BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-14-2012, 06:17 AM   #23
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyjoe View Post
This is so called 'noisy diff'. My dealer changed the diff oil to (SAE 75W-140, SAF-SJ, +FM), trying to make noise disappear.
I have followed the instruction to make 20 times of left and right in a circle after the fluid changed, noise seems to be getting lesser but still around.
Now, even I get used to the noise but not from friends of mine. My simple answer to them is “hmmm….. this is ‘M’”
The diff oil additive, in my case, did not fix the issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #24
Plautos
Private First Class
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
Very obvious noise. Has this been confirmed to be a diff failure?
not yet...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #25
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 & 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
My 135 does this too. Has been doing it for a while. In my case I think it comes from both front wheels while turning. The faster and sharper the turn the more audible it is. It's easiest to hear in garages. Have not been able to figure out what it is but as it has not been a real issue I have not brought it up with the dealer either.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #26
m3kerry
SCCA B Street
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M

Sure someone in the thread has answered this for you by now, but that is just what the brakes sound like after some hard driving,
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #27
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3kerry
Sure someone in the thread has answered this for you by now, but that is just what the brakes sound like after some hard driving,
Brakes??? You mean the metal ing ping ping as the floating disks contract on the pins while cooling.

Doubt that you would be able to hear those things happening when cornering at 100km/h ++.

The noise was confirmed as coming from the diff.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 06:36 AM   #28
m3kerry
SCCA B Street
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M

I had gravel get on the pads at my 1st race in the car, and yes you could hear it at 60mph.

Sorry to hear it is the diff.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #29
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

Update: dealership replaced the diff this week.

The noise and metallic ticking grinding is still around on right hand turns only.

The tone has changed since the diff has been changed out so the questions are:

1. What is this grinding I am hearing?
2. Why is it amplifier by the friction modifier?
3. Is this normal operation or is this a deficiency of the mechanical diff??

I would really appreciate the input.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #30
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
If IO am understanding you correctly, it sounds like the diff change did not solve the problem. Did they inspect the axles and bearings?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 09:33 PM   #31
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
If IO am understanding you correctly, it sounds like the diff change did not solve the problem. Did they inspect the axles and bearings?
Diff change did not solve the problem. I will request inspection of right hand side axel, bearings, drive shaft from diff, boots, bushing and wheel bearings.

The diff change did change the tone of metallic grinding clicking. There may be a link to the diff but why is this one making noise as well?

Anything else?

Last edited by rapter; 07-15-2012 at 09:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #32
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

This saga continues.... Last week I took the wheel from another 1m and put it on my drivers rear (location of audible ticking grinding) and was able to re-create the noise with a different tire and rim.

So that helps narrow the problem down to either (1) drive shaft or (2) wheel bearing.

Word amungs experts is that the wheel bearing is causing my issues. Another service appointment is booked for next Monday.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 03:23 AM   #33
DooBs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe 697/740

interesting. I'm getting these ticking noises as well, but not as loud as the one in the video.
Mostly only audible in garages.

Going in for a service tomorrow.
I'll post what i hear as well.
Thank you OP for this thread

L1MTD

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #34
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooBs
interesting. I'm getting these ticking noises as well, but not as loud as the one in the video.
Mostly only audible in garages.

Going in for a service tomorrow.
I'll post what i hear as well.
Thank you OP for this thread
Definitely!

Please keep the post up-to-date withy
Your findings
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #35
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

I'll have to find the thread tomorrow, but just quickly... someone on here narrowed down the noise to the 'suspension bearings'? Apparently for those that wash their cars often, water gets into that area and takes off the lubricant/gel??
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 06:09 PM   #36
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh View Post
I'll have to find the thread tomorrow, but just quickly... someone on here narrowed down the noise to the 'suspension bearings'? Apparently for those that wash their cars often, water gets into that area and takes off the lubricant/gel??
Really... Water affecting the gel huh? I believe it is possible but really shitty. Why would the bearings not be sealed
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #37
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapter View Post
Really... Water affecting the gel huh? I believe it is possible but really shitty. Why would the bearings not be sealed
Of course they're sealed! No, frequent washing and/or driving in the rain has no effect on wheel bearings.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #38
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Of course they're sealed! No, frequent washing and/or driving in the rain has no effect on wheel bearings.

Neil
Yeah, I found that explanation a little suspect myself as well. But, he was referring to the suspension bearings, not the wheel bearings.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...3#post12290913

Check out post #2... and then #22.

ps: I have this noise too and after a dealer visit where they relubed everything, the noise came back after 5-6 days of driving. Don't know what to do now :/
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 01:43 AM   #39
Andrew517
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW135

I have same issue as well, I took my car back to dealer for a series of inspection (took me about 3weeks), they replaced the brake disc, brake pads and wheel bearing. However, the ticking noise could not be fixed. Then they started to check the drive shaft, boots and bushing but no luck on that. They told me today, they cannot locate where the noise coming from, so they ask me to take back the car and wait until mid of August as they record the noise and send back to BMW headquater for solution.. Hoping I will have my luck this time....><
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #40
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew517 View Post
I have same issue as well, I took my car back to dealer for a series of inspection (took me about 3weeks), they replaced the brake disc, brake pads and wheel bearing. However, the ticking noise could not be fixed. Then they started to check the drive shaft, boots and bushing but no luck on that. They told me today, they cannot locate where the noise coming from, so they ask me to take back the car and wait until mid of August as they record the noise and send back to BMW headquater for solution.. Hoping I will have my luck this time....><
Just to summarize:

You have been hearing loud ticking noises when hard-right-hand-turning.

The Dealer has replaced the following parts on your car and one part on mine:

1. Disk Brake
2. Brake Pads
3. Wheel Bearing
4. Differential

If I am not mistaken there is only one part left to be replaced and that is the Drive-shaft.

I would be interested what BMW "head-quarters" has to say about it. I followed the links posted in this thread to the 135i forum and they are saying that it was in fact a wheel bearing issue.

Question, maybe they replaced the wrong wheel bearing (that means the rear instead of the front one of visa-versa) ???? Comments?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 09:32 AM   #41
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Just to summarize:

You have been hearing loud ticking noises when hard-right-hand-turning.

The Dealer has replaced the following parts on your car and one part on mine:

1. Disk Brake
2. Brake Pads
3. Wheel Bearing
4. Differential

If I am not mistaken there is only one part left to be replaced and that is the Drive-shaft.

I would be interested what BMW "head-quarters" has to say about it. I followed the links posted in this thread to the 135i forum and they are saying that it was in fact a wheel bearing issue.

Question, maybe they replaced the wrong wheel bearing (that means the rear instead of the front one of visa-versa) ???? Comments?
Unlikely to be the driveshaft (since noise only occurs when turning in one direction), but could certainly be rear axle/CV joint.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #42
katsooba
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

sorry for not being an M owner, but i had the same exact noise in my 135i when turning hard.

light metally tick that increases with speed at turns, getting fairly loud.

what i did to fix it?

took off both front wheels, cleaned the inside rust from the rim
cleaned the rust from the wheel bearing hub.
regreased all front sway links\bars
put the wheel back on and HAND torqued it to about the same strength for all bolts.

went out, hit a turn! quiet as a whisper.

it wasnt the fenders, wasnt rotor dust shields, wasnt anything else than just simple maintenance.

hope this helps. also, i lightly hammered the hub with a rubber hammer. maybe i was just over doing stuff. but hey, it disappered.!

it really got to the point that people would look at me in the street while i turn and think something is going to come off the car.
      07-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #43
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsooba View Post
sorry for not being an M owner, but i had the same exact noise in my 135i when turning hard.

light metally tick that increases with speed at turns, getting fairly loud.

what i did to fix it?

took off both front wheels, cleaned the inside rust from the rim
cleaned the rust from the wheel bearing hub.
regreased all front sway links\bars
put the wheel back on and HAND torqued it to about the same strength for all bolts.

went out, hit a turn! quiet as a whisper.

it wasnt the fenders, wasnt rotor dust shields, wasnt anything else than just simple maintenance.

hope this helps. also, i lightly hammered the hub with a rubber hammer. maybe i was just over doing stuff. but hey, it disappered.!

it really got to the point that people would look at me in the street while i turn and think something is going to come off the car.
So in your case the metallic noises that you were hearing were caused by the corrosion between the wheel hub and the rim itself??? Very interesting.

It is worth a try to clean everything up at the wheel and wheel bearing. I don't think that I will be able to get underneath my car to the sway-bar bushings.

Do you have an explanation as to why there was a frequency (ticking) or better yet why did corrosion cause a frequency audible noise? Would this be the deflection of the wheel-hub and the rim itself????
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #44
katsooba
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

Hi,

i dont really have any explanation for this but it just seemed logical to me to start taking the wheel apart and checking everything.

i know that dead wheel bearing hum when they die, or CLICK like bike clicks on turns when they are at the end of their days.

this just sounded little different.

jacked the front up, took the wheels off,
i started by turning the steering from under the car and spinning the wheels, nothing, just quiet.

so ofcourse that the noise is coming from a side load, also when i turned the wheel all the way i noticed how all the links sway each side, so i thought this can be a main load point [well.. duh].

cleaned it all with an air spray can, then sprayed it with cleaner, and finally regreased every joint i could reach.

what do you know, noise is gone!

im not a pro mechanic, just a hobbyist that like fiddling around with car parts.

in my case that did the trick, maybe other cases just wont help.

i wanted to upload a vid of my ticking noise, but once i saw the above vid and hit the 0:40 secs mark when he turned right, i couldnt mistake this noise for something else, i have had the EXACT same issue but on BOTH wheels. listen carefully for a faint and fast ticktickticktick just as he turns right at 0:40, turn up the vol. i cant mistake this noise, it drove me crazy, sound like a water sprinkler returning on its ratchet mechanism hehe

like this one

rust and dust may cause this.

i cleaned everything and greased all i could.

its gone!

Last edited by katsooba; 07-26-2012 at 10:07 AM..
Appreciate 0