rd less in the U.S. I just know I'm getting hosed.

Neil
(prospective 1 series buyer)
You are correct, sir....
I'm prepared to pay 10% more than the Yanks for a comparably equipped vehicle, but if it's 20% - 25% more (as is the case with many of the current models), I will hang unto my 2003 Z4 a few years more or I will figure out how to import a U.S. vehicle.
I think the only way to get Canadian dealers to reduce prices is to collectively hold off buying a new vehicle until the net diff is about 50% of what it is at present.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 11:52 AM   #25
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Here's another lawsuit being filed against the automakers. Hopefully something positive will come out of this.

http://www.thestar.com/article/271100
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 01:17 AM   #26
Dunbar
Private
Rep
Drives:

Why does a weak US dollar entitle Canadians to lower prices? Imagine companies pricing their product at what the market will bear. Canadians love to point out Americas shortcomings so just pretend we don't exist and you'll be happy.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 01:20 AM   #27
123d
Rep
Drives:

:biggrin::biggrin: Your right it does make me happy!!

:drinking:
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 01:33 AM   #28
Dunbar
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123d View Post
:biggrin::biggrin: Your right it does make me happy!!

:drinking:
Awesome, one fewer Canadian who will be complaining about pricing.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 02:42 AM   #29
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
Why does a weak US dollar entitle Canadians to lower prices? Imagine companies pricing their product at what the market will bear. Canadians love to point out Americas shortcomings so just pretend we don't exist and you'll be happy.
It's the same as it was 6 years ago, except reversed. At the time the Canadian dollar was only worth 60 US cents. Americans were coming up here to purchase cars because they were far cheaper. What entitled them to the lower price at the time? Nothing. It has nothing to do with entitlement. It's all about the free market. If people can buy a good for cheaper from vendor A than vendor B, then they will. It's just common sense. Maybe that escapes you.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 04:30 AM   #30
Road Runner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Awesome, one fewer Canadian who will be complaining about pricing.
Whats your problem?

There's dozens of posts from people Canadian and American discussing pricing in these forums. I don't think anyone from this side of the border expects to pay the same or less for the exact same cars as you guys, but we do find the pricing discrepancy is a little unreasonable. If the situation was reversed would you just smile and take it?

If you don't want to hear us complain about pricing, then don't click on the heading that says Canadian Prices.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 03:53 PM   #31
Dunbar
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
It's the same as it was 6 years ago, except reversed. At the time the Canadian dollar was only worth 60 US cents. Americans were coming up here to purchase cars because they were far cheaper. What entitled them to the lower price at the time? Nothing. It has nothing to do with entitlement. It's all about the free market. If people can buy a good for cheaper from vendor A than vendor B, then they will. It's just common sense. Maybe that escapes you.
Actually I don't remember Americans complaining about cheaper prices in Canada 6 years ago. I didn't complain, nor did anybody I know, and I don't recall seeing it on the internet or in the news. This thread should be here to discuss Canadian prices, not become a bitchfest about why the weak dollar entitles Candaians to lower prices.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 04:30 PM   #32
123d
Rep
Drives:

Why don't you stop dictating what can and cannot be discussed. I don’t care if you remember any American complaining, but BMW Canada has made it clear that if they can sell cars for a certain price they will (even though a Canadian can cross the border and save $10,000). So we are making a stand saying we won’t accept this (not selling to Canadians because it is a BMW policy, or at least then make Canadian pricing comparable). And about Americans complaining… I won’t start talking about softwood lumber or other issues that definitely don’t belong in a car forum.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 06:18 PM   #33
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Actually I don't remember Americans complaining about cheaper prices in Canada 6 years ago. I didn't complain, nor did anybody I know, and I don't recall seeing it on the internet or in the news. This thread should be here to discuss Canadian prices, not become a bitchfest about why the weak dollar entitles Candaians to lower prices.
Just because you don't remember, doesn't mean it wasn't an issue. Or because you never heard about it on the news doesn't mean it wasn't an issue, lol. Since when did your recollection of things become the ultimate authority? Believe me, it was a significant issue. Enough so that Mercedes made new purchasers sign a non export (to the USA) agreement. I had first hand experience with that because I signed one of those agreements back in 2002. And I know that other manufacturers in Canada were doing the same thing at the time.

Get a life, and get out of this thread. If it bothers you so much, don't click on the link. I for one do not like being hosed by big business, and I'll be damned if I'm going to sit by and not say anything. Maybe that's what Americans do, but it doesn't make it the correct course of action.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 07:18 PM   #34
Dunbar
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
I for one do not like being hosed by big business, and I'll be damned if I'm going to sit by and not say anything.
Good luck with that, let us know when BMW Canada backs down and reduces prices...

Let me ask you this:

Would you be pissed if BMW raised Canadian prices if the dollar was strong? If you answer yes, why should they reduce prices just becuase the dollar is weak? Heads you win, tails BMW loses doesn't seem so fair to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 10:02 PM   #35
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Good luck with that, let us know when BMW Canada backs down and reduces prices...

Let me ask you this:

Would you be pissed if BMW raised Canadian prices if the dollar was strong? If you answer yes, why should they reduce prices just becuase the dollar is weak? Heads you win, tails BMW loses doesn't seem so fair to me.
They've already started by offering 3k cash back to customers who purchase their cars with cash or through alternate credit sources. Porsche Canada has also reduced prices to reflect he US prices more closely. As to your 'good luck'. No luck needed since it's already happening, though not fast enough. That makes the rest of your post a waste.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 11:28 PM   #36
123d
Rep
Drives:

No mention of how much, but more is happening:

Mercedes-Benz Canada offers subsidies to cash buyers to encourage them to buy in Canada

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/071029-3.htm
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 10:16 AM   #37
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep

The Porsche price reduction and the BMW & MB rebates to cash buyers are a direct result of Canadian consumers bitching about, and resisting, the higher priced goods in Canada (relative to the U.S.).
So I say - bitch on my fellow Canadians. :thumbup:
There's absolutely no sense in having all of the disadvantages of a mighty Cdn dollar and none of the benefits thereof.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 10:46 AM   #38
Road Runner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut View Post

So I say - bitch on my fellow Canadians. :thumbup:
There's absolutely no sense in having all of the disadvantages of a mighty Cdn dollar and none of the benefits thereof.
Hear, Hear!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 11:32 AM   #39
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut View Post
Holy Crap. The Leafs should sign this guy up!!!!!
I haven't seen skating that good since Gordie Howe.....:biggrin:
This comment made my day.

Hopefully, Canada will get some relief from BMW's (and others) abuse of the exchange rate.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 11:40 AM   #40
Klinn
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Actually I don't remember Americans complaining about cheaper prices in Canada 6 years ago.
There certainly was a fair amount of complaining by US dealers who were losing sales either directly to individuals buying cars in Canada, or even worse (from their perspective) other dealers were actually importing them as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar
Yes, I really do wish that car prices fluctuated more quickly in response to currency changes. I see it all the time in electronics markets, e.g. memory chips etc. The idea of making one fixed MSRP for an entire year (or more) seems rather old-fashioned to me. If I'm really concerned about pricing and I can choose when to buy, I'll keep an eye out on price trends and jump in when it looks good to me. If somebody doesn't care and buys a month later when prices are higher, well, that's their choice.

(BTW, the fluctuations would actually be Cdn$ v.s. Euro and US$ v.s. Euro, not Cdn$ v.s. US$ as you mentioned, but that's a minor quibble)
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 04:36 PM   #41
Road Runner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Never noticed this on the BMW website...

Q:
Why do BMW models appear to be less expensive in the U.S.?
A:
While on the surface a U.S. vehicle may appear to be less expensive, there are several other factors that would significantly increase the cost of purchasing and owning a U.S. vehicle.
These include:
  • Features - Canadian and U.S. vehicles generally have different standard equipment levels; as a result, the base MSRP is not an accurate indicator of the actual price difference. For instance, on the BMW 335i Cabriolet, the U.S. model includes Tire Pressure Monitor (approximate value of $350) as standard equipment on top of the base model. However, additional standard equipment on the Canadian model includes heated seats, lumbar support, auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors, electric compass, universal garage door opener, through load with transport bag and Park Distance Control. Combined, all of the Canadian equipment would have a value of approximately $2,400, significantly reducing the price advantage of the U.S. model.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 04:49 PM   #42
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

Whoopee! That's 2.4K of a 10+K difference accounted for.... just how stupid does BMW think its Canadian customers are? Well I guess we have our answer in the above...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 05:02 PM   #43
Road Runner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon K View Post
Whoopee! That's 2.4K of a 10+K difference accounted for.... just how stupid does BMW think its Canadian customers are? Well I guess we have our answer in the above...
That answer also only applies to the 335... so yeah, what you said.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 05:56 PM   #44
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon K View Post
BMW and BMW Canada are out to make as much profit as they can and if I were a shareholder, I'd expect them to do that. :w00t:
As a consumer, I'm looking out for my best interest - and that is not doesn't include giving BMW $10K more profit on a car than they get from a Yankee consumer.
BMW Canada is unlikely to change pricing to reflect the stronger C$ until Canadians apply sufficient pressure (e.g. postpone purchases until prices are adjusted).
With Chrysler Canada today lowering prices of their vehicles below U.S. pricing, it's likely that other Domestics will follow.
While the 1er has no domestic competitor (particular the 1er Cab that I want), I will settle for some domestic (e.g. the Vette or Camaro ragtop or something). :iono:
I/we am/are suffering the downside of the strong dollar, why should we be denied one of the few benefits of a strong dollar.:iono:
If we do accept it, we deserve to get screwed....
Appreciate 0